PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Is it just me or does this not make any logical sense? Zero regulations on drugs and tons of regulations on tobacco. No problem with people being stoned out of their gourds and moving about in a haze, but god forbid you sit and enjoy a quiet bowl with a cup of coffee. And hell, I even like the devil's lettuce on a Saturday night or Sunday so it's not like I'm against it. I'm in NY and they are heading towards the same stupidity.

Maybe I'm just too slow to understand these things.
All the pot heads grew up and are now community activists and politicians. They are striking back at tobacco smokers because it so far has not been illegal to smoke tobacco. They just want to inflict their past pain on others.

Where's that sarcasm button.... never mind.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I've lived here for almost nine years and I don't ever recall seeing a tobacco pipe smoker in that time. Plenty of the Devil's Lettuce being smoked everywhere now though.

I wish I could have experienced earlier times here like you did. I've got friends who were born and raised in Oregon and they have great stories.
Most people who hear horror stories of Oregon and Washington have only heard stories of cities like Eugene, Portland, Seattle etc. where lawlessness, homelessness, and drug use run rampant. The other half of the state lives in rural areas where the politics and lifestyles are by and large the complete opposite of those reflected in the population centers. This is a problem all around the country and is further deepening the urban/rural and political divide. It's frustrating to have cities like Eugene and Portland dictate the laws that we all have to abide by in the rest of the rural areas of the state when our lifestyles are so incredibly different.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
If they really wanted to kill tobacco, they should go after internet sales and make it so I can't buy something locally or from other states. Force me to go to a black market

WA State:

RCW 70.155.140

Shipping or transporting tobacco products ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet prohibited—Penalty.​

(1) A person may not:
(a) Ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, any tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet to anyone in this state other than a licensed wholesaler or retailer; or
(b) With knowledge or reason to know of the violation, provide substantial assistance to a person who is in violation of this section.
(2)(a) A person who knowingly violates subsection (1) of this section is guilty of a class C felony, except that the maximum fine that may be imposed is five thousand dollars.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Most people who hear horror stories of Oregon and Washington have only heard stories of cities like Eugene, Portland, Seattle etc. where lawlessness, homelessness, and drug use run rampant. The other half of the state lives in rural areas where the politics and lifestyles are by and large the complete opposite of those reflected in the population centers. This is a problem all around the country and is further deepening the urban/rural and political divide. It's frustrating to have cities like Eugene and Portland dictate the laws that we all have to abide by in the rest of the rural areas of the state when our lifestyles are so incredibly different.
Divide and conquer is the oldest trick in the book and it's been achieved thoroughly now, to the point of being completely irreconcilable.

The best solution IMO would be a peaceful national divorce...but unfortunately that is both politically and logistically impossible.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
WA State:

RCW 70.155.140

Shipping or transporting tobacco products ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet prohibited—Penalty.​

(1) A person may not:
(a) Ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, any tobacco product ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet to anyone in this state other than a licensed wholesaler or retailer; or
(b) With knowledge or reason to know of the violation, provide substantial assistance to a person who is in violation of this section.
(2)(a) A person who knowingly violates subsection (1) of this section is guilty of a class C felony, except that the maximum fine that may be imposed is five thousand dollars.

Exactly. If you combine local laws prohibiting the sale of tobacco like they have in California with the prohibition of purchasing via the internet like Washington and Maine have done, you'd be effectively cut off from normal means of purchasing most (if not all) pipe tobacco.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Is it just me or does this not make any logical sense? Zero regulations on drugs and tons of regulations on tobacco. No problem with people being stoned out of their gourds and moving about in a haze, but god forbid you sit and enjoy a quiet bowl with a cup of coffee. And hell, I even like the devil's lettuce on a Saturday night or Sunday so it's not like I'm against it. I'm in NY and they are heading towards the same stupidity.

Maybe I'm just too slow to understand these things.

"You are not too slow, you are simply unwilling to acknowledge the superiority of our vision for the world..."

Says this Portland resident (the one in black... the other one isn't allowed to speak):

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 3.15.16 PM.png

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
is austin any better?

just kidding (mostly)
I wouldn’t say I like Austin better but I like Texas better than Oregon, even though Oregon is beautiful. Im getting old so I avoid the city as much as I can. I work remote and I’m way up north, almost Cedar Park and I just stay in my hood. Austin & Portland are similar in a lot of ways though, you are right.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I wouldn’t say I like Austin better but I like Texas better than Oregon, even though Oregon is beautiful. Im getting old so I avoid the city as much as I can. I work remote and I’m way up north, almost Cedar Park and I just stay in my hood. Austin & Portland are similar in a lot of ways though, you are right.
Do they have trees and forests there?

I'd like to move somewhere with lots of trees, preferably hardwoods, and not too much snow and not too humid in the summers, and where senior citizens get free beer and BBQ.

Anywhere like that in TX?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Do they have trees and forests there?

I'd like to move somewhere with lots of trees, preferably hardwoods, and not too much snow and not too humid in the summers, and where senior citizens get free beer and BBQ.

Anywhere like that in TX?
Texas is big so I’m sure there is. East Texas has the trees you are looking for. Our trees in Austin look like bushes compared to Oregon. Have you ever been to Flagstaff, AZ? That is my favorite place in the US.

BlueRidge

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2022
Just messin with ya. I spent years in Oregon and a few miles away from I-5 either way you’d never know it’s moonbat territory. Beautiful country that’s for sure, hate it for the rural dwellers

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Texas is big so I’m sure there is. East Texas has the trees you are looking for. Our trees in Austin look like bushes compared to Oregon. Have you ever been to Flagstaff, AZ? That is my favorite place in the US.
No, but I've thought of Flagstaff, hear it's high enough that it stays reasonable in the summer. Just looked it up and avg high of 82 in July, and it's dry. Homes are much lower than here. Which are the best parts of town? We like walking/hiking. Maybe we can meet up there in a few years for a pint and bowl!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
No, but I've thought of Flagstaff, hear it's high enough that it stays reasonable in the summer. Just looked it up and avg high of 82 in July, and it's dry. Homes are much lower than here. Which are the best parts of town? We like walking/hiking. Maybe we can meet up there in a few years for a pint and bowl!
I grew up there, so I have fond memories of it. Beautiful mountains in our backyard, amazing hiking, great swimming just about 30 minutes south in Sedona. We grew up in the Foxglenn neighborhood. It’s changed some since then but still has the same vibe. One of the best kept secrets of AZ.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013