PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Other than they send you tons of mail? Suddenly, you're on a list for Republican politicians to call. If you're the paranoid type - it means you're on a list that the government can get a hold of. I know a guy who buys groceries and weapons and buries them in his back yard just in case there's a rebellion and the government comes for our guns and food... or something.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
Oh - one thing I didn't see mentioned was home storage. GA has a weird code (I don't know if its a law or only subjected to foster/adopt parents) where the gun has to be in a locked safe. The ammo has to be in a different locked safe in a different location. I know it's meant to keep the kiddos away from loaded weapons but it's inconvenient for a personal protection firearm.
I've lived and shot in GA for my entire life and I've never heard of such a law. In fact, I don't remember that being mentioned in any of my CCW paperwork either. I'll check up on it.

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
Yeah 44 when i got mine. Didnt know they were higher in GA now as ive moved to TN. 144 dollars here.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I didn't mention my SP101 is a hoot to shoot at the range. My wife even likes the gun and truth be told, is more accurate than I am....

Mine spend some time this past winter on the buffing wheel. The silly billboard is also a memory...

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
What gun it this?

beautifulbabewithdesrteaglepistol.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Oh yeah, I was gonna post about thow cool the SP101 is. Dang it Hobie! I had the spurless in .357 and it shot full pressure .357 loads great but it was really sketchy with the .38s. Does yors do that SS? I had a hogue monogrip like that too. Hella better than stock grips.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I carry a full sized 1911 everywhere concealed and never have any problems. The only time I swap to the mouse gun is if I'm in a place where hiding anything that doesn't fit into the 5th pocket on a pair of Levis is impossible (like a certain job where I'm not supposed to be armed).

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
two sides to every story. just wait till he quits breathing so yours is the only one told.

been shot at and missed. shot back, you know the rest.
sold all of my fire arms. a twenty eight inch file sharpend martindale does very well up close and personal. they bleed out faster.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
bigfoot - it's probably just a foster parent law then. We had a 30 page manual of home requirements that had to be met before we qualified. Even though our kids have been adopted for a while, we still follow them because we don't want to give the government any reason to ever come in our house again.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
The SP series of pistols are quite the bargain. Bought one of the snubbies for a girlfriend many moons ago. Wish I would have kept it for myself.
I have lots of handguns. Each one suits a purpose. Some a very specific one, others a variety.
I tend to carry a Smith 642 a LOT, along with a Bianchi speed strip. Sometimes, it is a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 Spcl.
Bedside piece is a Smith Model 66-1 loaded with .38 Spcl "FBI Loads".
My "truck gun", which stays locked in a metal box inside the truck is the Model 66-2, snubbie, also loaded with FBI loads.
Got a Custom 1911 for traveling, a Beretta PX4 for when I want to carry over 50 rounds in the pistol and two mags.
Pistols are a lot like pipes. They all do one basic job, but it is nice to have a rack of them for specific blends or circumstances.
But, never forget the old adage that a pistol is only good for one thing. And that is to fight your way to your rifle. Handgun rounds are notoriously "un-deadly" in the dangerous moments of close combat. Mostly, they are good for getting someone off your ass long enough for you to get the hell out of dodge.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Someone was mentioning the Walther PPK's.Avoid the PPK-S (stainless version), as they have a lot of Fail-to-feed issues.
As noted, as well, the newer generations of 9MM JHP rounds are quite a lot better these days. Good old free market economics. When the military, and then Law Enforcement, started pushing 9mm, the major ammo manufactures worked to out do each other in advancing the capabilities of the round. Same thing happened with the .40 caliber. For quite some time after it became popular, round selection was very limited. The idiot at Virginia Tech did quite an efficient job with a simple Glock 19. Most any of your "major brand" JHP rounds, and especially +P rounds, will do just fine.
The .380 round suffers from expansion problems in JHP. Just not enough juice behind the bullet. I will post some pics in a minute that demonstrate this.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
These are 3 rounds of Speer JHP .380 shot from approx. 3 feet into a pile of magazines.
imag1205s.jpg

It is not one of my favorite rounds, although we own 2 of the KelTec P3AT pistols. The pistols themselves are flawless, but the round is weak. I would suggest loading with the +P version of the .380 JHP, and do plenty of range practice aiming for the head or the thoracic triangle. It is not a "anywhere in center mass" round. The perfect way to use it would be to essentially "punch" with it, making contact with the zombie and quickly dumping the entire magazine into him at that point. Between the bullet and the muzzle blast and resulting pressures, you might get a bit more performance out of the weapon.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a Davis Industries P-380; .380 cal chrome plated...

I have no idea why I bought it... probably because it looks nice...

We call it the boat anchor... Totally impractical for personal protection.

Very low power, very loud, very-very heavy.

I suppose you could piss off the perp by shooting him then incapacitate him by dropping it on his foot.

:D
davis1.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I want something like this with the scope.
commando_squirrel2.jpg

I'n surprised you didn't like the .380 Lawrence, I had a Beretta and loved mine. Perfect hand feel and a comfortable gun to shoot.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's ok except for two things... no penetrating power and the weight, at least twice that of my Ruger P-90DC 0.45.

Now my other DI pistol while heavy will stop a truck...

Me likee this:
Davis Industries Over Under Derringer 38 Special

790f24d91de9877b21d7bd3fad504e57.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Neat, I always wanted one of those two shot derringers, especially in 38 special.
Missed the question on my SP101 (I keep forgetting to check a tread as "my favorite"). It shoots the Walmart white box 38's quite well. I generally put some heavier load .357 through it as well, to keep powder build-up down. I should shoot that one more often than we do, it is a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.