Now It's Cricket Pasta/Pizza/Pancakes etc.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Apparently cricket farming in Italy is on the rise by leaps and bounds.

"Farming insects also requires just a fraction of the land used to produce meat. Given the pollution caused by the meat and dairy industry, more and more scientists believe insects could be key to tackling climate change".

A bit less hot air from these scientists might help tackle climate change too.

"Aside from the taste, cricket powder is a superfood packed with vitamins, fibre, minerals and amino acids. One plate contains higher sources of iron and magnesium, for example, than a regular sirloin steak".

When I eat a steak, sirloin or fillet, I don't care one hoot about how much iron or magnesium is in it, I eat it because I like the flavour & texture.

At £52 per kilogram for the flour I just don't see it jumping off the shelves ;).

It's already become politicised so how long before this is forced upon the people?

Regards,

Jay.
I just read the BBC article. To my surprise, this is not exactly intended to be slipped surreptitiously into the diets of the beer budget crowd:
"If you want to buy cricket-based food, it's going to cost you," says Ivan. "Cricket flour is a luxury product. It costs about €60 (£52) per kilogram. If you take cricket pasta for example, one pack can cost up to €8."
Doesn't sound like its going to be in your McDonald's burger any time soon.
They're not telling me to do something if I've already been doing it.;)
Err...what are you eating?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Most insects just don't taste good. Crickets remind me of the flavor when spitting out sunflower seed shells. Scorpions are bitter/grassy but not bad either. Ants are probably best. Worms/grubs are particularly bad. That being said, I keep this stuff on hand to enjoy with a good mezcal:

View attachment 232380

View attachment 232381
Now.. Have you tried them with Tabasco sauce? Or Frank's Red Hot? Some say they put that @#$& on everything!

Reactions: JOHN72

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Decades of zombie movies? View attachment 232447
Fair comment Zero, but some indigenous folk still live in mud huts and walk miles to get a pitcher of water, drink fresh blood from a living calf, worship the sun, place plates in their lower lips etc.

I wouldn't fancy doing any of those things myself, I like my creature comforts too much.

Regards,

Jay.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Fair comment Zero, but some indigenous folk still live in mud huts and walk miles to get a pitcher of water, drink fresh blood from a living calf, worship the sun, place plates in their lower lips etc.

I wouldn't fancy doing any of those things myself, I like my creature comforts too much.

Regards,

Jay.
I don't know what my cats are trying to tell me, but they had this layed out for me this morning. They love eating the grasshoppers. I enjoy my creature comforts as well😉KIMG2482.JPG

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I absolutely love the extreme paranoia in this thread. Holy shit fellas.

No one is going to force you to eat crickets. Absolutely no one is going to force you to eat crickets.

Let me say that again.

No one is going to force you to eat crickets.

Humans have relied on insects as food since the dawn of time. Every single one of us has insect eating ancestors. Plenty of cultures still do eat insects, not just primitive peoples, either. Normalizing insect eating (which will probably take decades) and utilizing them has healthy food (which they are) is a good thing. Cattle farming is disgusting and harmful (and I love beef) so having some alternatives is good.

If you don't want to eat the crickets, don't eat the fucking crickets.

No one is going to force you to eat crickets, or anything at all.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
I'm not one for doing tobacco reviews, I could cut and paste and speak the lingo. But the grasshopper does yield a complex smoke, it's one that you want to sip and take your time with. It is repeatable and can be an all day smoke. Average amount of relights required. Get creative with it.KIMG2483.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.