PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I am so happy that most of you guys enjoy all manner of straights, whether a pot, billiard, or Zulu
That means that it leaves all if the bents for me

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Pipes which have the bowl facing away from the stem are inherently problematic for most, myself included. I think the Fan has to be the least popular shape, but I have one which I love.

In my favourite extant pipeshop there is a Danish Horn which I have often dare myself to buy without success. It is enormous, very straight and just seems....too much. But the briar is magnificent and it looks well-drilled. Oh well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the ball shape, basically a sphere shaped, or near to it, bowl, has never taken off, but it is a worth shape and especially well-done from time to time.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
I'm very keen on the diplomat shape having acquired a lovely orlik example but don't see to many pipes in the shape. I'm always on the look out for them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
monty, I have never heard of a skater. I learn something every day. Nice little burner in that odd but endearing shape.
matches, I have a fine diplomat done by Mogen Johansen (Johs) in a black blast with a stained briar band; it's an elegant shape and I'm sort of glad it's a unique shape in pipes; it has the good attributes of a pot, prince or author in rendering full flavor from complex blends.

Aug 14, 2012
Funny, before I saw your selection I thought Dunhill Prince. Even the bent ones are easy to get a cleaner through and the extra wood does make for a cooler smoke. I have 11 of them.

n0rm

Lurker
Mar 12, 2015
This a great thread for newer pipe smokers like myself. A lesson to be learned.

Very much appreciated.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I' agree, sablebrush52. The pots I have been able to pick up were great buys and priced very cheaply do to lack of competition for them. Just wish we had a larger pipe smoking population among the estate market in my area.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I have a Dunhill prince and love that shape. I don't think they're necessarily underrated though, it seems like every manufacturer makes a prince.
My underrated pick would be zulu's. I've never had one, but I like the graceful lines and cant of the bowl.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I would have to go with the prince. They have been growing on me lately, in fact I just picked up a really nice Burak Connoisseur to add to my two Dunhills.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since this thread started, I've been thinking about this question (under-rated shape) and also looking at a few mentioned shapes. I am surprised that other than Dunhill, not too many pipe makers, artisan or factory, regularly offer pot, and I mean the basic cylindrical pot not the Iverssaon sort of scoop configuration. They certainly are around, but you have to work at finding them, and often they are quite small, or in very low-level lines, or otherwise not typical. When people mentioned the pot shape as being under-appreciated, I thought not, but now I think they're right. Dunhill is still in there with them as a standard classic shape, but not too many others. Shapes come and go in fashion, so maybe the pot is due a revival and everyone will have them in three different finishes. We'll see.
Also, the ball, the spherical shape, is somewhat rare. You find them, but not that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.