Jim's Sutliff Crumble Cake No.6 Phantom Privateer Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I sometimes get Saint Espresso and Scarecrow and I loaded up on Christmas Cheer every year back in the day. The ghostly pirate theme did have a hand in it, just look at my avatar and banner but it dropping when a sale was on was icing on the cake. I happened to have the perfect pipe for it as well.

View attachment 232020

View attachment 232021
Ha! Holy cow! That IS the perfect pipe!

And I passed when the sale was on, but just now grabbed a tin from WCC. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Probably several 10 tin orders.
I was tempted to get a couple tins, but got kinda pissed when I saw it at SPcom as “limited to 10 tins per customer per day.” Pretty much guarantees the hoarders will snatch up inventory.

I’m already weary of feeling like a guy with a small stack watching the blinds go up in a hold ‘em tournament….

Too bad, sounds like a tasty blend.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Or daily smokers. At 6 smokes per tin for me, 10 tins would last 12 days were it the only blend I was smoking.
Yeah, I’m probably better off not knowing what I’m missing. Trying not to fall in love with things that won’t be available (never was a fan of strip clubs for the same reasoning😆).

I’ll be over here having a bowl of Sixpence, a fresh plate of sour grapes with ice water and bergs…

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I like it a lot. The perique really stands out to me, with both spice and dark fruit. The rum is a nice touch and complements everything instead covering it up. It’s got a deep dark flavor, but it’s very smooth, almost pillowy soft. Presumably that’s the stoved burley. I also catch a little chocolate note in the finish.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimInks

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
This goes on sale July 4th.

The very tangy red Virginias provides a wealth of dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, sugar, mild tart citrus, grass, floralness, vegetation, light vinegar and sour lemon. They take a small lead in the proceedings. The Saint James perique offers plenty of earth, wood, spice, stewed plums, raisins, figs, and mild floralness as a very competitive supporting player. Right behind the perique is the fairly sweet stoved burley whose aspects are earth, wood, plenty of nuts, some bread, and very light cocoa and licorice. The fruity sweet rum mildly tones down the tobaccos though it weakens a little by the last third of the bowl. The strength is a couple of steps past the medium threshold. The taste is a slot past that mark. The nic-hit is almost as potent as the overall strength level. No chance of bite or harshness. The rough edges are very light. The crumble cakes are mildly moist and require no dry time. The intrinsic properties of crumble cakes almost always have a little inconsistency especially when they are complex like this one. It burns cool, clean and a little slow with a very tangy, fruity, sweet, spicy, nutty, mildly floral, deeply rich flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is pleasant to tolerable. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but it is certainly repeatable. Four stars.
Jim, how would you describe the difference between this stoved burley and regular unsweetened black cavendish? I don’t think I’ve ever heard other mentions of “stoved burley.” Thanks!

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim, how would you describe the difference between this stoved burley and regular unsweetened black cavendish? I don’t think I’ve ever heard other mentions of “stoved burley.” Thanks!
Stoving generally tones down the strength of a varietal with the exception of making it sweeter. The sweetness generally has a stewed effect that amplies whatever fruit notes are in a tobacco. You'll notice that particular aspect the most when Virginias are stoved.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I can't even find it listed on the site; sold out or otherwise...
No idea why, when I googled it I was able to find a link to smokingpipes to see that it's sold out.

Last edited: