PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
@Piperatthegatesofdawn welcome! I'm in the uk as well and we have a pretty decent selection of tobaccos to choose from, if you are looking for a mild one maybe J.F. Germains Royal Jersey Cavendish & Virginia could be worth a look or maybe Comoys Irish Mixture which has a lovely whiskey topping.
Chris

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
If I smoke once a day or once every other day there is no sign of addiction whatsoever.
Addiction is strictly up to the individual, BUT some days I smoke 10-12 bowls a day, some days I smoke 2-3, sometimes I don't smoke my pipes for over a week or two.
Doesn't that mean I'm addicted or not addicted or nothing at all?

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Here in Europe most pipes seem to be made for 9mm filters. If you're looking for low nicotine tobacco many folks here contribute to tobacco reviews dot com which is a good resource. You can search by strength, for example extremely mild and mild.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Hi Everyone, I've been on the sidelines for about a year now, and was happy enough just reading your posts. Not that I agree with all of them, but many do. That said, I just couldn't pass up this discussion, so I started an account and I'm going to jump in here.
I'm just a good ole southern boy that has been smoking pipes for about 35 years now; started out not using filters like my grandfather. But, when he died of oral cancer, I started to think differently. This was about 20 years ago. Started out using Grabow filters. As mentioned earlier, they didn't do much but collect moisture, but they did get some bad stuff. Then I started buying balsa. Contrary to "studies" and such, I find zero difference in nicotine, but a ton with tar...and its the tar that's the bad stuff. I just replaced a Savinelli filter of mine after 3 bowls of (1) straight red (2) straight bright, and the third bowl was the Burley #2 from C&D.
Here is what that filter looks like compared to a new filter...keep in mind that I never fill the bowl, I always only load about 2/3...so overall, this is after really only about 2 full bowls. No aromatics either, these are just straight tobaccos. You can make up your own mind.
Filters

generalzod

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia
In all seriousness, almost all vape flavors are available in zero nicotine and would contain no tar. If you did a low wattage device, you could simply do mouth hits, without inhaling. Just a thought.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Welcome downsouth! Here is the image:

IMG-0315.jpg

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Sorry all...I couldn't get my link to my picture to work, so I'm just reposting here...I'm new and just figuring stuff out, so don't yell at me...
Hi Everyone, I've been on the sidelines for about a year now, and was happy enough just reading your posts. Not that I agree with all of them, but many do. That said, I just couldn't pass up this discussion, so I started an account and I'm going to jump in here.
I'm just a good ole southern boy that has been smoking pipes for about 35 years now; started out not using filters like my grandfather. But, when he died of oral cancer, I started to think differently. This was about 20 years ago. Started out using Grabow filters. As mentioned earlier, they didn't do much but collect moisture, but they did get some bad stuff. Then I started buying balsa. Contrary to "studies" and such, I find zero difference in nicotine, but a ton with tar...and its the tar that's the bad stuff. I just replaced a Savinelli filter of mine after 3 bowls of (1) straight red (2) straight bright, and the third bowl was the Burley #2 from C&D.
Here is what that filter looks like compared to a new filter...keep in mind that I never fill the bowl, I always only load about 2/3...so overall, this is after really only about 2 full bowls. No aromatics either, these are just straight tobaccos. You can make up your own mind.
Filters

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Welcome downsouth! Here is the image
Thanks Seldom! LOL, I'm on some fishing sites, and they are similar to post images and such, but this one is a little different.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
You're welcome downsouth! Something I should have expressed earlier is condolences on the loss of your grandfather.
This website is a bit different than many. To post an image you would hit the IMG button at the top of the post and then paste the web address for the desired image.
At any rate, welcome and tight lines!

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
About the nicotine addiction, of course you are all correct.

What I meant is that I can put away the pipe at any time without getting any feeling of craving

or any physical sensations. If I don't get a cup of Swedish coffee (think tar) I will have

a bad morning and a headache by three pm.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Something I should have expressed earlier is condolences on the loss of your grandfather.
Thanks seldom...but no condolences necessary, the old jackass (said lovingly of course) lived until he was 88, hope I live that long! Fought that cancer for only 6 months...amazing how quick that crap takes you out. Makes you think. He didn't smoke a pipe all his life, sort of picked it up when he retired from the military.

Jul 25, 2019
if you are looking for a mild one maybe J.F. Germains Royal Jersey Cavendish & Virginia could be worth a look or maybe Comoys Irish Mixture which has a lovely whiskey topping.
Thanks Chris, I will seek them out.
Could anyone suggest a decent beginner briar pipe with a 9mm filter option available in the UK? I've seen Falcon Coolways for around £40 and a Dr Plumb Dinky for around £30 - are either of them decent pipes?

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard from Detroit!
Good luck in getting yourself all set up with the correct gear.
In time, you'll discover the best way that you like enjoying your pipes/tobacco.
I don't inhale when I'm smoking my pipes. But, it's all an individual choice. So, enjoy!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Could anyone suggest a decent beginner briar pipe with a 9mm filter option available in the UK? I've seen Falcon Coolways for around £40 and a Dr Plumb Dinky for around £30 - are either of them decent pipes?
Not sure if you can order to the UK, but Vauen (I only have one and it's a great smoker) makes some affordable pipes most of which are 9mm filters. It's a german maker so I would think UK availability would be plausible.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/vauen/index.cfm?sortOpt=priceAsc&page=1
or maybe here?
https://www.smokingpipes.eu/pipes/new/Vauen/index.cfm?sortOpt=priceAsc&page=1
Here is an assortment of 9mm makers, sort by price low to high....
https://www.smokingpipes.eu/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?sortOpt=priceAsc&filter=3&displayNum=24&page=1
Smoking pipes "pipe locator" is a handy tool for finding what you are looking for. Just click the pipe logo up by the search box, and then use the filters on the left hand side of the screen to narrow down your search. Even if you aren't buying them through SP, it is a handy tool for researching.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I've used most of the 9mm brands and found either Vauen's Dr Perl jr, Big Ben or my personal favourite Stanwell to be the best. I've found these 3 brands to be superior to all the cheaper no name generics I've tried when I tested them side by side but YMMV.
Chris

Jun 9, 2018
England
Well 2 out of the 3 have ceramic caps at both ends which I prefer and I've found they trap more moisture than the cheaper no name brands. It could be the special shaped caps like on the Stanwells or maybe the paper absorbs more or they have a different type or more off the carbon filling I don't honestly know but I've tried at least a 1000 of the various generics and they never seemed to smoke as dry but YMMV of course.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.