PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
pipeinhand,

You bring up a very good point, which is why I agree with you. We ARE NOT like cigarette smokers. Our tobacco use is not intended to be a nicotine delivery system as a cigarette is. Kevin's wine-beer analogy was perfect in this way. That's why I said, they (cigarette smokers, dippers, snuffer, etc.) can be with us, just make sure they're down-wind from me. I don't want to smell it or step in it (I suppose the snuffers can hang out with me though). But as simenon points out, "I do realize that the pipe tobacco industry is inextricably linked with the fortunes of Big Tobacco. That means we are all stuck between a rock and a hard place..." This where I'm coming from.
-Jason

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I agree, it is unfortunate that the last major report we tend to quote is from 1964. As simenon noted, not a lot of studies these days about pipes. It would be hard to do with the limited sample size compared to 50 years ago.
In a way though, I’m not sure it matters. I am more than willing to accept that there may be elevated health risks from the use of tobacco. In fact, I tailor my smoking habits with that in mind. I smoke a bowl on Friday evening, when the work week is through, and usually another Sunday afternoon. I might have another pipe or cigar once a month while washing the car and will likely smoke a bowl on a special occasion, might fire one up on Christmas morning when the presents are unwrapped and the roast is in the oven. I’m willing to accept the admittedly minor effect to my health and believe I derive a much greater benefit to my soul from my moments with a pipe.
Yet, there are too many who would argue that I’m clearly an addict and the effect of this vice on my body is catastrophic. These are the people who cannot be convinced that an individual is capable of exercising willpower or moderation. No, no, they see a society where the individual not only should not but CANNOT be allowed to decide. They see the individual as incapable of this level of decision making and are, in the same moment, blind to the historical examples where their line of thinking has played out to the detriment of all.
One tries to live a relatively healthy life, rising each morning to exercise, eating sensibly, moderating those small vices that might give a person a small moment of joy. To me, this all seems a rather reasonable approach. Still, I have eaten red meat and the medical finger is wagged. I enjoy a beer most nights and, like most, have drank to excess and the neo-prohibitionists point out the drunkard as a burden to society. Last, but not least, should I admit to using tobacco, but once in a twelve month period, the insurance man shakes his head at my inability to control my devastating habit.
I could apologize in advance if my frank tones have offended anyone, but I won’t, because I don’t like it I tell you, not one bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.