PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I had some Danish ones years ago but none of the newer Italian ones. But either way, never once have I heard anyone say a bad word about Stanwell.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have a pair of short Stanwell bulldogs. I like them a lot, but on the whole, I think you get a better deal from Savinelli.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
To add to my earlier posts,these classic shaped medium sized (rather on the narrower side)Stanwell pipes are like if they were designed for smoking virginia forward flake tobacco such as Orlik or Dunhill, and look at them classical shapes,aren't they pretty looking and something distinctive Danish?(Aldecaker, You may be very right with your assumption,)

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Glad to hear you pulled the trigger. I have a Stanwell in my work bag right now and like it, though my relationship with this pipe is too early to offer a fully formed opinion.
To offer a particularly formed opinion, here's an article GL Pease wrote on a Stanwell pipe. Here.
If you don't have time to read the whole thing, here's a very important part at the end for you:
I think Stanwells are the best factory pipes being made, especially for the price. If you want to fill out your rotation, it would be hard to go wrong with these pipes.
May the Post be swift!

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
Stanwells are great! I have three. They smoke fantastic, plus you get to buy into a brand with a history and a deep connection with the Scandinavian artisan pipe tradition. That particular Stanwell that you are looking at was designed by Nana Ivarsson which is Sixten’s grand daughter, the third generation of Ivarsson to collaborate with Stanwell.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just now smoking my Danish Era Stanwell model 98 lovat filled with folded Orlik Golden sliced ,and somehow I feel like if these pipes were specifically designed for smoking virgina forward flakes, experiencing cool and dry smoke without overheating issues this time around.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
I like Stanwells so much that I collect them; first and foremost reg. nos. from the fifties and sixties and then Sixten Ivarsson designs, but any Danish Stanwell will do as long as I like the shape and the finish.

I am happy with each and every single one of them; even their seconds as 'Sailor', 'Bijou' and 'Royal Danish' smoke just as well as the Stanwells proper.
:puffy:

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I love Stanwells. I have a billiard and a Dublin in their brushed brown economy line and they are great pipes especially for the price. I actually have two more on the way right now as P&C have had them on sale. Can't say enough good things.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I have a Stanwell Authentic and it is a terrific smoker. Love to smoke Virginia flakes in it, stays nice and cool.

Aug 14, 2012
I do not mean to offend anyone, but Stanwells were never great and the Italian Stanwells are poor. I did have a gold crown Danish Stanwell that was an excellent smoker

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Foggymountain, I have to find this out yet,since about half of my pipes are Italian era Stanwells, agreed those Danish makes were better (I have had them in the past and even now I own two straight grain Danish made) one thing I have discovered these my newer Stanwells tend to heat up a bit more than I liked,nonetheless I find them as great flake tobacco smokers, speaking of engineering and overall quality I have never had bad Stanwells.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe I'm too easily pleased, but here's what I like about my all-Italian Stanwells. They have a good open draw. They're durable. The fit and finish is good. The communications guy with Lane, I think it was, when asked about pipes, said he wasn't a pipe man, just a tobacco guy, so he mostly smoked Stanwells he was given by the firm free. I do admire foggymountain's highly tuned appreciation of his Dunhills, which he has owned in quantity and for many years. And he doesn't like the Shell Briars or the Cumberlands, so it isn't all Dunhills. i'm afraid I still find a Kaywoodie Drinkless quite a fine smoking experience, as with many Savenellis, Chacoms, and Petes. foggy's lucky to have found pipes that are just, just right.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
"good open draw. They're durable. The fit and finish is good" -- Not much more you can really ask, is there?? I mean, apart from style issues & such.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I hate any Savinelli with a balsa filter.
I love Savinelli pipes but also hated the balsa filter. It's grown on me though since it really does absorb a lot of the moisture (steam) which contributes to tongue bite. Now I use them all the time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My one and only. A filterless, Danish made Stanwell Silver 108 gifted to me last year by a forum member. Great little smoker.
20180703_225218.jpg

qmechanics

Lurker
Dec 17, 2012
Kansas
Hi

Try looking at Cigarbid's new Pipe and Pipe Tobacco section. There are a number of Stanwell pipes and others.
If you enjoy Lane bulk RPL6, MV-1000,HG-2000 etc,they sell from around 11-15 dollars a pd. If you are into Captain Black and such 10-20 dollars for a 12 ounce can is typical. They also carry Dunhill, Bengal Slices, Gurkha, Orlik, Ashton,Lane,

Seattle Pipe Club,MacBaren and other tins ( Not to mention pipe related products).

Status
Not open for further replies.