PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Just listened to the show. Great job all way 'round.
I am actually glad Ramona got to speak because I think she reflects a large portion of the population and it's important to get the counter-arguments out there.
Nice job Kevin!

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Brewshooter, I didn't mean to attack you haha. But still check out The Great Divorce it's really good! And Kevin, good job. If I had Ramona's scant ability to reason I would be embarrassed to speak!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Oh no problem assaad, I agree with you, it's an odd way to refer to C.S. Lewis. Although, come to think of it, I am reading the Narnia books to my kids at the moment.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
LIstening to the podcast now and loving it! Very nice job, Kevin. Your response to Ramona was perfect.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Excellent, Kevin, you are a true gentleman under what I consider some trying moments and a credit to us all.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I listend to npr wyoming all bloody day for this show. Subjected to multiple episodes of all things considerd, and fresh air.....I feel as though I've been polluted; and it never aired. Had to stream it at the end of the day.

The show was much to short; but kevin did well.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
.....I smoke about 6 hours a day while driving.....is that to much, or will I live forever (as I don't inhale)?

Aug 1, 2012
Great show. I don't have time to look now but I'll try to remember to find it later but I remember reading that smoking is no longer the leading cause of "preventable" death, it's now supposed to be obesity.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Nice job, Kevin. I think Ramona is a hoot. Her problem is not smoking as much as the paint chips she ingested as a kid. You were way more diplomatic than many of us would have been. I remember that the first rule of debate is never accept anyting that your opponent says as true. Well done.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Thank you, Kevin, for your unselfish contribution to our favorite past-time... pipe-smoking!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Listening right now while sanding my stem on my old old pipe, Kevin's the coolest sounding pipe smoker ever. I wish I had his voice!

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Alright, kicked ass with the smoking Nazi, good job Kevin. If only we had more venue to get the word out that WE ARE NOT cigarette smokers, and shouldn't be all lumped together with them and chaw and snuff and ....

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
If only we had more venue to get the word out that WE ARE NOT cigarette smokers, and shouldn't be all lumped together with them and chaw and snuff and ....

While I agree with you, I think that if we start trying to single out tobacco that is "bad", the divide and conquer of tobacco users will gain more momentum. This will leave those who grow tobacco searching for new revenue and make our tobacco much harder to get. I'm oversimplifying, of course, but I think we have to stick together. Just keep the dippers and nail smokers on the other side of the tent, thank you. I only want to smell quality leaf, not reconstituted tobacco-paper.
-Jason

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
just finished the show. It was good, wish it was longer. Hearing the discussion somewhere other than our pod cast was great. best part i found my white wale in the links off to the side lol

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Jason, you have a point but, there always is, we are purists in what we do. Tobacco, as we use it, is not near as 'bad' as cigarettes, we need not go into that one, or snuff, putting a powdered substance in your brain cavity, or chaw, swallowing, oh yes it gets there, nasty juices, or hookah, I don't know what the hell is in that stuff, and I could go on. Now maybe because I am in the blending business I feel a little aloof from the rest of the smoker/tobacco world but, I do not want to be recognized as anything to do with cigarettes, et al. I would support their rights, I would allow them to enjoy their products as much as I do mine, but, there it is again, the non-smoker Nazis only see the group without the distinction, as Kevin pointed out. And there we part ways.
The wine reference is a good one here also, is a wine cooler wine, is Sangria and so on that adds a bunch of stuff to wine to make it something else? I think not, and I think any wine drinker would agree with that.
I wish other tobacco users well in their fight but, I will still proclaim, I am not them.
Please note: this is not a flame, or a terse word, it is open discourse, and in no way political, and I open the floor to retort. We haven't had a good point, counter-point in a while.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It is clear that Ramona has an unwavering belief that all tobacco is equally bad and that it should be banished from society. I disagree with her, but she has her rights to expression. My biggest problem with her is that she seeks to strangle free speech about a cultural phenomenon because it doesn't appeal to her sensibilities; if everybody had that kind of veto power, there would be nothing but white noise going over the airwaves...
I think the pipe smoking caller who followed her said it best: moderation is key. He quit a two pack a day habit, now he occasionally smokes a pipe and he does not inhale. By any measure of logic, he has considerably reduced his risks. People like Ramona need to wake up and see that everything is not black and white in this world. The fact remains, of course, that there remains a risk to all those who smoke. (So there is a kernel of truth hidden within her zealotry, but it is well obscured by her propaganda)
I thought Kevin did a great job on this show; his comparisons between tobacco and wine appreciation were particularly apt. With all due respect, however, I think that the 1964 Surgeon General's report is of questionable utility in this day and age. Even if some of its conclusions are sound, it is most certainly outdated and quotes from a 50 year old report about smoking aren't going to convincingly win any debates.
Unfortunately, however, there just aren't many studies done about pipe smoking in the modern era and you can almost bet that the conclusions of a new study will be negative because of the preconceived notions held by the authors. (You also have to keep in mind who is funding the studies...)
I am also not an apologist for cigarette smoking, but I do realize that the pipe tobacco industry is inextricably linked with the fortunes of Big Tobacco. That means we are all stuck between a rock and a hard place...
I think the pipe maker (I missed his name) managed to do a good job explaining the differences between the pipe materials - which the host clearly knew nothing about.
GLP's contribution was far too short and far too general (what can you expect one to cover in a few minutes?) but I think he gives the listener a glimpse into the vast world of pipe tobacco that exists. He also does his part, however slight, to dispel the notion that ALL pipe tobacco inherently smells "good" to passersby... ;)
As somebody who enjoys the musty smell of Virginia tobacco, I still think there is an appeal to natural unflavoured smoke, but I have a feeling that not everybody shares my enthusiasm for such aromas!

Status
Not open for further replies.