PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't use wax or polish, and I don't use buffer. I use a paper towel to wipe down the stem and to get the oil from my hands off the pipe, and then to wipe out the bowl, and polish the pipe with a soft cloth. I don't want the pipes to look new, just well maintained.

"Product," polish or wax, leaves a residue, and a buffer wears off the finish.

I realize this isn't everybody's way, but it seems to work for me. Some pipes I bought new are now forty years old or more and look really good.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I just ordered a couple ounces of Reaissance Wax.
As I stated above, I’m a “use it and wipe it off like the tool it is” guy, but I just followed @georged’s “dishwashing” method of cleaning up a 1929-31KBB Kaywoodie 7204 that needed the bowl topped back to square after some angry beaver in the past 90 some odd years hacked and poorly beveled it.
The “suntan” finish seems to be just naked wood, as the part I topped matches the shade of the pipe pretty well, and should be nice after the wax.
I’m gonna use the Renaissance Wax in this case to give it its best shot at another 90 years.
Before and after:0920401F-86B6-4826-9741-3BE26C0D9E19.jpeg
7C0F4ACC-5EC0-49FE-B51B-076096D0B2B5.jpeg

Last edited:
G

Gimlet

I just rub over with a dab of good vegetable oil - cold pressed rapeseed which is thicker and darker than the cheap stuff or olive oil - on a kitchen towel. Works particularly well on rusticated briars. Cleans them up and really brings out the texture and colours. Will darken pale wood over time though.

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
I don't wax as I like the natural finish pipes obtain after awhile.

If the briar is really nasty, I use a small bit of olive oil to remove the grime and obtain the natural patina.

H

HRPufnstuf

I use mineral oil as vegetable oils will eventually get rancid.
I agree, cutting block oil with a microfibre cloth cleans and shines everything without a mess or excess gloss. It can even be used to maintain finished cobs.

Figure 1.Brigham Voyageur 129.JPG
The rustication stays rustic and the finish glows warmly. Even the stem can be maintained with it, it is food safe. It will not eliminate stem chatter.MM Legend.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
Shiny pipes are a choice, as is preferring them dull and scratched, apparently dirty. The board ethos is shiny, but if no one sees your pipes who's to know, unless of course you gather with the boys for a smoke and conversation at a B&M.