PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I missed out on Sunbear this year, and I'm a little bummed about that. But this does look like a good offering as well. I think I might be down for a couple tins if I can @JimInks review, and if he says how condimental the Orientals are.

Edit: Just found the review. Yeah this looks exciting.

Last edited:

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
From the description and reviews it sounds like some stern stuff. I'l wait to hear what others think.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Alright, my tins were delivered from SP yesterday. I also opened my new old stock Ryan Alden @lonestar pipe that was delivered yesterday as well.

I cracked a tin, took a big pinch, and let it dry for 20 minutes. I loaded up my Alden and began smoking my first bowl of Steamworks in my new, never-smoked pipe. The tobacco is very smooth and lightly creamy; much different than the C&D Carolina Red Flake I had been smoking all week, which has more edge. Steamworks has that old world tobacco incense-like quality, which I’m guessing are the orientals with nearly 20 years of age. You can also taste the sweet Virginias, as this tobacco walks the line between Virginia and oriental. This smokes like a well-aged tin that could potentially cost significantly more.

Currently smoking another bowl on my balcony in my Comoy’s 283, listening to jazz with coffee while looking at the mountains.

The tobacco never becomes harsh as you smoke it. I don’t like the childlike tin art, but ignore it, because the tobacco inside is great.

16A89523-6C7D-49CD-864E-0B39456E778E.jpeg

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
From the description and reviews it sounds like some stern stuff. I'l wait to hear what others think.
Had first bowl last night. I am surprised at how subtle and mellow the flavors are. There wasn't any one thing that really lept out and anounced itself over an other component. It is good, just different than expected.

Any one else surprised by it?

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Alright, my tins were delivered from SP yesterday. I also opened my new old stock Ryan Alden @lonestar pipe that was delivered yesterday as well.

I cracked a tin, took a big pinch, and let it dry for 20 minutes. I loaded up my Alden and began smoking my first bowl of Steamworks in my new, never-smoked pipe. The tobacco is very smooth and lightly creamy; much different than the C&D Carolina Red Flake I had been smoking all week, which has more edge. Steamworks has that old world tobacco incense-like quality, which I’m guessing are the orientals with nearly 20 years of age. You can also taste the sweet Virginias, as this tobacco walks the line between Virginia and oriental. This smokes like a well-aged tin that could potentially cost significantly more.

Currently smoking another bowl on my balcony in my Comoy’s 283, listening to jazz with coffee while looking at the mountains.

The tobacco never becomes harsh as you smoke it. I don’t like the childlike tin art, but ignore it, because the tobacco inside is great.

View attachment 242652
Cool mini review. Also, love the shape of that pipe. I have an Everyman Bulldog which doesn’t smoke super great (hot and wet) but I love the shape of it.

Reactions: americaman

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've smoked a couple bowls so far and to be perfectly honest it's easily in my top 5 C&D blends - could easily be top 3.

I think the Virginias are the main player flavor wise- lots of depth, varying levels of earthy sweetness, creamy, smooth. The perique adds a bit of strength but it doesn't strike me as being a heavy hitter. It has a character that tastes like a well aged Virginia - even reminds me of older british Virginia flakes with its dark maltiness.

I've managed to amass 8 tins thus far. Looking forward to seeing how it matures in the tin.

Reactions: briarfoxx

Chris T

Lurker
Aug 3, 2023
This is the first C&D blend I have not liked at all. I found it very different from their other oriental blends, no sweetness, though smooth and cool burning, with a taste of black-eyed peas. Disappointing after Sunbear and Midsommar. It looks like I'm in the extreme minority in my take on it.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
This is the first C&D blend I have not liked at all. I found it very different from their other oriental blends, no sweetness, though smooth and cool burning, with a taste of black-eyed peas. Disappointing after Sunbear and Midsommar. It looks like I'm in the extreme minority in my take on it.

I have to disagree.

Was pleasantly surprised that the oriental note in this was something similar to Gas Light or Old Ironsides without the Latakia.

Very strong Oriental presence without the Latakia.

Honestly, this reminds me of my favorite English blends of years past (been on a 0 Lat kick the last 2 years) but still has that leathery taste I would get from those blends.

Yes, I know Ironsides doesnt list Oriental but I feel like you get that strong tobacco flavor without the Latakia in this one.

YMMV, but very happy I loaded up on this.

Reactions: pharaohfitz

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A coworker left some in my inbox last week. A bit flat for a C&D offering with a little sweet and sour and little discernable nicotine. Glad I decided not to purchase any though a regular diet of straight oriental blends may have colored my opinion. YMMV

Reactions: Peter Turbo

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I was pleasantly surprised that any flavors in the casing weren't heavy handed at all. No non-tobacco sweetness at all.
After 4 or 5 bowls it kept reminding me of Wessex CB Dark Flake with 5 or 6 years of age.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
I was pleasantly surprised that any flavors in the casing weren't heavy handed at all. No non-tobacco sweetness at all.
After 4 or 5 bowls it kept reminding me of Wessex CB Dark Flake with 5 or 6 years of age.
Thanks for trying Steamworks! I am glad to hear it's performing well for you. There actually are no flavors added or casing used. Just vintage leaf, and steam processing.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
A coworker left some in my inbox last week. A bit flat for a C&D offering with a little sweet and sour and little discernable nicotine. Glad I decided not to purchase any though a regular diet of straight oriental blends may have colored my opinion. YMMV

Pretty much my take on it too. I keep expecting these limited editions to have more of a wow factor on my palate. Just seems very mediocre for something thats small batch, glad I only bought two tins. I’ll probably trade away the unopened one.

pharaohfitz

Lurker
May 13, 2010
Erehwon
Had first bowl last night. I am surprised at how subtle and mellow the flavors are. There wasn't any one thing that really lept out and anounced itself over an other component. It is good, just different than expected.

Any one else surprised by it?
I’ve smoked 5 bowls in 5 different pipes and think that, like other real St. James perique blends, needs time for that leaf to do its work. Very creamy more oriental forward. Like Anthology, the perique took time to fully round out the overall offering. The moisture content keeps me trying to relight and I will smoke Steamworks in a cavalier to let the moisture drain away from the tobacco and try it in a meerschaum also. This will benefit from more time in the tin (most do) but I would let it “marry” a few weeks after opening.

Reactions: fightnhampster