PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Hey now Tobakenist. We are civilized for the most part but the difference in the US is that not ONLY the criminals carry guns. And we can cary pocket knives too. Hah! :nana:
But on to the topic at hand. 1911 is a good choice but Glock is more reliable. You're gonna have to try different platforms and calibers and decide on your own what the right mix of firepower, concealability, reliabilty and cost is.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
As said before Screwdriver. Now the real thing. Pump 410g for home. On road N. A. 22mag.

For a real go to hell everyone for themselves--- single shot 22 that shoots only shorts Steven's that is. Best squirrel

gun. Do not want who ever to know where I am at.

I belive that it is every persons right to Carry any thing that protects his or hers

treasures.

My choice of " carry" would be a 380. Home protection .410 last than a screwdriver

first. Full out attack .22 short single shot.

Once that projectile leaves the chamber all hell brakes loose.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Can't underestimate the .22. I've seen more than one dead body made that way by the humble .22. It also does some ugly shit once it's inside your body. You can get shot once in the shoulder and end up with a punctured lung and the bullet lodged in your spine.

irish2fish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2011
Alaska
lets think about it buy the time you realize you are going to need to pull your pistol your enemy is with in arms reach not giving you much time to react, consider something that you can use a, a blunt weapon as well as a fireing weapon as your shots will most likely be wild. I am all about carrieing a side arm and do carry one everywere I go, but have rarely had the opertunity to pull it. most time it ends up being a crapelling match unless your perp is unexperianced and gives you a warning like in the movies. that being said get into some self defence classed and spend alot of time rehursing how to you use draw and when it is feasable. remember struggling to clear your weapom gives your foe the advantage,because all of your energy is going to maitaining control of thet weapon.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
personal oppinion sig 45 or a 1911 i have had good luck with rock island armory after changing the extractor for a steel one

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Wish I could help, but I like revolvers and shotguns for defense. 'Course I want an AK, or even an SKS for $100.
I think the best advice so far is, no one can know which you will like the best, but buy the best quality you can afford. Springfield Armory, Ruger, Glock all have good reputations. But if you can't hit with it, it's all for naught. I know you want a handgun, but don't forget your shotguns!

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I like revolvers best for personal defense: no chance of misfeeds, stovepipes, other types of ammo related malfunctions. Of course with a good pistol and ammo, autoloaders are reliable, but for me I think wheelguns are a wee bit safer for most people to handle.
For shooting people (what you'll really need to do when you defend yourself) I would never, ever pick anything smaller than a .38 Special. 9mms are too anemic to put a person down for good with one shot. The .45 ACP is a proven manstopper, as are the .38 Special, .357 Magnum and 45 Colt. I shot competitively with a top-flight accurized for bullseye work Colt Gold Cup in 45 ACP, but my home defense gun is a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special. 5 shots, all a feller needs iff'n he knows how to shoot. But, I would recommend to most people a revolver in .38 Special or 357 Magnum.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Did I miss something or did Bubba never mention what gun he bought?
I have a Springfield .45 with hollow points left over from liquidating the guns after my father passed.
his preference for home protection was a S&W 357 revolver with extended barrel, and I see the wisdom in it. you don't want a pistol to decide to jam at a crucial moment.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
For shooting people (what you'll really need to do when you defend yourself) I would never, ever pick anything smaller than a .38 Special. 9mms are too anemic to put a person down for good with one shot.
Not sure what you mean. Since the bullets in both the .38 special and the 9mm are of the same diameter, the question then becomes, which cartridge would give better performance? In most instances, a hollow point from a 9mm cartridge will expand better than one from a .38 Special.
The .45 ACP is a proven manstopper, as are the .38 Special, .357 Magnum and 45 Colt.
I won't argue that the .45 acp or the .357 mag have more than enough power to be effective "man-stoppers" and the .45 colt certainly can be depending on how its loaded. But,I stop short saying that about the .38 Special. Despite all that, what's more important is shot placement.
But, I would recommend to most people a revolver in .38 Special or 357 Magnum.
Despite my reservations about the .38 Special, I would agree that those are good choices Don't forget too, .38 Special can be fired from a handgun chambered for .357 magnum, though not reverse. One gun, best of both worlds!
Having said all that, the most important thing of all is finding a reliable gun that you can shoot well in a caliber that you can manage. Only the gun owner can determine what that is.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Having said all that, the most important thing of all is finding a reliable gun that you can shoot well in a caliber that you can manage. Only the gun owner can determine what that is.
That about sums it up. It's true that most folks put the .38 Special and the 9mm at the bottom of the list, but on the list. Some go down to the .380; some .380 guys will argue that, with the hottest load, they are more effective than a 2" .38. For some, there's nothing but the 45ACP. But, I also think equipment is the last thing you need to think about. I would say the important things for a self defense scenario, in order are:
1. Awareness

2. Preparedness

3. Tactics

4. Skill

5. Equipment
I couldn't agree more.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Hey Bubba, What do you need with a gun? The way you described your size and the size of your hands. Just stand up ball your fists and say real loud, BOO!!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
9mm handgun rounds have improved in the last 20 years. .38 Special +p Hollowpoints are pretty efficient as well. In the majority of defense situations the baddy quits once the weapon comes out. Exceptions to the rule would be situations where your job is to take control of violent situations and either remove or arrest offenders. You are more likely to have to use the weapon in a situation like that. If you do end up in a defense shooting, remember good shot placement beats the hell out of worrying about how much "stopping power" a particular round has. That, and your job as an armed civilian is not to kill people or maim them, but to "neutralize the threat". If you take the conflict past that point or act when you are not in the right legally, you will find yourself doing the prison shower dance. Remember that self defense is not a ubiquitous term for fighting bad guys. It is a legal term with a specific definition. Yes, we have a Constitutional right here in the US to carry a firearm, but every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
9mm is just fine as a manstopper. Anyone who says otherwise is ignoring 100 years of evidence and battlefield proving. I have a 9mm Taurus PT92 that serves bedside duty as well as occasional carry.

6037193964_89e18e8acf.jpg

If your wanting a good conceal carry pistol, visit a gun shop and check out some smaller framed guns firsthand and see what fits your hand easy, and what you like personally. Guns are a very personal thing, like pipes. Asking for advice from others is just going to get you a hundred different answers from other people's perspectives.
Just remember, practice is much more important than caliber.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Im a Glock 22C MAN. Its an accurate and reliable gun that proven itself to me and thousands of other street cops. At home I keep a Rossi 20 gauge hanging high for fast home protection. Its easy to use and not to big my wife cant handle it.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I own two handguns and am very happy with both. The main question to ask is how much of the time will you spend carrying concealed. My Kahr .40 is a remarkably accurate and powerful weapon, especially when loaded with hollow point ammo. The drawback is that, with a stainless steel body, it's a bit heavy for all day use. Great for home security though. My carry weapon is a .380 Sig Sauer. When loaded with Hanady polymer-filled hollow points, it will stop any threat with a single round. It's as small as a sub caliber get-back gun and light as a feather, but very solid on the range. With proper care, either gun will last a lifetime. Both are battle tested. The Kahr is used by our Navy SEALS and the Sig is the weapon of choice for Israel's Mosad. Can't go too far wrong with either one.

bnbcigars

Lurker
Dec 29, 2011
Washington, DC
The Springfield XD .40 or .45 seems like a good fit for you. These are excellent guns. One of my friends bought one a while back and loves it. I've shot it a few times and I gotta say, as soon as I have the extra money, that is what i'm getting. Or you could always go with the classic Colt 1911. That's my favorite!

Status
Not open for further replies.