PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Garcia

Lurker
Oct 21, 2023
Los Angeles
it helps to know when you're doing a service. It's about providing something not looking cool. I guess the original pipe club person didn't value what he was doing as much as what he thought he could do to look cool.
100%

I see this as a place for us to grow and enjoy our times together. I recently started pipe smoking the beginning of this year, and I want to continue this. I do not know a lot and I won’t pretend to do so.

There’s a lot for me to know about this but I am very happy I found a community and want to be able to grow :)

Reactions: anotherbob

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Good luck! It’s very difficult to find a common day, time and location that will work and pipe smokers are known to be frugal and finding a location that will benefit from their seat time might be difficult.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Garcia

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
100%

I see this as a place for us to grow and enjoy our times together. I recently started pipe smoking the beginning of this year, and I want to continue this. I do not know a lot and I won’t pretend to do so.

There’s a lot for me to know about this but I am very happy I found a community and want to be able to grow :)
pipes are a special kind of complicated. No part of it's complicated really. But there are enough moving parts that it can take a while to get them all up and running properly. First lesson on pipes.... There isn't a correct way to do it, however there are lots of ways that are going to make it more enjoyable or less of a fight to finish a smoke. Example if you draw the smoke more gently your tongue is less likely to get burnt and you'll get a more nuanced flavor (how much so depends on the blend, some need more care then others). The way to know if you're doing it "correctly" is to look at how much you're enjoying it.

Penguin

Lurker
Nov 28, 2023
Los Angeles
We can meetup at Tobacco Trader on Saturday December 16th (from Noon to 5 p.m.) for their Trunk Show with Laudisi Event.

Great chance to meet other locals to swap contacts and start a monthly meetup somewhere. I've also been looking for a pipe smoker club in LA...but seems they keep dying out.

Would be lovely to share and sample different blends with ya'll.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127_231417.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127_231417.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 12

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
For anyone attending, I can bring some samplers of things if anyone wants to try:

Mac Baren Royal Twist

Carolina Red Flake w/ Perique

Molto dulce

Exotic passion

Dan's blue note

Dan's devil's holiday

Mac Baren Vanilla

C&D Autumn Evening

Have them in jars, happy to fill some mylar bags if anyone wants to sample.
I'm interested in trying the Royal Twist. I can bring and share MB Dark Twist Roll Cake, SG 1792 Flake, or Father Dempsey if anyone is interested.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
We can meetup at Tobacco Trader on Saturday December 16th (from Noon to 5 p.m.) for their Trunk Show with Laudisi Event.

Great chance to meet other locals to swap contacts and start a monthly meetup somewhere. I've also been looking for a pipe smoker club in LA...but seems they keep dying out.

Would be lovely to share and sample different blends with ya'll.
We have a pipe club called the Point Vicente Pipe Club based out of Torrance, but we haven’t met since Spring. @Lyon0op started it along with me. We met at Texas Loosey’s Torrance since they allow smoking, but that place practically burned down recently. On top of that, Lyon, has been on the East Coast for the past few months.

Some of us were going to get together for a barbecue and pipe meet up, but the guy that had the location for that cancelled it.

The biggest obstacle has been finding a consistent location to meet up at; cigar lounges tend to have a rule that you can only smoke their cigars in their lounge. LA Pipe Club shut down because they lost their location (last I heard).

We will surely be having another meet up though. Feel free to message me or follow us on Instagram for updates @PointVicentePipeClub

Penguin

Lurker
Nov 28, 2023
Los Angeles
We have a pipe club called the Point Vicente Pipe Club based out of Torrance, but we haven’t met since Spring. @Lyon0op started it along with me. We met at Texas Loosey’s Torrance since they allow smoking, but that place practically burned down recently. On top of that, Lyon, has been on the East Coast for the past few months.

Some of us were going to get together for a barbecue and pipe meet up, but the guy that had the location for that cancelled it.

The biggest obstacle has been finding a consistent location to meet up at; cigar lounges tend to have a rule that you can only smoke their cigars in their lounge. LA Pipe Club shut down because they lost their location (last I heard).

We will surely be having another meet up though. Feel free to message me or follow us on Instagram for updates @PointVicentePipeClub

I have your contact on Facebook and your phone number. Not sure that vibe the members are looking for, but these were the places I was going to suggest.

One of the places I had in mind that has a backroom lounge/cigar bar (called and they allow tobacco pipe smoking):

State Social House/Tortuga

Phone number listed doesn't work. Can't verify via phone (will try in person asking, but they allow BYO cigar). Live music/burlesque shows
La Descarga

BYO cigars allowed. There is a $20 annual fee (each member can bring 6 guests a day)
Caña Rum Bar

BYO cigar allowed. Speakeasy whiskey bar
Bar Jackalope

BYO cigar allowed on outside patio

Hotel Shangri-La Rooftop (Onyx)​

ONYX Rooftop Bar

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
I think for a good while I was the closest to TTs — could walk (a long walk). But see my post in the WAYS thread — I’m 460 miles north now!

Hope it is successful and today y’all met up.

Reactions: Servant King

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
For anyone attending, I can bring some samplers of things if anyone wants to try:

Mac Baren Royal Twist

Carolina Red Flake w/ Perique

Molto dulce

Exotic passion

Dan's blue note

Dan's devil's holiday

Mac Baren Vanilla

C&D Autumn Evening

Have them in jars, happy to fill some mylar bags if anyone wants to sample.
I’m assuming you’re a regular customer who bought at least some of the tobacco from the host shop?

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I have your contact on Facebook and your phone number. Not sure that vibe the members are looking for, but these were the places I was going to suggest.

One of the places I had in mind that has a backroom lounge/cigar bar (called and they allow tobacco pipe smoking):

State Social House/Tortuga

Phone number listed doesn't work. Can't verify via phone (will try in person asking, but they allow BYO cigar). Live music/burlesque shows
La Descarga

BYO cigars allowed. There is a $20 annual fee (each member can bring 6 guests a day)
Caña Rum Bar

BYO cigar allowed. Speakeasy whiskey bar
Bar Jackalope

BYO cigar allowed on outside patio

Hotel Shangri-La Rooftop (Onyx)​

ONYX Rooftop Bar

The Golden Gopher in DTLA use to also allow smoking. Not sure if that is still the case. Caña is a great spot, I smoked a pipe many times there a few years ago.