PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Wow.. now that was unexcpected! lol, So your Mr. is the one smoking the Parker. That's great. Well now at least we know who we are talking to. Glad you both are loving your pipes. I hope you have many years of happy smoking ahead of you.
p.s. Are you an Archeologist?

Mar 31, 2014
Of sorts. I'll only just be starting my master's this August, but that is my title at work and it can be a source of pride for me (that's why it's my forum name), but maybe because I'm still so young, I have some difficulty wearing it. I don't even completely consider myself an adult, being 23. I'm in an awkward transition where my education surpasses my experience. Sometimes it's like being a know it all who doesn't know jack.
And Andy and I have been gently fighting over your Parker :)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You are fortunate to start your MA so early: when you get older, it'll kick your butt. I couldn't get start work on mine until I was 29, and it took me two years (I was working at the same time). In later years I would try for an MS in Library Science: I barely made it through one class in one semester.

ragnar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
What an awesome community you guys are... I have some photos below of me enjoying my new Medico pipe, which smokes fantastically. Also got some sweet new blends to try. I sincerely appreciate those of you that made this happen as funds are tight and this is a chance to expand and try new things! I look forward to interacting with this community more and hope to pay it forward in the future. Cheers and all the best from Berwick, Maine.
ANIIyzY.jpg

INDCaG0.jpg

IEkXpNo.jpg

storminnorman

Lurker
Jun 2, 2014
I grew up around my grandpa who smoked pipes. I can remember as a kid the smell of the tobacco and I'm positive that is what makes me still love it today. My problem is that I only have 2 pipes. One I inherited from my grandpa, it is a bent apple my favorite shape, but I am afraid to smoke it because it's very old and I am not sure about it. the other is just a cheap briar I picked up out of a basket in a tobacco shop. I am still pretty inexperienced about packing the perfect bowl and about the different types of tobacco in general. I have been a viewer of these forums for awhile and signed up to start expanding my knowledge. Any help and tips would be great, and if you felt generous enough to give me a pipe and some different tobacco to try I would be very appreciative.

Thank you,

Dusty

pepe3rd1

Lurker
Jun 1, 2014
I'm with storminnorman there, Don't have but a couple of Missouri Meerschaums that was recommended for starters. Love the bent stems, the way they look and feel. Haven't smoked pipes in over twenty years, just getting started all over, not that I was smoking a lot back then. Any suggestions let me know!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey guys welcome to the community. If you are in need we will eventually get you some more pipes and some tobacco, but please join the conversations, ask questions, and become a part of the community. I started this to help new smokers but also to grow the hobby and our online community. Also I am packing to move, we have located a new residence and all of my pies, tools, etc will be in boxes for a week or two so the next round of pipes won't be coming out till then unless of course I get some beauties that don't need any restoration sent to me. I'll keep you informed and be contacting the next batch of recipients ASAP.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
storminnorman, my grandpa also smoked a pipe occasionally and that is one of the main factors that drew ME to trying the pipe. I've only been smoking pipe for a few months, and been on the forum for only a little while, but the community of pipe smokers is just fantastic. I really can't believe the generosity, knowledge and kindness shown.
The packing and lighting/relighting thing is a bit tricky, but started to get easier when I stopped trying so damn hard. Try packing looser than you think you should to see if that helps. Another thing that I've found is getting a good, heavy charring light going, tamp it down a bit and then let the pipe rest for 10-15 mins. For some reason, I have to relight less often this way. I discovered it by always being interrupted JUST as I sit down for a smoke.

storminnorman

Lurker
Jun 2, 2014
Thanks macabra. I know its all about trial and error but it gets annoying sometimes. Some of my best memories are hanging out at my grandparents and every time I smell a pipe or cigar it brings back great memories.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
My favorite part about checking this site is seeing the new folks and their first real hauls. I recall how excited I was when I scored a good pipe and some tobacco that CVS or Walgreens didn't carry. Kudos to all involved and congrats to all you on the receiving end. Very, very cool.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Wow just got a big box of pipes from Briarblues, there is even an unsmoked Zhang Ping, a Chinese carver with matching tamper. Great thing about these is that I don't have to do too much to them, just a base cleaning. Which is great as I just moved and my shop is packed in boxes. He also sent 2 sealed 3.5 ounce tins of Comoy cask #4. This was very generous. I will have the next batch of pipes ready to go out soon.

eyelander

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
I have to say, I've been a part of various forums throughout the years for a variety of different hobbies/interests, but I've never stumbled across such a great community before. Its refreshing to see so many people willing to help one another when newbies are often looked down upon on some forums.
Right now I have a MM Ozark, country gentlemen, and a Stanwell brushed black briar pipe. I only smoke 1-2 bowls a day, and I skip some days so not sure I qualify for the free pipe project. The only reason I'm interested in another pipe at the moment is because I'm not sure if I'm smoking my briar pipe correctly or if its the pipe. It smokes okay but gurgles with every bowl and has a somewhat restricted draw(compared to my MMs) which makes keeping the bowl going a chore at times. I still smoke it all the days I do smoke hoping it will "click" and I can enjoy a perfect bowl more frequently but right now I enjoy my Missouri Meerschaum pipes a whole lot more.
No local B&M here. So at least once I'd like to make my way to a large pipe shop, pick out the perfect pipe, and maybe start up a conversation with a random pipe smoker in the lounge. Until then I plan on taking my time with the hobby and if a free pipe makes it my way I'd really appreciate it.

A big thanks to everyone involved.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Well just got a message from John over at Sutliff/MacBaren. They are going to partner with me and the FPP and send along some extra tins every month to contribute to the project. They have unofficially partnered with us already as I've been sending extra pipe club blends, out to all the guys. He also asked me what blends I would be interested to send out, so I sent him a list of things I'm sure you guys would like from their product line. Sutliff is a great company. Their tobaccos like Charlemagne and Molto Dolce ushered me into the world of pipe smoking. They make tasty aros full of flavor and some really great Englishes. And I believe their connection with MacBaren is pushing their Sutliff line to the next level. One of the blends I recently tried is a broken Flake PerVa. And wow what a blend. So thanks Sutliff for the great product at an affordable price and for all you do to help pipe clubs and new smokers grow into our wonderful hobby.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Have to lend my voice/keyboard in support of this good effort. A little kindness and generosity

can go many miles.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
shaintiques, This is just an awesome project. Thanks for what you do. God's blessings on you.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Crikey, this is some truly fantastic stuff. Hats off to you, shaintiques, and everybody else involved!
Unfortunately, I'm not really in a position to help or anything, being in the UK, which is a bit of a shame. Damn import/export duties...

Status
Not open for further replies.