PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Received and smoked the Tashkent and Royal. Enjoyed both very much. I am starting to very much like these Peretti blends.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
their Burley has some additive that comes across as floral and soapy to me, and it is present in every single one of their Burleys. I'm a Burley guy and I've smoked just about every Burley there is. If it wasn't for the floral note I'd like their Burley. Also, it must be like having the gene where cilantro tastes like soap, because most smokers don't seem to notice what I find so off-putting.

My recommendation for Burley would be Uhle or Watch City over Peretti. YMMV.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
their Burley has some additive that comes across as floral and soapy to me, and it is present in every single one of their Burleys. I'm a Burley guy and I've smoked just about every Burley there is. If it wasn't for the floral note I'd like their Burley. Also, it must be like having the gene where cilantro tastes like soap, because most smokers don't seem to notice what I find so off-putting.

Yes, I noticed this soap-like smell when I received the box, but I do not detect it in the English blends I purchased. I did not order any burley blends this time as I do not like the after taste the burleys leave on my tongue. I have noticed that all of the Peretti blends I tried have been very mellow and balanced. Easy to smoke, but still trying to figure out the after taste. Maybe it is my technique, but I am being careful to sip and draw very easy when I smoke. Seem to get better flavor that way.

Reactions: cortezattic

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I had 1/2 a bowl of D9575 last night in my northern briars rox cut 60th anniversary pipe - 1/2 a bowl only and it took an hour and 15 mins to smoke. Peretti blends are SLOW burners!!!! The slightly higher cost is off set by the burn time

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017

I just ordered in their original mix, it smells like lakeland! Not that I’m complaining as I happen to like them, but wasn’t expecting it

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Their Thanksgiving Day has a hint of Lakeland too. Just a hint, mind you. a bit soapy with musty undertones.

I like it though.
I received some with my last order and have yet to try it. I have heard that Lakeland (gotta look this up) can ghost a pipe, so maybe I will dedicate one of my newer pipes to this blend.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA

Yep, I recognize the flavor you're talking about it, but I don't find it off-putting.

Smoking the Cambridge Flake again tonight. Of the five or six blends of theirs I've tried, this is my favorite. Rich, mellow and smooth all at the same time, to my palate at least.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Finally got to enjoy some of my Perettis. My favorite so far are:
Thanksgiving Day (anyone else taste some licorice near the bottom of the bowl?) and Ebony Cavendish.

Reactions: kylef

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Massachusetts is about to pass a ban on all flavored tobacco, and I believe it includes pipe tobacco.

I'm not sure how/if this will affect Peretti's and Watch City. Anyone been in contact with them about this?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Does "flavored" apply strictly to aromatics or are non-aros with casing/topping also considered flavored?

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Does "flavored" apply strictly to aromatics or are non-aros with casing/topping also considered flavored?

That's what I'm wondering about myself--I did a brief search but couldn't find details. I do know the Massachusetts Senate just passed it, and it needs the Governor's signature--which I think he's expected to sign.

Sorry, don't mean to derail this thread--I know there's a Tobacco Legislation sub-forum.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I just placed an order based on this thread. I've never tried any of the Peretti blends. Have tried most all of the Watch City and Country Squire as well as Smoker's Haven.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Losing Smoker's Haven would be a minor shame. Losing Watch City and Peretti however is a whole other story. Now we're talking a pipe smoking tragedy approaching that of Dunhill and McClelland going away.

Losing Smoker's Haven would be a minor shame. Losing Watch City and Peretti however is a whole other story. Now we're talking a pipe smoking tragedy approaching that of Dunhill and McClelland going away.

Agree, but I would also include Smoker's Haven. I guess as long as Germain keeps producing their Balkan and English blends, I could stand to lose them. I'd rather not find out.... puffy

Reactions: spartacus and logs
Status
Not open for further replies.