PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
What constitutes a “flavor”? Is the rat poison in cigarettes a flavor? Get those on the bill and it will die immediately!

Anyway, yeah reefer is one thing, but no pipe tobacco in a state where magic mushrooms are now legal? I mean….come on….

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
What constitutes a “flavor”? Is the rat poison in cigarettes a flavor? Get those on the bill and it will die immediately!

Anyway, yeah reefer is one thing, but no pipe tobacco in a state where magic mushrooms are now legal? I mean….come on….
According to the proposed legislation, anything other than "tobacco flavor" or "cannabis flavor" is considered flavored.

Oregon has decriminalized "personal use" amounts of almost all drugs, including heroin, with disastrous results. They want to send you right to the slammer though for selling a pouch of Black Cavendish.

Reactions: LeafErikson and SBC

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Over the years I've learned that our government lacks the ability to think and make laws rationally. Instead of exerting effort to a subject it is easier to create a blanket statement law, not to mention that it seems that the people proposing these laws are avidly against whatever subject the law is targeting. I would assume most agree that vapes, that were initially marketed to people trying to quit smoking, have now found the younger of the age spectrum as the most demanding of these products. I would think that most agree that vaping can't possibly be healthy and never cause any adverse health issues. The fact is that there should be an age limit for sure but other than that, as stated in an earlier post, my body my choice.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Sigh.
Washington and Oregon were great places to live back in the 70s. I was based in Seattle from 72-78 (including nine months in Moclips, Wa.) and it was a great place for pipe smoking. We used to hang out at Green Lake on weekends and commonly saw pipe smokers walking around the lake (smoking tobacco, not wacky weed.) Now, we would probably be arrested for lighting a tobacco pipe.

Portland, Astoria and Coos Bay were also good places for pipe smokers.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I hated that they don’t allow you to pump your own gas there. It was something I never got used to. After seeing that video posted, I’m glad I left Portland when I did.
I thought that I would hate it when I first moved here, but over the years I've come to appreciate not having to get out of my vehicle to pump gas when the weather is shitty, which is fairly often here on the coast.

What I don't like though is that more and more gas stations here are now requiring you to pay first before they will pump your gas. So instead of asking for a fill up and paying the total, you have to estimate how much money it will take to fill up your tank, pay the money, get your tank filled, and then wait for the attendant to retrieve your change. This greatly extends the time it takes to get gas.

They are allowing self service now in rural counties with less than 40,000 residents, and I have always filled my own tank on my motorcycles.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Sigh.
Washington and Oregon were great places to live back in the 70s. I was based in Seattle from 72-78 (including nine months in Moclips, Wa.) and it was a great place for pipe smoking. We used to hang out at Green Lake on weekends and commonly saw pipe smokers walking around the lake (smoking tobacco, not wacky weed.) Now, we would probably be arrested for lighting a tobacco pipe.

Portland, Astoria and Coos Bay were also good places for pipe smokers.
I've lived here for almost nine years and I don't ever recall seeing a tobacco pipe smoker in that time. Plenty of the Devil's Lettuce being smoked everywhere now though.

I wish I could have experienced earlier times here like you did. I've got friends who were born and raised in Oregon and they have great stories.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
You read the article, and it’s not really about “tobacco products” at all; it’s about vaping. I’d like someone to explain how vaping has anything to do with “tobacco products.” (That’s rhetorical, BTW. I actually have zero interest in any discussion about vaping.)
the public facing fight is vaping something most ppl don’t care about, it’s all the crap they don’t talk about that you should worry about, this is how government works, people watch the left hand not the right, look at any bill, how do you think a “budget” gets to be 3500 pages that never get read.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Didn't one of the New England colonies states also ban flavored tobacco, but the pipeshops were given exclusions for selling aromatic pipe tobaccos?
It seems to be a law that everyone on here freaks out about, but really turns out to be a bid adoo about nothing.

Sort of like how the FDA apocalypse panned out.
There are no such exclusions in this legislation.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Didn't one of the New England colonies states also ban flavored tobacco, but the pipeshops were given exclusions for selling aromatic pipe tobaccos?
It seems to be a law that everyone on here freaks out about, but really turns out to be a bid adoo about nothing.

Sort of like how the FDA apocalypse panned out.
Really? When obama weaponized the FDA prices changed quite a bit. And wasnt that about the time some blends disappeared?

Last edited:
Reactions: Briar Tuck
Really? When obama weaponized the FDA prices changed quite a bit. And wasnt that about the time some blends disappeared?
Some blends by a few of the smaller companies that just folded under the stress of worry ::;cough cough::: Hearth and Home. But, we've also seen many new blends hit the market since and many of the blends we "thought" were going away, didn't. It just didn't pan out like the forum said it would.

And, in most of the areas that set up flavor bans, you can still buy flavored pipe tobaccos. Maybe all of them, because we just haven't heard from them all.

I'm just not going to get worked up over something that seems to pan out in the end. It's like the forums finds something new each day to be outraged over.

Reactions: Deano

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Some blends by a few of the smaller companies that just folded under the stress of worry ::;cough cough::: Hearth and Home. But, we've also seen many new blends hit the market since and many of the blends we "thought" were going away, didn't. It just didn't pan out like the forum said it would.

And, in most of the areas that set up flavor bans, you can still buy flavored pipe tobaccos. Maybe all of them, because we just haven't heard from them all.

I'm just not going to get worked up over something that seems to pan out in the end. It's like the forums finds something new each day to be outraged over.
Im too old to worry what might happen. Ive enough baccy to last my lifetime and then some. Hell im expecting some tins tomorrow for a reason l cant explain but "big tobacco" and " big oil" have have been attacked in this country for many years. Taxing them out of existance has been the formula so far now new tactics are developing.

Im too old to worry what might happen. Ive enough baccy to last my lifetime and then some. Hell im expecting some tins tomorrow for a reason l cant explain but "big tobacco" and " big oil" have have been attacked in this country for many years. Taxing them out of existance has been the formula so far now new tactics are developing.
Yehhhh, my strategy is the same. I have enough to get me into my 80's... but, I keep stocking up, just in case I live longer. Ha ha.

Reactions: Deano