PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
"What pawn shop run by a normal human being would accept a pipe?"
Pawn Shops? None. But you can also probably walk into a small "antique/collectible" shop and find a pipes that a number of people probably walked in and sold to the shop for 5 or 6 dollars.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
No where in my response was "pawn shop" mentioned. There is a shop in Anchorage that buys used pipes in quantity and vends them. It also sells new pipes, tobaccos, etc. I hesitate to refer to it as a tobacco shop as the girl who runs it, she took over when her father died, also sells edged weapons and an assortment of "head shop" inventory. Her father was an old pipe smoker, pipes were his hobby and business. He also restored pipes and at one time had an amazing assortment of meers collected over the years. But, it is not a "hock shop."
As the suspects in the above theft are probably kids and have no idea of value, a tobacco shop would be the first place they would go to try and make some cash. It's just good, logical police thinking developed through years of thinking like dumb ass crooks.
A tobacconist would probably not be interested in buying but, having been alerted to the theft would know where the pipes came from and could alert the police and the victim. This in turn could result in arrests and the return of the property.
Nothing I wrote should have caused a sarcastic reply. It's simply a matter of getting the information out to logical people in the hopes of getting leads. It's called "leg work" in the business. It often gets results.

Warren, I wasn't addressing you. Just making a rant in general.

5 to 6 bucks? I'm not sure a criminal would risk getting caught for that. I'm not up to date on the cost of drugs, but I'll bet that $5 a pipe wouldn't buy a crackhead a good fix for very long. Like I said, I will lay odds on them being tossed as soon as they realized that they were tobacco pipes. I'm not even sure tobacco pipes make good pot pipes. Don't they like really small bowls so that they don't have to work so hard to get a lighter close to the weed? I'm just guessing here. I don't think I've ever heard to tobacco pipes being used for drugs, for whatever reason.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Forgot about antique shops. Good suggestion. Also, any tobacconist within a few miles. Just get the word out to any logical, and illogical places you can think of. Even hock shops are a good idea. Chances are the miscreants who stole your stuff have no idea what they are doing. If they had, they wouldn't have taken the pipes unless they were, perish the thought, pipe smokers themselves. Which some of the members would insist is not possible as there are no "bad" pipers.
Remember, we're not talking about professional thieves here. Most likely you were hit by dopers looking for anything they might be able to get a buck for. These are not logical thinkers!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Why would someone do that?
Someone once suggested that about 20% of the population commits 80$ of the crimes, and my experience suggests this is so.
I am very sorry to hear of it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Cosmic: My apologies. Knee jerk reaction I suppose. It's cold and I was feeling peckish.
You are applying logical and rational thinking to people who do not use any logic, nor are they rational. They're damned dangerous some of them. Trust me I've seen some of the stuff these folks take. There really is not rhyme nor reason. Sometimes it just has to look nice or pretty, anything that catches the eye. I've seen bagpipes stolen, cheap acoustic guitars, mismatched pairs of shoes, a box of adult diapers, old golf clubs, and I could go on.
They'll rob banks for a couple hundred dollars of wired and booby trapped cash, risking a bunch of years in prison for nothing. The are not thinking, they just know they need what they need and that it takes money. There's never been a successful bank robbery in Anchorage. Two highways out of town, mountains on one side water on the other. Of course they're not thinking of getting away with the crime, only feeding the need. So once or twice a year we might be kept busy for usually no more than thirty minutes. The FBI spent more time processing the crime scene. More than once the tracking vehicle arrived at the perp's destination before the newly dyed perp.

No problem Warren. Yeh, I admit, I was being a downer.

I'm no law man. But yeh, I've grown up in jewelry stores and seen smash and grabs where tens of thousands of dollars worth of gold and diamonds ended up in a garbage can just down the road. The perp freaks out after the robbery and ditched the jewels, robbers remorse. Not always, but I've seen it happen twice. And yeh, we've had a night burglary, where they left tons of diamonds and too a display of fake class rings. Usually of someone is stupid enough to rob someone, they're not very intelligent to begin with.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Where I work at the EMS base, there's always people in and out, someone is at Dispatch (my desk) 24/7, so theft isn't an issue for my workplace.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Thank you everyone for your kind words and keeping my hopes up a little bit. Good news is that they found out it was two guys and they arrested one last night trying to hock a computer. but he wouldnt give up the other guy or the location of the rest of the stuff. He was arrested about 30 miles from where the break in occured.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's odd that the pipes weren't covered - you may want to check on your homeowners insurance, mine has some similar coverage for personal items in rental cars, hotel rooms, etc. I do keep a spreadsheet and photo catalog of all of my pipes, backed up with other stuff on a storage drive and in my Drop-box account.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I like a middle path option: exile for pipe thieves.
Nah, just hang em!
Erik, I am so sorry about the loss! Nothing jerks my chain like someone taking something I have busted my chops to earn.

Jun 4, 2014
Glad to hear they caught one of the thieves, hopefully he will roll on his buddy and you will recover the rest of your property.
I would think that your pipes would be covered under your homeowners as they are personal property (Contents). Most homeowners policy will provide you with 10% of your Contents coverage limit for personal property away from the premises. Ask the claims adjuster to show you the policy exclusion for tobacco pipes.

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
First of all, sorry for your loss! It is also happened to me.

But because of the generosity of the members of this forum (especially for shaintiques and the free pipe project) I got a great rotation of pipes. I hope you can find your pipes somewhere (not only the pouch)

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
@janosh The members here are amazing people. Sorry to hear your stuff walked off also but congrats on the new child! Well 3 months now?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, great that one of the perps was caught! Hope this leads to your recovering your pipes. Pipes have stories attached and associations that aren't strictly replaceable. Gifts, sometimes prizes. Even the low-cost pipes can turn out to be phenomenal smokers you can't easily replace. At least when thieves are caught, they are given a reason and a chance to turn their lives in another direction, if they are that insightful. Not a lot of sympathy for this guy, but some who start out rotten learn better as they go. One hopes. Hope the stash of your stuff is found and returned. It will have to live in the evidence locker for a year, but knowing it is in hand and headed home would be a good feeling. You'll also likely have to go testify in court. Time lost, but worth it.

Sep 23, 2015
Georgia
There are few thing lower than someone who would steal a pipe. That's right up there with stealing someone's fishing rod...it's just not done.
I had a nice Missouri Meerschaum Bulldog stolen in 1992. I turned my back for just a moment, and someone reached into my car window and took it of the dash, and ran like the wind. Unfortunately, they had been discontinued by that time. It was one of a set of two, a straight and a bent. I still have the straight. I feel your pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.