Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Pre-PAD:
"The most underrated shape is this one from my favorite pipe!"
Post-PAD:
"The most underrated shape is the one someone else bought out from under me on eBay!"

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What an informative thread! There are shapes refered to here I'm utterly unfamiliar with and should scribble down to explore them more. But a while ago, sensing I might be getting in a rut with my fetish for billiards, I thought the Prince interesting, and eventually got this nice Peterson, a Kapps Royal:

screen-shot-2016-02-15-at-74622-pm.jpg

Problem is, the bowl the exactly the same dimensions as you'd find on a Peterson churchwarden, a little small, and no bend which I understand makes a true prince. So I got a Rossi prince with a larger chamber; a few days later the finish started to bubble off. But while I had it, it was a great smoke, and just now need to know where to get a good, economical one. I'm also exploring the Author as another neglected shape.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Less common shapes are rewarding, something to learn to appreciate and add to the stable when you have many/most of the good old traditional shapes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Diplomats are attractive, but overshadowed by authors and princes. I have a nice example of the diplomat by Johs, a slightly bent blast. I think it is sometimes hard to differentiate diplomats -- they have to be fairly precise in the tradition of the shape or their shape becomes debatable, which may be the problem. You can do a lot of different variations on a bulldog, and it still has the marks of a bulldog, but with diplomats that's more difficult.
On volcanos, the Pete bent brandy B11 is so conical, it has a volcano look, but I think it still remains a brandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.