PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Saw this posted on IG last night. Any details on it yet?

View attachment 239087

Last night, @JimInks mentioned this about Steamworks in one of his WAYS posts:

“This broken flake blend is old belt (North Carolina and Georgia) orange, mahogany, bright, and six grades of red Virginias, vintage sun cured Orientals include year 2005 Black Sea Sokhoum, and St. James perique. It goes on sale Aug. 22.”

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It reads like something akin to making up a meal out of leftovers. Sometimes that's better than the original. Other times it's an unhappy event.

Either way, all of this small batch activity is very smart marketing. Yes, it ticks off a few people, but by and large it attracts far more with the combination of FOMO, and the pleasure of collecting something whose availability is "limited" and is therefore a bit "exclusive". People love that shit. along the way, all of this small batch activity becomes associated with the brand

It's almost as if they're copying Germain's, little batches creating a mania driven market for their products.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
It reads like something akin to making up a meal out of leftovers. Sometimes that's better than the original. Other times it's an unhappy event.

Either way, all of this small batch activity is very smart marketing. Yes, it ticks off a few people, but by and large it attracts far more with the combination of FOMO, and the pleasure of collecting something whose availability is "limited" and is therefore a bit "exclusive". People love that shit. along the way, all of this small batch activity becomes associated with the brand

It's almost as if they're copying Germain's, little batches creating a mania driven market for their products.
I am one who loves it for sure.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania

I think it’s small batch because how much 2005 leaf from this region is actually around? I’d guess its paucity makes a small batch necessary. The Balkan leaf is the appeal to me, not that it is produced in small quantities. It is supposed to have exceptional depth compared to other oriental types. We could also get into what amount constitutes a “small batch”. The pictured tin says 8,000 units are made. As a comparison, Orchard Mist was 1600 units, but they call it “limited “. I’m not really sure where the line in the sand is, but that’s never been the appeal for me anyway.

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I've got no problem with the Small Batch marketing angle. If I don't want any, I won't buy any. Thier priced basically the same as non-small batch, so if it sounds good, I may purchase a few tins. The Steamworks offering doesn't appeal to me. I will likely buy some more CRF is they release it again because I do really like that one.

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I love the small batch angle. I think it’s fun. I like feeling like I’m getting something unusual or that most folks aren’t aware of.

If I’m low on cash when it drops or it sells out before I can get mine, that’s ok.
It’s only pipe tobacco; I’ll catch the next one.

By the way, Jupiter Slices is back at KBV.