PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I've worn a number of hats over the years as my tastes and styles have changed. As a young guy I often wore a bandana (not really a hat I suppose) before switching to a black leather Harley cap. Then it was a beret, followed by a Resistol 20x Beaver cowboy hat for dress-up and for casual wear my favorite, a cheap but nicely woven Wrangler straw cowboy hat. For hiking I would sometimes wear a straw safari-type hat. For about the last 10 years I've been wearing only flat caps, but only when the cooler weather hits.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

There's a hat shop here in the city/town I live in, but I've not purchased one. I'm a bald fellow and I've owned a Stetson before, but I wear ball caps mostly. I don't wear them often, but when I do I wear WVU and Browns.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm very much a fan of some of the older fashion hats. In addition to the derby, I'd like to add a low crown top hat eventually as well. I think I'll be looking for more derbies in the future of varying colors as well. Perhaps a charcoal, and and a chocolate brown to begin with... something other than black.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
It really annoys me when men wear hats indoors, especially in sit-down restaurants or in church, but I realize no one even a little younger than me was ever exposed to any sort of hat manners or etiquette, so men unwittingly look like louts and yahoos sitting in a white tablecloth restaurant with their hats on.
While I agree, There have been times where my hair was so mussed up from wearing a hat, i would have looked like a caveman who just woke up from a 3 year nap. I always tried to not eat at nicer dining establishments when donning a hat, but when my wife and I would go out she typically chose the restaurant. I thought my hair was more of a insult than the hat.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
The nicest hat I have is a 100x Stetson from when my wife surprised me for Christmas several years ago. As for my favorite hats, they are the baseball style caps my kids and family have purchased for me. One of my daughters travels the world doing ESports and sends me very cool caps. My youngest son and nephew are Marines, currently in Syria and Okinawa and send me some what I call "special" caps. Of course the caps the grandkids give me are on the top hook and I have on my head daily.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
all to no avail, and decided there wasn't such a thing.

Anthony, check out Rand's, they're in Montana. Some western clothing stores have the antique head shape contraptions that take the profile of your noggin that gets sent to Rand's, along with some measurements. Their cheapest hat (which isn't cheap) is still 100% beaver. A beautiful, well made hat.I love mine.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I have several...mostly ball caps with the logos of favorite eating places...also a kermit cap and a Filson oilskin rain hat.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I liker hats and was always going to get a fedora but haven't because it would attract others' eyes. Maybe I'll allow myself this at 65 or 70.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I was in the Navy just after the Civil War, we were only supposed to salute when covered (wearing a hat). So when Presidents started saluting military people when getting on and off Marine One (the helicopter), and the Presidents were always uncovered, it looked wrong.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I have two cowboy hats, one everyday hat and the other is for dress. They’re both shaped like the one Robert Duval wore in Open Range.

And then I have two Tilley hats for hiking or beach combing.

You see a lot of hats in small town Texas, but they’re pretty rare in the cities, like Houston where I live.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My hats from Mexico:
IMG_20180920_210755189.jpg

Gonna model my favorites:
IMG_20180920_210826839.jpg

IMG_20180920_210840056.jpg

Got the white one at the pyramids at Chichen Itza.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a leather outback hat that's been a constant companion for decades, but eventually will have a leather tricorn and coachman.

Jan 8, 2013
but eventually will have a leather tricorn and coachman.
We've had that conversation, Duane. I tricorn would very cool. I was looking at some nice leather coachman and tophats earlier. Sending you a PM with a link to some nice ones.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Yeah - I'm a hat guy too. I've got three fedoras of various styles and a handful of Tilleys for travel and walking. I'm rarely outdoors without something on my head.
Mike

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've always worn hats. I have quite a stack of them. Inexpensive fedoras that are pretty beat up, a few wide brimmed Borsalinos for more formal occasions, including one that can be shaped and reshaped as needed, a few other Italian made fedoras, a couple of Indiana Jones hats, a few straw hats for Summer, that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.