PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ilpipatorebarbanera

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2023
Hi all, I found mold in Cornell @ Diehl Steamworks :( I wrote to Smokingpipes…. I’m waiting an answer

Attachments

• IMG_5565.jpeg
    IMG_5565.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5566.jpeg
    IMG_5566.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 86
  • camphoto_1903590565.jpeg
    camphoto_1903590565.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 85
  • Wow
Reactions: rossmycroftholmes

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
That gives me slight hope - mine are mostly in the 5k and 7k range.

Sorry to see it regardless. Hopefully there aren't more reports of it.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Hi all, I found mold in Cornell @ Diehl Steamworks :( I wrote to Smokingpipes…. I’m waiting an answer
Hi, I just saw your message on IG as well. I’m not sure this is mold, after seeing your second photos. Mold inhibitors commonly used in tobacco, wine, cheese, cured meats, and other aged, fermented, or mold prone profucts are white or very light gray powders. These are mixed with a carrying agent of some kind and when thoroughly mixed, some completely dissolve, and some partially dissolve, requiring agitation to ensure an even distribution. These that don’t dissolve can tend to pool a bit in the veins of tobacco, and on darker leaf, Latakia, Perique, steamed / stoved leaf, etc., this pooling is sometimes visible. Unless the photo is still not quite focused, I don’t see the cottony or threads tendrils of mold but rather what appears like a crusting or staining of mineral deposit. If that’s what you’re seeing, then sorry that this piece is a little unsightly but this isn’t mold. If I’m missing something and there is a cottony structure to this, then it is mold. Again, judging from the pictures, I see a powdering effect on the smaller piece that is in the foreground of your second photo. Please let me know if my mold inhibitor theory sounds correct. If not, rest assured we will stand by this and get this right for you.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Hi, I just saw your message on IG as well. I’m not sure this is mold, after seeing your second photos. Mold inhibitors commonly used in tobacco, wine, cheese, cured meats, and other aged, fermented, or mold prone profucts are white or very light gray powders. These are mixed with a carrying agent of some kind and when thoroughly mixed, some completely dissolve, and some partially dissolve, requiring agitation to ensure an even distribution. These that don’t dissolve can tend to pool a bit in the veins of tobacco, and on darker leaf, Latakia, Perique, steamed / stoved leaf, etc., this pooling is sometimes visible. Unless the photo is still not quite focused, I don’t see the cottony or threads tendrils of mold but rather what appears like a crusting or staining of mineral deposit. If that’s what you’re seeing, then sorry that this piece is a little unsightly but this isn’t mold. If I’m missing something and there is a cottony structure to this, then it is mold. Again, judging from the pictures, I see a powdering effect on the smaller piece that is in the foreground of your second photo. Please let me know if my mold inhibitor theory sounds correct. If not, rest assured we will stand by this and get this right for you.
Jeremy, I’ve been suggesting for years now this very same thing, that the crystaline coating on some pipe tobacco is an antifungal like Calcium Proprionate.
Apparently, that explaination is not mysterious enough or sufficiently offensive for many pipe smokers!

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Jeremy, I’ve been suggesting for years now this very same thing, that the crystaline coating on some pipe tobacco is an antifungal like Calcium Proprionate.
Apparently, that explaination is not mysterious enough or sufficiently offensive for many pipe smokers!
Casing ingredients such as sugar, honey, glycerine, licorice, or other dissolved solids can also explain some of those instances. The leaf dries down a bit and the formerly dissolved materials reinstate in solid form, but in this instance, aside from anti-fungal treatments, this blend has no such casing or added sugars or flavorings. .

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
While the above photos lose resolution upon zooming in, it's the way it covers the tobacco moreso than the substance itself that gives it a "mold like" appearance to me.
We all know mold on tobacco has that webby, cotton-like texture - and these photos don't necessarily show that.

Agents that Jeremy has described could adhere to sections of tobacco in the same manner.

The "crystalline" appearance common on Gawith flakes tends to present itself with a more "flake by flake" on the surface appearance.

So, hopefully it's not mold.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Just from the picture, it looks like mold. So how do we differentiate mold from anti-fungal agents? Mold that I have seen on old pizza and breads seem very similar to the picture. Some do have cotton like stuff, but not always. It used to be if there's a doubt, dump it. But now there's a possibility of anti-fungal agent, what to do?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Well.. If there are antifungal agents in the blend, why would there be mold? Mold is a part of fungi kingdom. I'm getting confused. Some blends have antifungal agents. That means there can't be mold. But they do look like mold. So, we smoke it and hope for the best? LOL