PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The best use for a pistol is to fight your way to one of these...
ClintAK5BWsmall.jpg

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
I also have a NAA Mimi mag22. Cute gun and since i do not know how

I would react in a situation that i would need it or my 38 Smith and Wesson

1954 police spcl and I do know I cant hit the side of a barn, I grab a Screwdriver.

Phillips of coarse-less damage to me if someone takes it away. Flathead can cut sideways deeper

Picked that trick up before i could tell the a sound of a spider scream. Brakeklean makes a good

self defence spray.

Joe

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The Little Mini Revolver is awesome. It's built tougher than it looks and if the 22 Mag hitting you at point blank didn't get you, the muzzle blast would do a rustication job on your face and you'd be deaf, too. I've only shot it with hearing protection on and it's louder than my .45. It's accurate enough to hit the "killzone" area of a target at 5 yards. I wouldn't even try if the baddie was further away than that. At that point I'd use the Nike Defense and leave them in the dust.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It's ok except for two things... no penetrating power and the weight,
The whole stopping power argument is a bit elusive to me, at least for the average person. If someone shot me with a .22 while I was trying to break into their house and it didn't kill me, I'd run like a school girl with her hair on fire. I have a hard time believing most criminals wouldn't do the same, so I consider that stopping power. I haven't run into any violent crack heads and I used to live next to the worst housing project in the country so I am confused why stopping power has become the big selling point for larger calibers.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've personally seen more bodies that got to my table because of a .22 short or .25, robably fired from a weapon that cost under $100 than a .44 or .45. The whole "stopping power" argument is a pecker contest IMHO. The science behind it is based mostly on ballistic gelatin performance and the theory that x amount of penetration and x width of wound channel expansion will cause enough CNS shock to incapacitate the baddie before he can stab you to death in retaliation for shooting him. It's not bad theory, but it is still theory and I still have no desire to get shot with a .22. People forget that an AR-15 is just a .22 on steroids.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Thats what I thought baron. I've read and seen agent talk about most mob hits using a .22 not because of exit would power, but because they bounce around the body wreaking havoc. A .22 may go into a skull but most likely it wont come out, it will just scramble the contents as it bounces around.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yeh. That's the thing. Trying to defend yourself (ie. stop a confrontation) from a potential robber or other aggressor has a very different dynamic than hunting someone down and assassinating them. The bodies I see are usually of guys that didn't get into the mythical self-defence encounter most of is get trained for. Usually someone just walked up, blind-sided them, shot them several times, took what they wanted and left.
Being able to make shot placement when your brain is going ohshitohshitohshitohshit is way more important tna stopping power, because most of the time, if you really are shooting in self-defense, you are already being attacked.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
All of that said, unless you're a mob assassin, I reccommend the most firepower you can legally carry and be comfortable. I carry the mouse gun when I'm in just a t-shirt and board shorts, also If I were working at a job that frowned on their employees carrying firearms, the NAA fits into the 5th pocket of a pair of bluejeans unnoticed. I also have a holster that looks like a wallet in my back pocket.
For Home Def, I have the .45, a Mossberg .12ga and an AK-47, depending upon level, type and number of threat. The AK makes quite an impact on a car full of thugs that roll up into your yard wanting to start shit (yes, this happened to me).

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
and be comfortable
That's the keys right there. You have to shoot what you can hit with, whether it's a .22 or anti-aircraft gun mounted at the front porch.
Back when I had Sam, the GSD who grabbed the gang banger by the balls, my plan for home defense was to leave the doors and windows unlocked and pray some one broke in all the way before Sam launched his attack of Shock and Awe. After that, then we'd just hope they had ID on them so the remains could be sent to the morgue knowing who they were.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
hee hee. I have a loud-barking Maltipoo that knows not to get between me and my target. Pretty good dynamic there, too. She charges down the hall like she's blowing a bugle for the cavalry then hooks it into the kitchen and growls as threateningly as a 7 lb dog can while I clear the area.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i've got a cz75b single action only that can outshoot a sig and cost half the price. it's also way easier to clean than a 1911 and fits the hand like a dream. ammo's way cheaper than .45acp too.
as for cops shooting a guy 40 times and him surviving - well they were cops. i'm surprised they hit him at all.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Last month when I broke up a fight, all I was wearing was

flip flops, shorts with no pockets and a sleeveless t-shirt.

as being 65, i would look funny wearing a gun belt or a leg

holster or boots with a gun stuck in them.

Did not even thing about the screwdriver that I favor.

Screwdriver ? It's cheaper when you have to toss it before

having it taken from you in a realy bad judgement call.

Joe

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I'm not going to try and act like an expert but here's my two cents. If you are not only going to use it as home protection but also as a conceal carry you need to go with something that is compact and comfortable that also has a little knock down power. You have to walk that balance because a .380 in your waistband is a heck of lot more useful than a .45 in your glove box. If you buy something big, you WILL eventually get tired of hauling it around. I speak from experience, I carry a gun just about everywhere I go and my .380 even gets on my nerves at times. If I was trying to carry my P226 it just wouldn't happen.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
If you are going to make the decision to use deadly force on a person, do not worry about how far the bullet will travel and if it breaks up before it goes into your neighbor's house. Once you pick up your weapon only 2 things should enter your head. 1. Is the person in my sights, if not do not pull the trigger. 2. The person is in my sights, pull the trigger. Everything else is moot. So get the most reliable, most easily worked on weapon you can find with enough stopping power to drop a tweeked up maniac. Uncle had it, the 1911 45 ACP. Get 2 magazines and Trijicon night sights. You can customize one to fit your needs easily. Ammo is available everywhere and is cheap, Dirt Cheap as someone has pointed out. Get 185 GR Silvertips for the first 4 shots and 230 GR FMJ for the rest. You can figure out what to do with the FMJ.
I have had no problem with the two questions, so the 1911 is it.
The only advice I can give you is practice, practice, practice and when you are done, practice some more. Because when it happens, you will need to rely on memory, not about what you are thinking about in your head, which will not be what you think you will be thinking. You will not remember what you were thinking.
Only my 2P.

irish2fish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2011
Alaska
I personally carry a para ordenance 1911 style .45. I have no problems conceling it. Have never had a miss fire or jam. The second one that I carry from time to time is the SPRINGFEILD XD45. once again never had a problem with it, and it is in your price range, or was when I bought mine. My wife prefers the Springfeild XD40. once again good shooting pistol for a decent price. over all you need to get out there and try some out and see what works for you the best. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.