Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Probably not. Chuck Stanion and SPC put out pretty high quality stuff each week and so does this site but I barey read them. I've not enough time really. There's just too stuff out there vying for my attention.
That’s a very valid observation.
If you are going to start a new publication, you need to ask yourself how will it be notably better than what already exists. How will your magazine’s voice resonate with readers in a way that no other competitor publication or social media does? How will you provide consistently unique content?

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
That’s a very valid observation.
If you are going to start a new publication, you need to ask yourself how will it be notably better than what already exists. How will your magazine’s voice resonate with readers in a way that no other competitor publication or social media does? How will you provide consistently unique content?
Good points and challenges.

Off the top of my head a few things I would enjoy.

It would have actual pages to turn.
It would be currated not moderated.
No Advertising = No Bias.
Unique hopefully in the same way that D.I.Y. Zine culture is to mainstream Magazine culture, more of an artifact than a consumer product.
The Contributors would be doing it for love not money which tends to make things more interesting.
With a revolving cast like when people get burned out or maybe we could rotate a bit with each issue and keep it fresh.

Just spitballing here.

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Some magazines that have a limited appeal use naked/half naked women to increase interest. Maybe you can do something with that.

But seriously, I think I would have some interest even though I just joined up to receive The Pipe Collector after seeing it mentioned on this forum twice recently. I suppose it would have to offer something that I don’t already find on this forum or in The Pipe Collector.

Perhaps naked women? 😂

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Just throwing it out there, it already exists and you can and should contribute to it…View attachment 252416
You took the words right out of my mouth... the NASPC does a fantastic job putting out a similar publication. there's also a reason, that this website (notice the name) is on the Internet and no longer a publication.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
You took the words right out of my mouth... the NASPC does a fantastic job putting out a similar publication. there's also a reason, that this website (notice the name) is on the Internet and no longer a publication.
Yeah the NASPC is worth bolstering rather than starting a new project imo. Let’s keep what we’ve got and build on it rather than starting something new.

The internet has spoiled most people as far as paying for magazines is concerned.
I have about six... ummm, nine subscriptions to paper publications, because I hate reading stuff online, plus, the news online is mostly BS. It's just nice to get things in hand. Online for me, is merely for communication like this place.

I hesitated at silkscreen though. What a messy and expensive printing technique, plus the readability of small text is nil. Maybe just laser print, maybe with some plates added.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I have about six... ummm, nine subscriptions to paper publications, because I hate reading stuff online, plus, the news online is mostly BS. It's just nice to get things in hand. Online for me, is merely for communication like this place.

I hesitated at silkscreen though. What a messy and expensive printing technique, plus the readability of small text is nil. Maybe just laser print, maybe with some plates added.
Silkscreen is just for the covers the innards would all be photocopy. I'm going to reach out on the PM's soon and and make the first demo issue maybe like 50 and get some feedback.

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Was thinking about a labor of Love for all things Pipes and Tobacco, a zine more than a magazine. Probably Black and White 8x11 photocopied and all maybe silkscreened with tri tone covers and staple bound.

Would anyone Contribute/Subscribe?

I love getting things in the mail and turning actual pages.

Profits be dammed, but enough to cover production costs and postage would be nice.

What do you want to read about, articles and such?

How many issues per year seems right?

How much would you pay for a yearly Subscription?

General thoughts?
Yawn

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Me too.

101 Ways to Keep People Off Your Lawn
This is exactly the kind of creative ideas I'd enjoy, monthly articles that go beyond the standard fare.

Original poetry, art, photography, comics, as well as baccy,pipe and B&M reveiws.

Thinking about themed issues also. Been leaning toward 4 seasonal issues so that they there would be plenty of prep time and they would chalk-full of interesting curated content.

Reactions: Ryan