PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just wonder what these tribe's opinions would be on rinsing pipes with water. :puffy:

Uhhhhh, I’m pretty sure those guys are in tune with their spiritual side and it doesn’t take a genius to know that the gods frown upon that type of cleansing! Duh!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I've got some Dark Birdseye in a bail jar that is going on 18 years now with no ill effects. But, that seal is everything and they do wear out with repeated use.
One way to tell is to put a little water in one and seal it. Shake it and if any water comes out, you know it will not be useful for long term. For tobacco that you smoke, bail jars will work unless you have a bad seal. Otherwise, Ball jars are the way to go.
I used to have a couple dozen bail jars but moved everything over to Ball jars years ago. They are just easier to use and more reliable in terms of the seal. Plus you can stack them if you need too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All of my tins stay as they are until I decide to smoke them. I would never take tobacco from a sealed tin and put it in a jar. I have enough jars from my bulk blends and really dislike having to use those. Jars take up way too much space.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Harris, I have a shitload of tins too that I'm not fucking with. The reason I posted this is for all the new people that have been incessantly asking the same question about "aging and storing tobacco"

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
ash, I hear you and get what where you are coming from but jars are fine for bulks but for new tins, no freaking way. Keep the tins at a consistent temp and humidity and they should be fine. Plus whenever you decide your tastes change or want to sell some tins, jars won't get a fraction of the resale value that a tin has.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I would never take tobacco from a sealed tin and put it in a jar. I have enough jars from my bulk blends and really dislike having to use those. Jars take up way too much space.

+1

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
The only issue I've seen is folks that had problems with some tinned blends. I'm not saying they might have stored better by being jarred from the tin, but I would think that if some jarred up blend did start to go bad, then at least you'd be able to see it. Just what I've seen from others.
I agree that I wouldn't really want to open a sealed tin to jar it, but what I'd hate more is to open a 15 year old tin of something and it went bad due to the manufacturing somehow. We've seen this with a few blends. Either way, it's up to you how you want to keep it, but if I jar something and my tastes change, I'd rather get something for it than taking a chance that the blend was perfect all that time. Just me.

Carolina, what about the jars that develop leaks from faulty seals from lids that might have a small piece of tobacco trapped between the lip and seal? You can't exactly "see" the tobacco drying out. IMO, there is a chance of either choice failing. I had rather keep my tins in tact. Jars are ok, and I have bunches and bunches, but there is something about popping a tin open that surpasses any joy that popping a clunky glass jar will give me.

I know, I know, Greg Please is telling people to put tins in jars... Or, at least that is what I get from posts lately about jarring tins. But, if one tin corrupts on me, it is NOT the end of the world. I have already thrown away a pound of Haddos Delight that I had jarred up, and a couple of pound of jarred moldy Esoterica Black Pool. It's not the end of the world. It's a risk I am willing to take. YMMV... however, I feel sorry for someone who's world would end at the loss of a few tins. It's probably not worth it to start a cellar, if one was in that position.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Oh I agree Cosmic. Either way there's something that could always happen to your jars OR your tins. In the end it's just up to you.
Personally I'm only buying tins of stuff I can't get in bulk, for now. Odds are, nothing will happen to most if not all of them as long as they're kept in a temperature controlled environment. Same for jars, I'd assume. They do take up more room, but much more practical for me at the moment to buy jars, buy bulk blends I like and jar away, stacking them neatly in the closet until I have a better place for them.
It's just more economical for a guy just starting a cellar to buy in bulk and jar up even if the blend is available in a tin. That packaging might be worth it, but I can buy more tobacco the other way around. Once I have a nice start to it, then I can see about buying more tins.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Ok so I have a legitimate question, apologies if someone covered it (I didn’t want to slog through the chatter line by line)... I have all of my blends in mason jars straight from the tin. If I open them once a week or so for literally 10 seconds (I like to smell them all before I choose a smoke sometimes...), will that affect the aging process? Not trolling here, serious inquiry.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
If I open them once a week or so for literally 10 seconds (I like to smell them all before I choose a smoke sometimes...)
I am exactly the same way. I figured out my own method to prevent disrupting any aging that might occur. You just have to keep your primary want-to-age jars separate and don't open them. If you actually intend on aging some, I would buy your bulk or tins and jar as you like, but don't disturb those. I keep those jars stashed away.
For my usage, I'll stuff some larger jars I can pull from to refill my 4 oz jars I keep and load my pipe from. This method works for me. I don't touch any jars that I want to age the tobacco in.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Aging doesn't change a blend enough for me to invest much interest. Every jar and tin in my closet is fair game, and if any significant aging occurs, it's just because I haven't gotten around to smoking it yet.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
I cellar to have the blends I enjoy on-hand when they disappear for good. I could care less about "aging" anything in my cellar whatsoever.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
And, my heart goes out to you guys who live in places that suck. :puffy:

:rofl: Seriously man, this place just wouldn’t be the same without you!

All of my tins stay as they are until I decide to smoke them. I would never take tobacco from a sealed tin and put it in a jar. I have enough jars from my bulk blends and really dislike having to use those. Jars take up way too much space

Amen, brother. And not to mention you are totally disrupting the aging that’s already taken place in the tin before you bought it. Keep your tinned tobacco in your tins, everything’s else in jars... that’s my motto.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I cellar to have the blends I enjoy on-hand when they disappear for good. I could care less about "aging" anything in my cellar whatsoever

When I first joined up on this forum I was very much in agreement to your above statement and I was very vocal about it too, but I have since witnessed several blends that do in fact get much better with age. When Full Virginia Flake turns black, it’s absolutely amazing, and with St. James Flake, I won’t smoke it unless it has two years of age on it now, the same goes for a lot of other blends like Dunhill Flake and other straight VA’s. However, I do prefer a lot of Tobaccos straight out of the tin but aging them is just gonna happen because I buy now to smoke later. Stonehaven is one I don’t really even notice a difference, I can smoke some from 2012 and some from 2019 and it tastes pretty much the same to me. Other blends tend to go downhill with over 5 years in my opinion, especially certain VaPers. For me, the Perique fades too much and the blend gets too lite for my palate. I’ve also had some blends with 10 years of age bite the hell out of me where their fresh counterparts don’t nip in the slightest. Overall it’s a slight gamble to cellar but one I think well worth playing.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I heard a rumor that they are going to stop making Ball and Kerr jars as of 2020, something to do with the FDA.

Better stock up while you can...JAD anyone ?
There is nothing on the FDA website about Ball jars, so I'd say that's a false rumor.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ohhhh.... Tobacco storage...I just started putting all my pipes in jars.... Guess it pays to read the whole post...

Status
Not open for further replies.