PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Could be a good opportunity to try the at home, in the tin, "oven stoving" method.
Why not add a seventh stoving layer to the blend, and simultaneously destroy any potential spores within?

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
it just sucks knowing the mold spores could be there and under the right conditions the mold will develop.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I have a jar of Haunted Bookshop that looks as though it may be developing mold. I hope and pray it is so I can have the perfect excuse to dump it. I'll give it a good buriel, in to the Thames. In a sealed jar of course, wouldn't want to fall foul of environmental laws.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I don't mess with anything that looks remotely moldy.

Hell, people jump in farm ponds and get their brains eaten by the stuff.

Not kidding.

100% fatal, too. No treatment for it.

It's called amoeba mold:

^^^^^

Looks like my weird sense of humor might cause actual confusion.

Just trying to have a bit o' fun with "so small you can't see 'em without a microscope" critters.

Amoebas and mold spores are vastly different things. Smoking moldy tobacco will not potentially fill your skull with micro-sized brain zombies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
In my experience lack of moldy smell doesn’t automatically mean not mold. I had some tins several years ago that were furry beyond description when I opened them but no smell.

Reactions: ilpipatorebarbanera

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Reactions: ThermionicScott

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Hi, I just saw your message on IG as well. I’m not sure this is mold, after seeing your second photos. Mold inhibitors commonly used in tobacco, wine, cheese, cured meats, and other aged, fermented, or mold prone profucts are white or very light gray powders. These are mixed with a carrying agent of some kind and when thoroughly mixed, some completely dissolve, and some partially dissolve, requiring agitation to ensure an even distribution. These that don’t dissolve can tend to pool a bit in the veins of tobacco, and on darker leaf, Latakia, Perique, steamed / stoved leaf, etc., this pooling is sometimes visible. Unless the photo is still not quite focused, I don’t see the cottony or threads tendrils of mold but rather what appears like a crusting or staining of mineral deposit. If that’s what you’re seeing, then sorry that this piece is a little unsightly but this isn’t mold. If I’m missing something and there is a cottony structure to this, then it is mold. Again, judging from the pictures, I see a powdering effect on the smaller piece that is in the foreground of your second photo. Please let me know if my mold inhibitor theory sounds correct. If not, rest assured we will stand by this and get this right for you.
Thanks for taking the time to respond Jeremy. I love your tobaccos!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Maybe a new process other than pasteurization will develop from this. Since pasteurization won't kill the spore. Pre-smoked tobacco by lab rats?