Is It Taboo For New Members To Post Critically Of Local Merchant experiences?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You became way too invested emotionally in this. I think you were looking for a pipe shop home, maybe, and this wasn't it. You were made whole, as they say in law, and that's that. In your place, I'd never even consider buying a pipe there again, just to spare myself frustration. If they are otherwise pleasant, you might use the shop to buy an occasional tin or bag of bulk tobacco, since they may not muck that up. Otherwise, let go of it. They don't seem to be pipe people. A useful lesson.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yikes... I just came across this thread and read the OP's issue which was akin to when I tried to read J.R.R Tolkien's 'Silmarillion' and got totally lost withing the first 20 pages or so!
But, I trudged through it (not Silmarillion) and I'm still at a loss as to what the problem is?

You felt as though you purchased and what you considered to be a bad pipe and they offered you a refund so please explain again just what the issue is?

No, on second thought, please... DON'T!
You complained about the very same issue a month ago and yet it's still bothering you which sounds to me as though we have the beginning's of a sleight OCD problem here.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Thanks for your thoughts, especially to those who are supportive. To those who aren't, I know I asked for it.
To those who think I should have taken the refund offer, I beg to differ because they had sold me a raw deal, and not so much of a discount as I had estimated based on looks and workmanship (maybe so because it's heavier than more expensive briars). I won't argue that those who can take the refund and walk away with nothing other than a lot of wasted time and unresolved resentment are bigger men than myself, and probably better-liked, and if you can do this and not be angry then you are probably more healthy than I. But I was sure that they had played foul by selling damaged merchandise, and the degree of incompetence which the sales staff displayed was inexusable. For example, the most senior boy out of the 4 or 5 on the floor (may have been around the age of 25) knew nothing about polishing compounds such as Obsidian. It hasn't failed to cross my mind that some of the respondents may be those boys, and if so I think it takes a lot of gall to say I should go polish it myself when the so-called professionals know nothing about doing that.
One more thing, SeaCaptain - I never buy anything on Ebay, got robbed too many times. Actually bought a phone there which turned out to be stolen! Actually did browse it recently just for laughs to see what kind of shit people had up there, notably there's a boatload of stems which somebody's trying to unload, as if they would fit anybody's pipe should they break it, or think they could get a better one to fit. Therefore I haven't much sympathy for you ebay merchants either, but I have never played the jerk which you describe with any merchant when they sold me exactly what they said it was, and was completely forthcoming about any defects. Fuck you for trying to paint me up as that!
As it happened, one of the reasons that I could only deduce that the pipe stem was purposefully finished with an alternate color, as in doesn't-look-plasticky (even though I know it's rubber) is that there were several other Chopins surrounding it, all had that color effect. It wasn't the only bad pipe that they were selling there, and I wanted to do something to discourage that practice - not only would just taking the refund be letting them off way too easy, but they would also continue that practice with other unsuspecting buyers! So I kept leaning on them until they understood that I would not make it so easy for them, and when I walked away with them still having my money and me still having a pipe with a crappy stem, at least I felt like I still had something instead of nothing for my time which they had wasted, still a fine smoker, and I had learned quite a bit in the process. I had decided not to buy pipes at brick and mortar stores anymore unless it was boxed, and was considering finding someone to make a custom stem - it would cost a bit, but it would be fun to do, and really cool if I could get it made out of Lucite. So when Mikey Boy decided to phone me just to fuck with me further, I stand by actions from that point on!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Thanks for your thoughts, especially to those who are supportive. To those who aren't, I know I asked for it.
To those who think I should have taken the refund offer, I beg to differ because they had sold me a raw deal, and not so much of a discount as I had estimated based on looks and workmanship (maybe so because it's heavier than more expensive briars). I won't argue that those who can take the refund and walk away with nothing other than a lot of wasted time and unresolved resentment are bigger men than myself, and probably better-liked, and if you can do this and not be angry then you are probably more healthy than I. But I was sure that they had played foul by selling damaged merchandise, and the degree of incompetence which the sales staff displayed was inexusable. For example, the most senior boy out of the 4 or 5 on the floor (may have been around the age of 25) knew nothing about polishing compounds such as Obsidian. It hasn't failed to cross my mind that some of the respondents may be those boys, and if so I think it takes a lot of gall to say I should go polish it myself when the so-called professionals know nothing about doing that.
One more thing, SeaCaptain - I never buy anything on Ebay, got robbed too many times. Actually bought a phone there which turned out to be stolen! Actually did browse it recently just for laughs to see what kind of shit people had up there, notably there's a boatload of stems which somebody's trying to unload, as if they would fit anybody's pipe should they break it, or think they could get a better one to fit. Therefore I haven't much sympathy for you ebay merchants either, but I have never played the jerk which you describe with any merchant when they sold me exactly what they said it was, and was completely forthcoming about any defects. Fuck you for trying to paint me up as that!
As it happened, one of the reasons that I could only deduce that the pipe stem was purposefully finished with an alternate color, as in doesn't-look-plasticky (even though I know it's rubber) is that there were several other Chopins surrounding it, all had that color effect. It wasn't the only bad pipe that they were selling there, and I wanted to do something to discourage that practice - not only would just taking the refund be letting them off way too easy, but they would also continue that practice with other unsuspecting buyers! So I kept leaning on them until they understood that I would not make it so easy for them, and when I walked away with them still having my money and me still having a pipe with a crappy stem, at least I felt like I still had something instead of nothing for my time which they had wasted, still a fine smoker, and I had learned quite a bit in the process. I had decided not to buy pipes at brick and mortar stores anymore unless it was boxed, and was considering finding someone to make a custom stem - it would cost a bit, but it would be fun to do, and really cool if I could get it made out of Lucite. So when Mikey Boy decided to phone me just to fuck with me further, I stand by actions from that point on! - puffindave
ZZzzz... ZZzzz... ZZzzz... :wink:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I understand now. You wanted to punish them for your and their lack of knowledge. The desire to exact revenge sometimes causes more work and effort than I am willing to expend. Just give me back my money and I'll be on my way is pretty much my reaction in these situations.
I suppose, as long as your satisfied with you actions and the results attained, you should be content, feeling smug no less.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The offer of a full refund on a smoked pipe, in my opinion, is excellent customer service and certainly as much as should be expected. It should have ended there. No retailer is obliged to do more. The fact that they didn't do what you wanted them to do doesn't make them guilty of bad service. They did the right thing here, you just wanted something else. There might well have been some competence issues but that doesn't change the reality that they offered to make you whole.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
understand now. You wanted to punish them for your and their lack of knowledge. The desire to exact revenge sometimes causes more work and effort than I am willing to expend. Just give me back my money and I'll be on my way is pretty much my reaction in these situations.
I suppose, as long as your satisfied with you actions and the results attained, you should be content, feeling smug no less.

Yeah, I wanna punish them because I was ignorant. You really shouldn't pretend you aren't one of those people who blame everything on the victim in every case. Much as I could only agree that one who is taken by a Nigerian 419 scammer these days is remarkably ignorant, such victims are still taken, and there are always reasons why they didn't know any better.
No, Warren, if you knew me you would know that I'm anything but smug about this. There were two goals I had in mind: the first was to not feel taken this time and see a merchant make good after playing deceitfully with me, and the second was to do something to help improve the business climate for other new pipe buyers.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sorry, it just reads as smug. Especially the part about improving the business climate for other smokers. Nothing negative with feeling smug. Shouldn't take offense at that, it's a natural and very human reaction.
Edit: Smug just means being self-satisfied. You feel that you made the world a bit better and you have the right to feel smug.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Just a thought...this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby. I've made quite a few pipes for folks and occasionally screwed up...and when I have, the buyer communicated that and I corrected the problem and I fixed it. I could see investing this much energy and verbage in a badly drilled Ranier Barbi that you spent $5,000 on.... But for a $70 pipe with some oxidation? You could have spent the two hours spent on this post smoking a couple of bowls of your favorite tobacco...so grab a flake, fold it, stuff it, and move on...:)

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
pipestud:
ZZzzz... ZZzzz... ZZzzz... [:wink:]
At least you haven't resorted to launching ad-hoc mischaracterizations against me just because you disagree, or simply aren't interested.
I know my posts would seem a little long-winded to those who are light on reading comprehension :wink:, but I wanted to be clear about what had happened and why I did what I did about it. I'm beginning to see some irony in the images I had of Albert Einstein and Ernest Hemingway when I took up pipe smoking.
What do you guys actually read when you smoke a bent pipe on account of the fact that you are reading?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I stop in Edleez with some frequency and I have had quite the opposite experience. I've purchased three estate pipes from the glass displays. If you can't find a decent estate pipe a that shop, no offense, you must be blind. Many quality brand estates are on display, just pick one. Please show me a picture of the pipe in question.
They literally had about 100 good quality estate pipes in the display cases on my visit in early April. I simply ran out of money. I found the two PM clerks (young college aged guys) and an older lady (during the day) very easy to deal with. See my recent threads in the British pipes section on - Sasieni Moorgate, First Barlings and Ashton XX Pebble Grain purchases. Three great pipes at terrific prices. I would say the staff there isn't as knowledgeable about pipes as they are cigars. I almost felt guilty about the prices I paid for these high grade British estates.
I'm still trying to figure out why you didn't take the offered refund.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
ssjones:
I stop in Edleez with some frequency and I have had quite the opposite experience. I've purchased three estate pipes from the glass displays. If you can't find a decent estate pipe a that shop, no offense, you must be blind.
I didn't even look at the glass display case maybe because when it doubles as a service counter and the place is growing crowded it's too hard to get an eyefull of whatever it holds. There are also estate shelves on the opposite wall by the tobacco jars, which even I couldn't miss. They are uncovered and near the door and display window. Yeah, the sunlight, so that's how vulcanite gets corrupted, now I know! Why aren't more good pipes made with lucite instead?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Yeah, the sunlight, so that's how vulcanite gets corrupted, now I know! Why aren't more good pipes made with lucite instead?l[/quote

You will find vulcanite on older pipes and some preform stems. The newer version of that material is ebonite-basically the same material but with a lower sulphur content which is what creates the oxidation, lucite is rarely used in high end pipes-95% of high end pipes use ebonite from Germany.(JT Cooke bring a notable exception)

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Instead of a pipe shop or this forum...maybe a psychiatrist is better suited to these deep rooted issues...kick back, enjoy the pipe and "Let It Go"

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
ssjones, take a look at those open shelves next to the tobacco jars the next time you go in there, and if you don't see a number of other pipes with stems in similar condition (not apparently problematic to the inexperienced eye, but too flat-tone colored to be healthy vulcanite), then my efforts to discourage their practice of offloading items which they had damaged through their own neglect has not been in vain.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Zack24, I know the US is getting to be a bit more like the Third World every day, but you must be from a different country. Or very rich, either way I haven't seen much ebonite in my browsing, and when I googled it up when I saw it mentioned for the first time ever in the wake of this incident, I viewed only a few pipes which sell for over $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.