PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
It is incredible the tiny amount of information that can be covered in one hour. I can imagine listening to an hour on NASCAR and still not getting it... It was great to hear all of the guests speak even though you pretty much already knew what they were going to say. Kevin, Greg and Michael are all fine ambassadors of the pipe!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Kevin, well done.
The wine analogy was very apt -- albeit lost on Ramona, I suppose.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Downloaded it and listening now.
I found it funny that Ramona mentioned the Marlboro Man who smoked cigarettes. Apples and Oranges.
Ahhh.. propaganda...
Jason
EDIT: I admit, since trying new tobaccos, I am finding myself smoking at least 3 bowls a day. Way more than I used to.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Kevin I think you handled it as well as could have been. People like her cannot be reasoned with. As is always the heart of the matter with dealing with people like Ramona is they feel they must control the masses and decide what is best for us. My response is who are you to to dictate what I do as an adult? If you don't like the programing shut it off. AND kudos to NPR and Colin Mcenroe for doing the show. I would have liked to have heard it as an outsider or non-pipesmoker.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Kevin,
You pretty much called her out parroting the same old line. I won't deny that smoking 2 packs a day (or in pipe terms, 20+ some bowls a day.. wowsers) is healthy. Nor is eating a low fiber, high fat diet of fast food... Nor is drinking a 24 pack of beer a day. Nor is tanning all the time in the sun. But moderation in all things. Where is the outcry?
I like the fact that the host pretty much said hey, we are adults and I would think we should behave like them and make our own decisions. Should I not be allowed to enjoy a nice adult beverage in moderation because someone abuses a substance? Should I not enjoy a pipe in moderation because the Marlboro man died of lung cancer for smoking multiple packs a day?
Sorry.. I get a little hot under the collar with this. Too many sheep, not enough folks enjoying a pipe and thinking rationally and making their own decisions. :)
Jason
BTW... I brought in another pipe smoker to the fold. He doesn't smoke cigarettes, but he enjoys fine cigars once in a while. I told him he may enjoy pipe smoking too (or better). He loves it and is enjoying it. I am trying to get him to join the forums.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Outstanding job, Kevin. I don't think anybody could have done a better job representing pipe smokers.
Colin and his crew did a good job in keeping the show from being highjacked by the anti smoking element. Ramona had her say and you and Colin did a good job in keeping everything in perspective. I think that Colin being a non-smoker gave a feeling of impartiality to the whole matter.
Comparing pipe tobacco with wine was a great way to explain the differences in pipe tobaccos and blends.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
For the record, here is what I told Ramona -
She is reciting a rote regurgitation of completely false propaganda and politically motivated hyperbole.
Feel free to use that next time someone does it to you.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I'm looking forward to listening once it finishes downloading. Brewshooter, great quote! But don't overlook Lewis's work for adults, including his fiction like The Great Divorce, at least I think it was written for adults.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
For the record, here is what I told Ramona -
She is reciting a rote regurgitation of completely false propaganda and politically motivated hyperbole.
Feel free to use that next time someone does it to you.
Will do! Ya know, it's not called propaganda anymore.. it's called really good marketing!! :rofl:
My bowl is filled with SG Commonwealth in one of my Meers for the ride home to put things into perspective :puffpipe:
Oh and great job Kevin! You have a good radio voice. And for some reason, you remind me of Neil DeGrasse Tyson (one of my favorite scientists) when he speaks on the radio. Very clear and well spoken.
Jason

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just downloaded the show and will listen to it in the car on my drive to NY tomorrow.
You are right Kevin, the anti's never do their research and just regurgitate what they've heard, no matter the accuracy. Convincing the anti's that pipe smoking is different than cigarettes is a huge leap for them, this is a good step.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Brewshooter, great quote! But don't overlook Lewis's work for adults, including his fiction like The Great Divorce, at least I think it was written for adults.
That was just the way the quote was attributed when I found it. I was going to make it say just C.S. Lewis and then realized it actually was kind of amusing to leave it that way, as it seems to really oversimplify the man.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Listening to it right now.
I think the most powerful response to Ramona was, obviously, differentiating pipes from cigarettes, and then drawing a parallel to a glass of wine vs a 24 pack of Natural Light.
I could listen to Jeff Gracik and Greg Pease talk about pipes and tobacco all day.
Oh, and you were good too, Kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.