PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mathias, some smokers have used folded fluffy pipe cleaners fit into the pipe's filter chamber to very good effect.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
If you’re not inhaling the smoke, I really don’t think you need to worry about nicotine addiction. I was a cigarette smoker, and I know exactly what that addiction feels like. I’ve been smoking a pipe for almost 10 years (starting well after I quit cigs), and I’ve never been more than 3-4 bowl per week smoker, and I often go long stretches without smoking. That nic tug has just never been there with the pipe. Nicotine consumption just isn’t relative to the filter issue. I used to really like the balsa inserts do r moisture control, but I don’t really need that now with improved technique and moisture management, but I still use them in many of my pipes because I prefer a tighter draw. YMMV, so just experiment and see what works, but I will say that I think I a new smoker will get to more enjoyable bowls quicker with a balsa or Brigham insert.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nicotine is absorbed through the membranes in the nose and mouth as well as in the throat and lungs. So, there is displacement of oxygen in your blood whether you inhale or not. "krizzose" you can really only speak to your addiction or lack thereof. At best you are providing anecdotal information.
I've never noticed any nicotine "hit", as it were, in 60 plus years of using tobacco in all of it's various forms. But, the lack of a euphoric feeling or an upset stomach as some here equate with nicotine, or any number of feelings attributed, correctly/incorrectly to nicotine, doesn't mean the nicotine isn't displacing oxygen, possibly affecting the brain and other organs.
The nicotine's effect is mostly unnoticed by smokers. But, even unacknowledged/unnoticed, it is the effect of the nicotine (more relaxed, able to concentrate better, calming and other feelings extolled by the 6+ bowls a day smoker or the 1 or 2 bowls a month dilettante) that keeps them/us coming back for more.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
"krizzose" you can really only speak to your addiction or lack thereof. At best you are providing anecdotal information.
Yes indeed, as was plainly obvious as I discussed only my own experience and not yours, which I know nothing about. Further, I never suggested nicotine isn’t absorbed by the membranes of the mouth and nose and then metabolized by the body; of course it is, a fact so obvious I didn’t think it needed to be stated. I said that I was once very much addicted to nicotine because I was an inhaling cigarette smoker, and that my pipe smoking (described in some level of detail to provide context) has never produced anything remotely similar. I shared the conclusion I’ve drawn from my own experiences. I trust the OP is of sufficient intelligence to weigh the sample size accordingly, and also to consider that perhaps smoking a pipe at a greater frequency than my modest consumption could produce different results and possibly some level of nicotine addiction.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
It may or may not be germane to how the thread has evolved, but the original poster has decided that pipe smoking is not for him. I just lost my virginity and f***ed it up...
If you’re not inhaling the smoke, I really don’t think you need to worry about nicotine addiction.

This is a little silly in my opinion. Addiction is poorly understood, but what we know would indicate that nicotine addiction will occur regardless of how it is absorbed.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Really? See below. You certainly implied as much. If you are absorbing the nicotine well ... enough said I think.
So absorption now equals addiction? I don’t know what else to say other than what I have already said. If the OP is giving my comments the same tortured construction as you, then that is that I suppose.

bryans

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
Interesting thread here. I’m a new pipe smoker (about two months) and I have been using 9mm filters in some of my pipes and none in others. I smoke about a bowl a day and haven’t noticed any “nicotine hit”. Interestingly, I just had a pre-employment urine test done for a whole host of drugs—including nicotine. Surprisingly, it was negative! BTW, I’m a physician and the nicotine screen was because my place of employment gets a far better rate for their employee medical coverage if they are non-smokers.....I don’t particularly notice a taste difference between filtered and non-filtered smoke—but I’m still such a newbie I haven’t really developed my ability to taste the smoke very well...

Status
Not open for further replies.