I Just Lost My Virginity And F***ed It Up...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2019
So, my pipe kit and tobacco arrived. Here's my story.
I decided to fill the bowl just under halfway, as I wanted to start gently. I went for Peterson nutty cut. I Lightly tamped it down and used matches to light the tobacco, trying my best to hold it above the tobacco and allowing the draw to pull the flame down. (It was Difficult to know if I achieved that as the flame was out of view to me being so low in the bowl).
I puffed a few times and the plume of smoke confirmed that I had lift off. As expected, the charring light went out so I gently tamped it down and re-lit. It seemed to work ok but all I could taste was cigarette-like ash flavour. Nothing pleasant at all.
I was trying to use the breathe method to slow me down and keep the pipe cool. No problems in that regard, but the pipe went out several times and each relight just tasted the same. Nothing like I'd hoped.
I'm Really disappointed with myself after all the reading I've done on this site and all the useful videos I've watched. Really poor start.
What the hell have I done wrong?

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have not tried Peterson Nutty Cut but I can tell you that maybe you can start with a lighter and let the flame hover over the tobacco as you take gentle puffs to get it going. It took me a while to get my lights down with matches. I have been practicing for a slow smoke competition and only using two matches for a bowl. I can tell you that it is a little bit more challenging with the matches. Second, make sure you let the match head burn off before you start lighting or else you will get the sulphur/chemical flavor in there. Lastly, some matches (greenlight) have coatings or other chemicals that may give off a certain flavor as well.
Keep at it!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My estimate is the tobacco is too moist. Much more drying time.
Also, fill the bowl most of the way. Forget "Breath smoking" for now.
Relax. You'll get it!

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Did you dry your tobacco, or just smoke it straight from a fresh tin? If not, I’d bet your lackluster experience was from too wet tobacco. Dry it out so it’s just a step or two above crumbly-dust dry and try again. It’s really easy to overthink and overcomplicate pipe smoking, but as long as your tobacco is dry, you can pretty much just stuff and puff (slowly). Just like anything worth doing, it takes some practice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I feel like all the reading may be getting in your way. You know what to do, so now you want to play around with it. Try filling the bowl near the top. Pack the pipe and let the tobacco dry overnight. Sit back and relax, and sip the smoke, let the taste happen. Don't try too hard. Don't think too much. Some of this is knowhow, and much of it is done by feel. It may just not be your thing, but I think after a while you'll realize with a jolt that you are enjoying yourself, and that's the beginning.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Good advice so far. I've got nothing more to add.

Don't give up. You'll get it.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm Really disappointed with myself after all the reading I've done on this site and all the useful videos I've watched. Really poor start.
For me pipe smoking is something that releases stress. If it caused stress I wouldn't do it. My advice is to relax. Pipe smoking may be a bit of an acquired taste. It may be a taste that you decide isn't even worth acquiring. It doesn't really matter. In my opinion it's not about winning or losin or pride or disappointment in yourself. If you enjoy it, great. If not there isn't any point in it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Great advice so far, I had the same experience when I started out. Keep at it and you will get it and begin to taste the amazing nuances to be found in pipe tobacco. Smoking and keeping the bowl smoldering without it going out will become second nature after 10 or 20 bowls.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
For me pipe smoking is something that releases stress. If it caused stress I wouldn't do it. My advice is to relax. Pipe smoking may be a bit of an acquired taste. It may be a taste that you decide isn't even worth acquiring. It doesn't really matter. In my opinion it's not about winning or losin or pride or disappointment in yourself. If you enjoy it, great. If not there isn't any point in it.
Great advice. Relax and try again. Don't worry about it.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
You've done nothing wrong. Bet you didn't like your first sip of whiskey, either. It will click. You will get it. Do not worry, every one of us trod the path you're on!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
You get one more try. If you fail, you're banished.
:lol:
Well, maybe not. I also suspect moisture to be the culprit. Also, if you are breaking in a new pipe, you could expect some substandard smokes during the break in process.
As mentioned, take it easy, keep trying and soon things will develop.
jay-roger.jpg

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I think drying the tobacco is one essential key. Also try packing the tobacco extremely light. Put it in the bowl without / nearly without affecting the draw - then try to smoke and you can adjust the density of the tobacco by gentle tamping to the level, you get the best taste.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You’re trying too hard. Just get the pipe and smoke the damn thing. Trying to use the breathe technique on your very first try is just silly. It can be an acquired taste but you’ve got to give it a chance before you make up your mind for sure. You can read about smoking a pipe all you like, you can watch hundreds of YouTube videos on the subject but nothing will teach ya how to smoke a pipe, you have to experience the process itself and a lot of that will be trial and error, there is just no avoiding that part of it. You don’t become a seasoned pipe smoker overnight... it takes at least two nights. :puffy:

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Sounds like you’re doing it about right, if you keep getting nasty ash taste maybe that tobacco just isn’t one that suits your palette. But I’ll agree that drying more rather than less typically helps with many blends, especially when you’re first starting out. Just relax and don’t worry about relights or anything! If the bowl gets really hot you need to slow down, otherwise just gently puff and lightly tamp from time to time. If it goes out and needs a relight, no worries.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
To me it doesn't sound like you messed anything up really. Disappointment is part of the game. I've been smoking a pipe for almost 30 years and it's generally a happy pastime for me, but I still don't get perfect results from each bowl, especially when it's a new blend I've never tried before. For example, I'm smoking Potlatch for the first time tonight and so far the experience has been mediocre at best and a little annoying. There are a bunch of variables and some trial and error involved with getting to know a new blend and a new experience. Sometimes its instant gratification but often not. I'll keep plugging away at this blend in different pipes and give it some time. Maybe I'll get where I'm trying to get and end up loving it, but who knows? It may be a flop for me. It's part of the process.
I agree with with hawky454. Put aside all the smoking theory you've read and just enjoy your pipe in whatever way feels natural to you right now. You have a whole lifetime to finesse the details.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
It just takes practice. When a lot of us began smoking pipes, there were no youtube videos or internet sites to read up on. We just started smoking and figured it out in short order.
You will do the same. Load up another bowl and start practicing. You'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.