PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Anyone hear smoking LJ Peretti tobaccos and have any suggestions?
I ordered some Cuban Mixture and their No. 95. Any opinions on what to expect?

M

Merton

Historically great English Blends (see above posts), famous for their Burley blends and they have several terrific Cavendish blends (Boston's Best Cavendish is a very enjoyable smoke). The late Robert Peretti, who passed just recently at 96, was truly one of the great American tobacco blenders. He was a somewhat taciturn man whom I remember was more friendly once he recognized the customer. As I had hair down to my shoulders when I started smoking a pipe he didn't quite know what to make of me. After a while, however, we had several enjoyable discussions about his blends, pipe smoking and pipemaking (he also made some pipes himself).

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
British is an English with a little Perique. So far it’s the only Latakia blend that I get a hankering to smoke. Though I have only smoked about 10 of them. Highly recommended.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
I've got four blends jarred. Cuban Mixture, Boston's Best Cavendish, Blend 1072, and Blend 102. I like them all. Very old-fashioned type blends, with mild casings. I particularly like Blend 102.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Tashkent will take you to a small settlement on the Arabian sea, with the souks full of spices and incense. Simple but fantastic smoke. Royal splits the line between a Balkan and English. Cuban Mixture is like carnival in the caribbean... Too many colors to see all at once but all working together to make the dance worthwhile.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Tashkent will take you to a small settlement on the Arabian sea, with the souks full of spices and incense. Simple but fantastic smoke. Royal splits the line between a Balkan and English. Cuban Mixture is like carnival in the caribbean... Too many colors to see all at once but all working together to make the dance worthwhile.
That is a very colorful reply. I am intrigued....

Reactions: aquadoc

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
As I believe I've stated before, if Peretti was the only tobacco source, the world wouldn't be much worse off.
Since I'm a va / vaper sort of smoker, my favorites are #8 Slices, Boston Slices, and Park Square. Cuban mixture is all natural but sort of aromatic at the same time -- a really nice change-up smoke.
I'm not generally drawn to latakia / oriental blends, but really I got a sample of their English 110, which I'm going to order more of..... a terrific lighter English blend.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Peretti's catalogue of blends is a tour of the history of American pipe tobacco styles over the last century. Some tastes and approaches you will not find anywhere else.

Many I enjoy, but I prize above all the enchanting Tashkent which was a favourite of the late and great Charlie Normand of Peretti's.

M

Merton

All of Sandollars choices are great. Here are some of their other blends folks ought to try: Crown, (a slightly aromatic English blend), boston's best cavendish (a really wonderful blend with a light honey casing. Tobacco forward and the honey on the edges), 432 (similar but better than 1q) and several others. I am not a burley smoker but Peretti's has long been recognized as blending great Burley. Yes, the folks at Peretti can be crusty and taciturn. They deal with lots of tourists. Once they know, however, that you are actually interested in pipe smoking they come around nicely. Those of us who live Boston are lucky to have Peretti's nearby. Boston is also a great place to visit...bring money

Status
Not open for further replies.