How/What Beverages do You Pair with Your Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
two answers. Water and I do like smoking the pipe excessively when drinking liquor especially dark liquors.
One of my favorite pipe booze experiences was the second to last time I got drunk. I smoked my meer with some semeios while sipping brandy on my old porch. The stars where excessively clear and beautiful that night. One of those nights where it is easy to pick out the color of the stars with the naked eye and see that the stars are different distances away. :)

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I very rarely drink alcohol on weekdays, so I usually pair my smokes with my standard around the house beverage: heavily watered down juice with ice, usually lemonade or lime aid.

I’m always happy with a Pils or Helles with a pipe, carbonation and all. Otherwise, I’ll have something dry (like a Guinness) with an aromatic, or sweet (like Bourbon or a Manhattan) with a burley blend. With a Virginia, really anything seems good to me, though a tea hot toddy seems to pair really well with a bright leaf blend.

Reactions: Smoke Wagon

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Typically coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon.

In terms of paring I find burleys and coffee to be a classic.

Recently Im beginning to think black tea with cream and sugar is a great pairing with Vapers. It seems to bring out the sweetness.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
If it’s not coffee, then I prefer water or iced tea If I am trying to really enjoy the smoke. Guess I am smoking too fast as I prefer cold drinks to calm and reset my taste buds ever so often.

If the whiskey is out, the I am less concerned with the nuances of the leaf and more about the overall experience.

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
I drink canned Margaritas sometimes while pipe smoking.. Age and tolerance issues cause me to be fond of sweet. The Margaritas have just enough sweet and alcohol bite to satisfy me at this stage of my life. In the mornings I drink black coffee with my mild smoking Peterson.

Last edited:
I didn’t really think about drinking paired with smoking a pipe ’til a few days ago. Tried Pepsi and wasn’t that impressed and tea didn’t do much for me either. But I had a freshly ground, Italian blend, long black coffee this morning and it was fantastic. I think that will be my go to in the future.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Coffee, tea, water and occasionally cola.
As for adult beverages, most often bourbon and occasionally rum or brandy.
I do not go out of my way to match pipe and drink though.

PaulDM

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
Coffee goes with almost anything I find. If I want something cold I like coconut water - I find that it really cleanses the palate. I never drink alcohol when I smoke (pipes or cigars) - I'm extra cautious and avoid it out of concern that it increases possibility of nasty oral health problems (C word).

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Beer! I would suggest a richer flavoured, darker beer rather than an IPA. Something like a Porter is a reliable option, or else a brown ale is good.

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Hmmmm....depends on the time of day. If it's morning, it's coffee. If it's breaktime it's water. If it's after dinner it could be either scotch or Amarula, depending on the blend. I could have said "about anything," but those are about the only 3 things i drink these days besides wine. Don't often pair that one with tobacco, tho. It's for mealtime. :)