PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Some detail their vehicles weekly, some (like me) maintain mechanical systems and wash their trucks a couple times a year (we get a couple rain seasons here in the desert).
The former hold original lustre and more aesthetic, the latter keep on working and fulfilling their role as a tool.

I don’t have any high dollar pipes, I currently enjoy smoking the heck out of mid-century American pipes. They get a wipe down and the bowls and airways maintained well. I do keep oil soap and a rag with furniture polish and clean up estates, and do clean up a pipe before setting it aside for a bit.

If you enjoy constantly maintaining the sheen and polish on your pipes, there are great online sources, including the comments above and I’m sure more will follow (and hundreds of posts here you can search and read).

Whatever brings you joy and contentment.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I usually give my pipes a polish after I've done a really thorough and deep clean, before retiring them from rotation for a while. I do like a high gloss finish when I'm done. To this purpose I use both the Halcyon and Paragon pipe waxes, which are more specialized versions of Renaissance wax.
Just spread a TINY amount on the pipe, give it 30 seconds to start setting up, and start rubbing it with your hands, no cloths, no nothing. The friction caused by rubbing the particles against itself will produce a mirror like shine, much better than you get with a cloth. If you like a softer shine, use a cloth.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It used to be possible. But, alas!!! They are a dying breed. Street shoeshiners. I'm positive if you hand 'em a five bill, one of 'em will show you how to put a spit shine on you pipe with just a rag and a touch of wax.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I do not believe pipes require waxing ever save for personal preference.

I like to buy many different shapes of pipes and dedicate pipes to styles of tobacco and even specific makes and types of tobacco. So for me I would rather buy three to maybe five excellent quality very functional pipes for the price of one high-end, purely esthetic artistic pipe. They are beautiful for sure just not for me. And buying more tobacco is where I most want to spend my dollars, notwithstanding buying another new pipe.

I can see if one did have a highly prized pipe either based on opinion, sentimental or dollar value, waxing might keep it looking a certain way. That's up to the owner.

While some may enjoy waxing pipes and looking at shiny pipes in a case, for me, I want to smoke tobacco. I've never found a better way to smoke pipe tobacco without a pipe, so for me pipes are somewhat a tool, a means to an end. I buy pipes to smoke and enjoy tobacco.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Most modern pipes have really good sealers on them and will shine for years, maybe you just need a paper towel or rag wipe. Heck even many older pipes do, I have pipes from the 30’s that still shine without any waxing or buffing, maybe the occasional wipe…

However, storage is an issue. I traded this guy a 10 yr old Sav in perfect condition, and he kept it in his greenhouse. Within a year it had dulled and looked like something you get at a junk shop. I was heartbroken even though it wasn’t even my pipe anymore. So storing pipes indoors with no sun is important, which most do anyways.

pipesbywoo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2023
Los Angeles
www.etsy.com
I don't polish my pipes with any regularity. If I feel so inclined, a little carnauba wax on the buffing wheel is all that's needed to bring out the shine again. Also, I use Obsidian Pipe Stem Oil on both my acrylic and Ebonite stems (as well as on the briar itself).

Reactions: Nevaditude

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
I'll chime in with agreement on this general principal: If you like shiny pipes, then yeah, you're going to have to wax and buff them. If you don't give a monkeys, then count yourself lucky, and start planning what to do with all that free time you didn't waste polishing your pipes.

And as an aside I'll add one more thing in case it applies to anyone else. My saliva is incredibly reactive with vulcanite. So much so that a stem will start to get yellow around the bit after just a few smokes for me. I have found that a carnuba wax and buff does a better job of protecting the stem against the yellowing and for a longer time as compared to obsidian oil.

Reactions: FLDRD

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I only own a few pipes. My favorite is a kaywoodie which I stripped the cheap varnish from, removing the shine. After, I rubbed in a light layer of cheap oil and started smoking. I prefer the look and feel of my pipe this way, no shine needed puffy

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I usually give my pipes a polish after I've done a really thorough and deep clean, before retiring them from rotation for a while. I do like a high gloss finish when I'm done. To this purpose I use both the Halcyon and Paragon pipe waxes, which are more specialized versions of Renaissance wax.
Just spread a TINY amount on the pipe, give it 30 seconds to start setting up, and start rubbing it with your hands, no cloths, no nothing. The friction caused by rubbing the particles against itself will produce a mirror like shine, much better than you get with a cloth. If you like a softer shine, use a cloth.

I just tried this with my Radice Rind Straight, the top of the rim.

It turned out really glossy/shiny, and the surface was slicker too, much more than if I buffed with a cloth.

Is this also better for protecting, than buffing with a cloth?

I was wondering if rubbing wax out with a finger, actually helps preserve and protect better, like your impregnating it actually more into the wood, instead of rubbing it away with a cloth? 🤔

P.S. On a rusticated finish, hmm might be tricky getting in all the cracks, and better for smooth finishes?

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just tried this with my Radice Rind Straight, the top of the rim.

It turned out really glossy/shiny, and the surface was slicker too, much more than if I buffed with a cloth.

Is this also better for protecting, than buffing with a cloth?

I was wondering if rubbing wax out with a finger, actually helps preserve and protect better, like your impregnating it actually more into the wood, instead of rubbing it away with a cloth? 🤔

P.S. On a rusticated finish, hmm might be tricky getting in all the cracks, and better for smooth finishes?
On sandblasts I don’t worry about the crevices, just brightening up the high spots.
To this end I spread out a tiny amount on the palms of my hands, give it 30 seconds or so to set up, then lightly rub the surface so that only the high spots get the polish.

Last edited: