Jim's Sutliff Crumble Cake No.6 Phantom Privateer Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale July 4th.

The very tangy red Virginias provides a wealth of dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, sugar, mild tart citrus, grass, floralness, vegetation, light vinegar and sour lemon. They take a small lead in the proceedings. The Saint James perique offers plenty of earth, wood, spice, stewed plums, raisins, figs, and mild floralness as a very competitive supporting player. Right behind the perique is the fairly sweet stoved burley whose aspects are earth, wood, plenty of nuts, some bread, and very light cocoa and licorice. The fruity sweet rum mildly tones down the tobaccos though it weakens a little by the last third of the bowl. The strength is a couple of steps past the medium threshold. The taste is a slot past that mark. The nic-hit is almost as potent as the overall strength level. No chance of bite or harshness. The rough edges are very light. The crumble cakes are mildly moist and require no dry time. The intrinsic properties of crumble cakes almost always have a little inconsistency especially when they are complex like this one. It burns cool, clean and a little slow with a very tangy, fruity, sweet, spicy, nutty, mildly floral, deeply rich flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is pleasant to tolerable. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but it is certainly repeatable. Four stars.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Many burleys have an anise casing to make them less harsh and you'd never know they were there.
Could be why i don't really enjoy burleys, but for fun i'll try a couple blends with an open mind and see if what i pick up if anything. When i read McConnell Red Virginia had a bit of cocoa all of a sudden it's all i can taste, it literally tastes like chocolate, before i read that i just got a note that seemed a bit off to me but it was still an enjoyable smoke. *shrug*

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Many burleys have an anise casing to make them less harsh and you'd never know they were there.
That is very true. I only notice things like that because I look for everything I can find, and report it. However, I often feel that listing the overall flavor experience near the end of the review is the important part of what the average smoker may likely notice mostly.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim, is this blend in any way similar to windjammer?
Even though they have similar components, they are different. The burley in Windjammer is not stoved, the rum is different, it has less perique, and a cream essence that this crumble cake doesn't have. Windjammer is more aromatic. The ratios are not the same either nor are the tobaccos similarly sourced.

Last edited: