PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Love my Dublins, but every pipe maker does multiple versions, so however they're rated, they are widely available, as I think are billiards, apples, and bulldogs.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I was surprised to see the Pot considered unpopular. I'm new to pipes, and I view the Dunhill 5106 as the quintessential pipe.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's funny how the Prince had been growing on me lately as well. I don't have one but I'm eye balling a nice blast, that thin, delicate shank and stem really set off the looks.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Calabash? I mean the meer lined gourds...aren't they the 'standard' Calabash? I don't see a lot of love for these fine looking specimens, nor do I hear of any specific maker's Calabash expertise.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
maxx and others, on the pot shape, I've been scouting and see that Peterson has stuck with the shape in its 606, and it is available in a number of series. Genod has a pot or two, as do some of the other French pipe makers. I suspect the pot shape is due for a revival, which may again flood the market and cause it to recede later, but it's a good basic shape. As mentioned by maxx, Dunhill has never left the pot shape and these are available both new and widely as estate pipes. Amadeus does a nice rendition in Greek briar (it's a Greek pipe maker) for a moderate price. I think the classic is the cylindrical pot with a tapered stem, not a heavy pipe but with a sufficiently deep and extra wide bowl.

May 31, 2012
I'm gonna say the Student, you hardly ever see 'em and I don't even know if that's the proper name but that's what Sasieni calls 'em...
...it's like a petite Prince except it has the Bulldog line (what's that line called?), sorta like a Bullcap, but not quite.
This particular pipe is a Litewate and it's quite tiny, the bowl is almost thimble sized.
I love it!
7fMBRGP.jpg

q9sERBm.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard that line around the circumference of the bowl a bead line. There may be other nomenclature, but that's what I've always heard.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
misterlowercase, Kaywoodie made a pipe very much like the Sasieni Student. I think it may have been in their "Campus" line, which consisted of quite a few shapes.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
That student pipe is awesome. Reminds me of this Beo Tomato
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/sebastien_beo/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=163964
Anyway, I remember reading a similar thread a while back that ended with the same conclusion re: prince. Interestingly, if you ever read through threads about pipes shapes folks just don't care for you'll find prince, poker and oom paul at the top. I like all three and find them to be very practical. In fact, I've been looking for a smallish decent room paul for a while now.
My vote for most under rated shape goes to The Duke. It's elegant, it sits, it clenches and looks right whether you're in a tuxedo or a garden flannel. What's not to like?
http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/d/Dunhill-398-i22373x0.html
Note to self: learn how to embed a photo!

May 31, 2012
Buroak - many thanks for the heads up about the 'woodie campus, I looked 'em up and saw a couple of small bullcappish examples - it's also interesting that they call 'em Campus, leading me to believe the Student moniker might be correct after all --- maybe the Student Prince, I think I remember seeing this shape described as such somewhere...
Bigpond - I agree with you about The Duke, but I like the looks of The Don better!
Here's another Student I have,

a GBD PreHistoric Restlite...
Jt6sCio.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Rather than start new...I've got a few of the Prince shape. One recently acquired shown in link below was one of 4 pipes I got on ebay for less than $15.00 including shipping. I was amazed to get, not only a very nice stummel from Barlings that I easily made smokeable using a cannibalized stem, a couple of beater Grabows that are actually quite nice smokers...and this no name prince....check the blast on this baby, and IT smokes great too!

https://goo.gl/photos/hQ95kK6mbWW1ekaG7

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've downloaded them. Now, I'll up load them to my pipesmagazine page and then come back. Not to be believed how nice this blast is, for $3.75.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Back to the OP, I have since gotten a very simple rusticated black prince, no bands or embellishments, which is an excellent smoker, to join my Sav Oscar Lucite prince, and have a churchwarden version with somewhat colorful stem on request with an exhibitor at the pipe show next week, so the prince revival is underway, with me anyway. A good work horse pipe with a touch of class. Also, along the way some time, I bought a Sav smooth cylindrical pot, an Aurelius, that is another great English/Balkan and complex burley blend smoker. My narrower deeper bowled pipes I use for single leaf and simper burley blends -- Semois and varous C&D burley blends.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I would have to say the Prince. The OP's original pic is a gorgeous pipe. I have yet to add a Prince to my collection. Mike, that is a beauty for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.