Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FltMedic

Lurker
Jun 9, 2023
Pipe polishing, is this something that is needed?

Title edited for caps and brevity. Original, above.
But, much more important, welcome!!

Hi folks. I just found this forum and boy I'm glad I did. I've been smoking a pipe for about 2 weeks now and love it. I have of course been using YouTube to learn all the things. I am a bit confused about waxing the pipe as everything has been somewhat cryptic. Is this something that should be done with every cleaning? Is it just the bowl that needs it or does the stem as well? All of my stems are acrylic at this point. What brand of wax should I be looking to get?

Thanks in advance, all y'all rock.

Last edited by a moderator:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You don't need to wax anything. Some people like shiny things, but even those won't wax their pipe until they think it's a little dull. Just wiping the outside of pipe with soft cloth after smoke is good enough. However, inside of pipe, you want to clean it completely after each smoke.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
There's no hard and fast rule. That's probably why you found what you saw on Youtube to be somewhat cryptic. If you choose to polish your pipes to keep them shiny, you can buff them with Carnauba wax. There are also many products on the market that work fairly well without buffing--some are made especially for the briar and some for the vulcanite stems. Halcyon works very well in that regard. Wiping of the pipe with a clean cloth after each smoke or two will keep the pipe and stem clean. There are also pipe cloths with polish soaked in that work pretty well at least until the next smoke. These cloths are all pretty much the same IMHO, regardless of price.

Reactions: yanoJL

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm a buff-a-holic and have a buffer with multiple wheels. That being said, the simplest way to keep your pipes shiny is to get yourself a can of Favor furniture polish and a new rag. Hose down both sides of the rag and let it dry for a few days. Use that to wipe down your pipe and restore the shine.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If you have a pipe you don’t care about the finish, no worries, but if you buy some day an expensive pipe, then you might care to protect it, then you might want to wax it.

It’s not just about keeping it look shiny, but protecting the finish, stain, etc...

Paragon and Halcyon are two waxes widely used and quite good.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I prefer a soft sheen. I use Howard Wax-It-All periodically on briar and vulcanite stems. This product is solid and comes in a small tub. It is a mixture of beeswax,carnauba, and mineral oil. If you use the warm water method to clean pipes, rubbing in some of this product after the pipe is dry will give the briar a warm soft glow. Enjoy your pipe journey!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I like clean looking pipes with just a soft sheen.
Absolutely no love for the “wet/just oiled” hard, shiny lacquered floorboard look

Buffing with a tee-shirt, microfibre cloth, Chux wipe after a smoke Is usually all it takes.
As does using a jeweller’s cloth - not just for the silver, but bowl and stem as well

If I’m cleaning up an old estate then I will use Paragon/Halcyon or IbePen/La Belle Epoque’s Before&After Briar Balm.
Others have mentioned products like Renaissance Wax

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I made my own wax with equal parts of carnauba wax, beeswax and some solvent of vegetable origin. For the minimum quantities that are obtained by mail I had to manufacture as for several lifetimes of smoking pipe. Then I put it in several empty tobacco tins. I then use an old cotton rag to polish the pipes and they come out great.