PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Typically I wear a 'ball cap'. I have various wool, fitted ones, all black. Sometimes I feel sassy, and will wear a straw cowboy hat I bought in Mexico.
2ib2ts6.jpg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I have a bunch of different hats I wear depending on season and environment. Here in Europe I mostly wear a wool flat cap. In my time living in the Pacific Northwest of USA I often wore a felt hat when out in the forests, good for the rain. In the intermountain west during summer it was a straw cowboy hat to keep the sun off. When I was a poor university student I recall attending two different bluegrass festivals where people offered me money for the hat off my head. After a season of outdoor work they were old looking and beat-in and I suppose folks just wanted the "authentic" look. I took the money. Both times I was given as much money for the old beat up hat as what I had paid for it new.

I share the opinion that hats shouldn't be worn indoors with rare exceptions (indoor riding arenas and other big cavernous spaces that get cold). I recall a friend, an old cowboy in Wyoming who grew up and lived on a large ranch. Having a drink with him in Wyoming at a bar he shook his head at all the men wearing cowboy hats inside. He told me that those weren't real cowboys and hadn't ever learned any damn manners.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I like hats. Wore military uniform hats and caps for 21 years. After that my head felt naked without a hat or cap. Most days is just my ball cap, but I have 3 Fedoras, 2 Panama style Fedora, an Indiana Jones style Fedora and a straw beach hat. My most expensive hat is this Marlon Fernadez from Goorin Bros.

3jVv68z.jpg

One of the days, I'm going to get a hat from the famous Meyer the Hatter in New Orleans.

I saw "Hats" and got excited. But, then read that everyone seems to like hats also. So :::sigh::: nothing special. I guess hats and pipes go together like... chewing tobacco and baseball.
I wear straw hats, pith helmets, planters hats, gamblers hats, cowboys hats, hats hats hats...
Who says you can't wear a pith helmet just anywhere? I have worn mine with a suit and tie. We are pipesmokers, what would we care what people think? Besides, what people think of us is none of our business.
I have red hair with a bald spot, so if I don't wear a hat in the blistering Alabama sun, I burn down to my bones.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
eventually will have a leather tricorn
Because *Captain* Jack Embers, if you please, right?
I've always admired fedoras (real ones, not stingys or trilbys) & Homburgs. Fedoras are just 30s-40s all-business class (Henry Jones, Jr.; Nick Nolte/Chaz Palminteri in Mulholland Drive; that sort of thing). Homburgs? Oh, God, filthy rich upper crust class. Think Alec Baldwin as Lamont Cranston in "The Shadow." But I couldn't rock either of those -- I just don't run in the circles of those who wear hats, even if I do drool over Bogie's fedora.
For me it's ball caps, either FSU football [& yeah, I know they're crap this year :(] or my hockey teams. I need something to protect my balding scalp from melanoma. Yard work, a couple of beater straws. I may pick something classier up in Cozumel next Feb; hope springs, as it were. -laugh-
Bill

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Who says you can't wear a pith helmet just anywhere? I have worn mine with a suit and tie. We are pipesmokers, what would we care what people think? Besides, what people think of us is none of our business.
This guy doe not care. Pipe on belt.
pith-helmet-600x545.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Lord, I told that undertaker

Undertaker, please drive slow
For this lady that you are haulin'

How I hate to see her go.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I wear a hat every single day. I've got quite a number from Panamas, to fedoras by various makers (including a Sternkowski that is a gem and a Borsalino because... well. . .ya gotta), to Stetsons, to my very favorite Akubras.
I wear a hat every day for three reasons:
1. To honor my dad, who would no more have gone to the office without a hat than without trousers.
2. Because hats are eminently practical. Dry in the rain. Warm in the cold. Cool in the heat.
3. Because I look damned good in a hat.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Does anyone know why the "good manner" of not wearing a hat inside or at a table came to be?
There are not very many things you are expected to take off while indoors or eating, so why the hat?
I'm supposing there is a good practical reason to this, like say, in some cultures where you're expected to take your muddy shoes off before walking on the shag carpet. I just can't think of what it might be.
Just curious.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
So there is other hat aficionados apart from me, You boys Americans and Australian fellers real know Your hats,I love seeing this,meanwhile in the Europe Fedoras or other hats (excluding Baseball caps)are becoming quite a rare occasion these days, but this is not me,in the hotter summer days it'll be Panama style fedora or Resistol brand Cowboy straw hat, mid year it'll be either Austarlian Akubra brand,namely Stockman and Campdraft models(type of open road by Stetson) when it gets colder I opt for german style or English style wool flat cap,if and when cold weather is taking full swing here,then I have my Russian Mink fur hat(Ushanka) reserved for those days.Candidly saying,I have put quite a money for the hats in the past.Keep up the good work gentlemen, Greets,P

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Thanks tslex. I have to say though, that explanation with the knights is most unsatisfying. More so if it is true and it remains the primary reason why people (probably without knowing) still do so today.
I don't wear a hat indoors, but honestly, it has nothing to do with respect or manners or any such thing. I just don't have a use for a hat indoors because I only use one to shade sun from my eyes and so never seem to have the opportunity to kick back inside with my hat on.
But, I think that if I were cold and a hat was going to be keeping me warm, I'd be unlikely to take it off indoors if it meant getting cold again. But that's just me. I'd tell you to stuff your manners until I could feel my toes again.
It's an interesting custom. And one that had never made any sense at all to me. Oddly, it's also one of those older customs that some people are incredibly passionate about. Like elbows on the table or things like that. Maybe it's all under the umbrella of good proper english (or old world) manners.

Status
Not open for further replies.