Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I love to see telescopes in their elegant housecoats and fez hats, smoking their elegant pipes. I would go unnoticed in my city with a hat like this, the Moroccans mistake me for one of them. They ask me what part of Morocco I'm from, hahahahaha. And I joke, I tell them I'm from Casa Blanca. And I'm going to toast with a good bourbon to telescopes and the guys who are in this colloquium on the fez. My wife says it's an excuse to drink bourbon, she says I'm a damn stinky wet skunk.View attachment 233890
image.jpg
Moroccan John - that’s what they might call you. Come to my Laughlin vacation home, styled with Bohemian Moroccan style and artwork. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
By the way, can anyone recognize the bottle on the left on the fireplace mantle?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
View attachment 233909
Moroccan John - that’s what they might call you. Come to my Laughlin vacation home, styled with Bohemian Moroccan style and artwork. View attachment 233910View attachment 233911View attachment 233912
By the way, can anyone recognize the bottle on the left on the fireplace mantle?
I think it's a jar of tobacco, one of your fantastic homemade blends. One of those you sent me. Always grateful, my friend. Lovely photos. Nice decor, reminds me of Moroccan homes.🤩🤩👍

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Come to think of it, the fez was a part of the rather fanciful uniforms some of the all-volunteer units self-assembled by the local rich and ambitious man, which showed up at both the North and South armies saying "send us to the front." These guys called themselves the "Zouaves" and it didn't take long being in the field before they succumbed to the regular (and far more practical) uniforms of whichever army they had gotten into. (including the abominable 'forage cap')

Reactions: jpberg and bullet08

telescopes

I think it's a jar of tobacco, one of your fantastic homemade blends. One of those you sent me. Always grateful, my friend. Lovely photos. Nice decor, reminds me of Moroccan homes.🤩🤩👍
John, here are a few more:

IMG_7239.jpegIMG_7244.jpegIMG_7242.jpegIMG_7245.jpegA few Van Hopple paintings:IMG_7241.jpeg
IMG_7240.jpegA Danny Garcia above and a painting made for me in a small famous desert town in Moracco below. The bull is from Rondo.
IMG_7246.jpegIMG_7247.jpeg
And an Edward Barton. The bottle is from Star Trek and is Saurian Brandy.

Attachments

• IMG_7247.jpeg
    IMG_7247.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
John, here are a few more:

View attachment 233915View attachment 233916View attachment 233917View attachment 233918A few Van Hopple paintings:View attachment 233919
View attachment 233920A Danny Garcia above and a painting made for me in a small famous desert town in Moracco below. The bull is from Rondo.
View attachment 233921View attachment 233923
And an Edward Barton. The bottle is from Star Trek and is Saurian Brandy.
Beautiful decor, friend Telescopes. Those paintings are very beautiful. I like that you have memories of Spain. Many Americans also do the Camino de Santiago. Did you do the camino too? Thanks for sharing.

telescopes

Beautiful decor, friend Telescopes. Those paintings are very beautiful. I like that you have memories of Spain. Many Americans also do the Camino de Santiago. Did you do the camino too? Thanks for sharing.
No, but I have a friend who just completed the walk two weeks ago. Fascinating.

telescopes

The paintings are from American mid century artists who painted in California. I chose them because they add to the theme. Van Hoople was fascinated with a blend of brutalist cubism. The California artists of that period fit in nicely with the who Spanish/Moroccan bohemian theme. One needs only recall that California was a part of Spain much longer than it has been a part of the USA.

Reactions: JOHN72 and bullet08

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The man makes the Fez, not the other way around. If you can't pull it off, that says more about the man than the Fez.

Sales people Always say to me, "Man, you make that vet look good."

Never, the other way around.

Confidence - it isn't only for breakfast.
I think it's called the guppy effect. Which is how a guppy becomes more attractive the closer it is to a less attractive guppy. It seems also that guppys are aware of this and are natures best wingmen. What I am saying is those car sales men are jerks and don't deserve your money.
Also confidence is over rated I could brag about all the things humility gave me but it might ruin a good thing.

Reactions: bullet08

telescopes

I think it's called the guppy effect. Which is how a guppy becomes more attractive the closer it is to a less attractive guppy. It seems also that guppys are aware of this and are natures best wingmen. What I am saying is those car sales men are jerks and don't deserve your money.
Also confidence is over rated I could brag about all the things humility gave me but it might ruin a good thing.
No, no, no. Most salesmen say you look good in that car. when they dee me, it’s always you make that car look good. I have the opposite effect. My reply is always, that’s a shame, I need a car that will make me look even better. Then I walk out.

telescopes

It’s the same with clothing, hotels, restaurants, and women. If I am next to something or someone, inevitably someone say, “Man, you make this place, car, suit, hat, look fabulous. I wish I had the nerve to go to, drive, wear, or talk too….”

I learned a long time ago in my travels that no matter where I am in the world, I am right where I belong. It a sense of internal confidence.

Reactions: bullet08 and JOHN72