PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I really like them but I got a little sideways on size on a bunch from E-bay they are BIG comepaired to what I can get at my local B & M.. so they fit some but not all of my pipes 12mm is big LoL live and learn

choppa

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2012
Maui
I just ordered some to go with the new pipes i bought. I guess I'll give them a try and let you know what I think.
Wow... A 10 min. video for shrink tube... Sorry my ADD wouldn't let me sit through it ;*)

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I'm with Philip, I like them on some of my pipes, but not all. However I do prefer the ones without a lip, it does get a bit thick.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I'm a 50% clencher 50% holder, I like taking my softy bits on and off all the time and feeling the natural surface of the stem. This doesn't quite work for me, I just try getting stems that are not real wide and if they are, not real thick. I love cobs because you can replace the stems for 50 cents or $8 for a freehand without sending the pipe in. For better briars with stems that trigger gag reflex with the pipe softy, I am probabley just going to either be a holder or to get an extra stem or two made for clenching, and keep the original stem safe.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i tried them, not to protect pipe stems, but my teeth. pipes are cheaper and easier to replace, as far as i know. anyway, i couldn't stand the feel and figured i'd just clench harder because they're softer.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I tried them out when I first started...yeah no I'm a clencher and without the firmness of the stem it's just not as comfortable to me. They also tend to make my mouth water worse. I was out camping and after the first one or two bowls the softies came off and were deposited with the used pipe cleaners on top of the fire

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I use them on a few of my pipes and I hate them. Unfortunately they are a necessary evil since it is impossible to clench some of my pipes without them.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
They definitely do their job of protecting the stem from teeth marks. As many have mentioned, comfort is just a matter of preference. I personally love them because I tend to clench pretty hard and have a habit of somewhat chewing or grinding on things like toothpicks and I catch myself subconsciously doing it with a pipe in my teeth. The rubber bit makes my pipes much more comfortable to clench IMO and definitely saves the stems from the abuse I put them through.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Since posting this thread I learned that I hate clenching so it really isn't an issue for me any more. I will say that for me they were comfortable on certain pipes and uncomfortable on others.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Like many of you, the pipe makes the difference as to if the bits are needed/usable. Overall I think they are too thick, too, but they definitely protect the stems.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
@Photoman - I couldn't help but notice you posted you hate clenching but have an avatar of you clenching your pipe. lol Just thought it funny. :rofl:
I just started using the rubber bits and i have to say it actually helps my TMJ. I really like heavier pipes and occasionally clench to use both hands. The larger pipes would make my TMJ act up. I do not even feel lighter pipes in my mouth with the bits on the stem.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
I used to use them but switched over to food-grade, heat shrink tubing. Cut a 3/4 inch length and shrink it around the bit using a heat gun. They hardly add any extra thickness to the bit and are easy to replace when they start getting chewed up.
hamlet.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
eaglerico, have to pose for the pictures lol.
Yachtexplorer that is a killer pipe you have there. I too would be curious where you found food grade heat shrink tubing.

Status
Not open for further replies.