PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Title edited. Original:
"Would Anybody Be Interested In Contributing to/Subscribing To A DIY Pipe Magizine?"

Was thinking about a labor of Love for all things Pipes and Tobacco, a zine more than a magazine.

Probably Black and White 8x11 photocopied and all maybe silkscreened with tri tone covers and staple bound.

Would anyone Contribute/Subscribe?

I love getting things in the mail and turning actual pages.

Profits be dammed, but enough to cover production costs and postage would be nice.

What do you want to read about, articles and such?

How many issues per year seems right?

How much would you pay for a yearly Subscription?

General thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Take it from me... I know from experience. You would be much wiser to do an online magazine and rely of some paid ads for income. The internet has spoiled most people as far as paying for magazines is concerned. Also, producing a printed mag that is mailed is a lot more work. Good luck! puffy
Thanks for piping in, yes it would really depend on interest, just putting out the feelers.
I might make a demo issue and send it as a freebie to a few key B&M's and see if what happens.
I'm still interested to see what folks here think...

Reactions: ron123

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Not going to be a whole lot of help here. But my favorite articles to read are about past pipe smokers. (Maybe like a smoker of the month type thing) And when I read those articles, I skip past their other hobbies and careers and stuff. I just want to know about their smoking. How often, what kind, pipe stories about them by other people.

Now that I'm typing this, it sounds like the smoking pipes articles 🤣 gahhhhh

Reactions: vosBghos and ron123

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Not going to be a whole lot of help here. But my favorite articles to read are about past pipe smokers. (Maybe like a smoker of the month type thing) And when I read those articles, I skip past their other hobbies and careers and stuff. I just want to know about their smoking. How often, what kind, pipe stories about them by other people.

Now that I'm typing this, it sounds like the smoking pipes articles 🤣 gahhhhh
I like the smoker of the month Idea and keeping it focused on Pipes and Tobacco.

Reactions: didimauw and ron123

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
As someone who has worked in newspapers and magazines my entire adult life, I’d advise you to partner with someone who knows the ropes and has BTDT. It may open your eyes. There are good reasons why projects like this seldom succeed, and it’s not for lack of good intentions. Even when contributors are paid and have contracts, it is always problematic getting them to make deadline. As editor/publisher, you will do the lion’s share of the work, including a lot of things that other people promised they’d take care of. You will spend your own money to keep this project afloat and you’ll never get it back. This is not sour grapes, it’s reality.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
As someone who has worked in newspapers and magazines my entire adult life, I’d advise you to partner with someone who knows the ropes and has BTDT. It may open your eyes. There are good reasons why projects like this seldom succeed, and it’s not for lack of good intentions. Even when contributors are paid and have contracts, it is always problematic getting them to make deadline. As editor/publisher, you will do the lion’s share of the work, including a lot of things that other people promised they’d take care of. You will spend your own money to keep this project afloat and you’ll never get it back. This is not sour grapes, it’s reality.
Yeah I hear ya I have put out a few Zines. I'm thinking something rather small and boutiqueish.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Was thinking about a labor of Love for all things Pipes and Tobacco, a zine more than a magazine. Probably Black and White 8x11 photocopied and all maybe silkscreened with tri tone covers and staple bound.

Would anyone Contribute/Subscribe?

I love getting things in the mail and turning actual pages.

Profits be dammed, but enough to cover production costs and postage would be nice.

What do you want to read about, articles and such?

How many issues per year seems right?

How much would you pay for a yearly Subscription?

General thoughts?
love to contribute

Reactions: vosBghos