PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
I just put in an order for this one here. Will let you guys know what I think. Will be my second "mid-level" pipe, so high hopes. My first "mid-levl" pipe is one I bought off of Smokingpipes for $55, no brand, but it was an Italian estate.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Extreminate:Assumably this will be a very nice pipe, I have had similar estate Stanwell military 51 with smaller bowl (Danish production era)and I liked it a lot, although,sad enough,had to sell it in order to rise money for another pipe purchases, But My congrats on your choise, with Stanwells You cant go wrong,

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I have acquired several italian made Stanwells over the past couple of years....a Brushed Brown, 2 Brushed Blacks and 4 Trios in both sandblast and smooth. All of them are great smokers and the finishes, stems and fit are holding up extremely well. I highly recommend them for the money.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I think you did well with your selection. It should be a good smoker for you.

I don't own a Stanwell pipe, but I thoroughly enjoy my Savinelli and Peterson pipes. From multiple tobacconists I talked to when I was getting into pipe smoking several years ago they all stated that Stanwell, Savinelli, and Peterson pipes were all on par with one another, excluding the high end Savinelli and Peterson pipes.

kevincardiff

Lurker
May 24, 2011
I have at least twenty Stanwells and have never had one that didn't at least smoke decently, but all of mine are Danish. Can't vouch for the newer ones made in Italy. At present, though, I think Peterson pipes offer some of the best value in their price range.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
i have one, it turned out to be a pretty good pipe, i think they are awesome.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
I have a Stanwell Royal Danish, and I love it so much that I defer from using it because I abused it lately. they are so good

snappertiger

Lurker
Jun 13, 2018
I have Several pipe including , Savinelli, Stanwell ,B&B, Mr.Brog, Peterson , several Meerschaums and etc.

I have to confes so far my worst pipe is Stanwell De Luxe 246!

No matter what i do and which filter i do use , i get usually tongue bite and this pipe behave so strange .

I am not sure abput rest of Stanwells maybe my pipe is a bad one.

I suppose the draught hole is too big and there is something wrong with Briar used in this pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There was a stretch after Stanwell went to Italy with production that pipe people had skepticism about the new location, and that notion lingers. I don't own any Danish made Stanwells, though the design and company headquarters are still there, I think. The Italian made pipes, the four of them I own, have been excellent

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My first "decent" pipe was an Italian made Stanwell #185. It smokes very well.
I grabbed a handful of the brown rusticated ones when they were blowing them out for $20.
I've only put one into use so far, but it also smokes well, a shape #86.
I've never owned a Danish one but will vouch for the current production stuff as good enough.
Having some Dark Flake, Unscented in the 86 as we type...
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't shopped online retailers for Stanwells lately, but when i was, pipesandcigars seemed to have the inside track on Stanwells and pricing. They still carry the brushed brown and black series for $49.99, and they did the aforementioned discount where they were asking only $20 apiece. I missed that one. None of my four are filtered, and all have a good open draw and are nicely drilled and finished. Anyone building a rotation of pipes might well look these over.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have five Stanwells, some danish and some italian made. They all smoke well. I have two Savinellis, and although they smoke well, the filter space is an irritation to me, as it collects gunk and is a pain to clean for someone who doesn't use filters. But I see your Stanwell is not drilled for filters, so I am sure you've done well.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Stanwell makes good pipes. Also some of their designs originally come from amazing carvers. Hunting cheap reg. numbered Stanwells is fun, but I have never had one that smoked poorly.

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
I have two and love them both
Stanwell Handmade 84 1/2 Bent Large Apple (9mm filter)
Stanwell Danish Design 404 Black White Partial Sandblast Yachtsman

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have some old Danish Stan’s that are amazing smokers. I also have a newer Italian made bulldog that smokes very well.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have seven Stanwells Two of them Danish era production(new old stock items-Flame grains) and the rest are those made in Italy,prior to this I have owned several other Italian made Stanwells as well,all I can say the quality and engineering wise they all were flawless,notheless recently I have discovered that Stans what I have today tend to smoke a wee bit on the hotter side(Royal Guard and Duke models)but again all mine have rather medium thickness bowls and the factory pre carbonation was removed which may affect on how the pipe performs.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
If I were to buy another pipe, it would be a Savinelli. However, I got four Stanwells during the sale, and they have moved to the top of my rotation. Best 80 bucks I ever spent! (Almost)

Status
Not open for further replies.