PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I use them... I clean them when I clean my pipe and have had not adverse reactions so far...

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I finally got around to getting a few. I don't care for them but I do use one on a Kaywoodie billiard I tend to clench.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I don't like them on fishtails (I got a strong gag reflex that they trigger). But they work great on Peterson P-lips so I can clench them, where the stems are so small, the pipe softies don't aggrevate me.

Jul 12, 2011
I started off with them when I first started pipe smoking, they work..

I found on the hand-mades that you lose the overall comfort

and feel of the hand-cut stems, so I don't tend to use them anymore

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I have them on most of my pipes...sometimes they dont fit right on some bigger, smaller, thinner stems...Be careful of the clear/white ones from ebay...I ordered some of them and they were bigger than the black ones and they DO NOT work!

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
You can get them at just about any pipe store or on line.

I use them on some pipes.....the ones I tend to clinch and or walk around with in my mouth.

They are rubbery so do fit any stem. The ones I have have a rim on them. I trim it off because I have found them a lot more comfortable without it. I would recommend buying 3 or so they are pretty cheap. Try with and without rim see what you like best.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I tried them for a while but I just can't get used to them. +1 teeth marks add character.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
It depends what you mean by "work" Do they help to stop teethmarks in stems? Yes. Are they more comfortable? That depends on the smoker. I don't like the added thickness and I find the give that they have causes me to clench harder, making my jaw uncomfortable.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I sue the and like them, I'm not a clencher so where i do clench i find it more comfortable.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I don't like them. I threw the ones I ordered (about 3 years ago) in a drawer. If anybody wants them PM me. I'll send them to you for free. I think I have about 4. I will have to go look.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm not a fan. They also make me gag and just feel too bulky. I love the feel of a slender comfy fishtail bit. the heat shrink ones might be a good idea...I didn't even know they made those.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
I'm personally not a fan of them. Makes the stem feel thicker and not natural i.e. the way the pipe maker intended the pipe to feel in the mouth. Again, just a preference and +2 to teeth marks adding a personal character to the pipe. G1

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
Originally posted by ohin3

the heat shrink ones might be a good idea...I didn't even know they made those.

They don't; it's more of a DIY project. Below is a video of how to do it with a candle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjCjp3C3nXQ

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
I never thought I would like them but after trying one, I now have them on all my pipes as well.
Being a clincher, they feel good to my teeth...... :puffy:

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I tried one, and it irritated my mouth. I have a mild latex allergy and the compounds must be similar. I took it off and all good!

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've been back and forth on tying them. I'm a clencher so the thought of something to make the stem more comfortable sounds appealing. However, the thought of biting on rubber doesn't. I'll eventually give them a try. Might be a good fit for some of my heavier pipes.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
They do feel good on the teeth but my thicker stemmed pipes make my jaw hurt because it is open to wide for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.