PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well just got a message from John over at Sutliff/MacBaren. They are going to partner with me and the FPP and send along some extra tins every month to contribute to the project. They have unofficially partnered with us already as I've been sending extra pipe club blends, out to all the guys. So thanks Sutliff for the great product at an affordable price and for all you do to help pipe clubs and new smokers grow into our wonderful hobby.
If this keeps up Dave you're going to have to hire some help ! This has got to be taking quite a lot of time on your part!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Wow, that's fantastic news Dave. The next thing you know your going to start getting seconds from Peterson, Dunhill, Savinelli.. wouldn't that be something!

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
What a great display of camaraderie here, on a lot of levels. Not only for the financial reasons, but for new pipe smokers to start out with a respectable pipe and tobacco and save a lot of wasted motion.
I'm not sure if this will be of any use to anyone or not, but if folks weren't already aware, Scandinavian Tobacco Group is sending out a lot of coupons if you sign up on their site. They are for things like Captain Black, Borkum riff, SWR/SWRA, Half & Half, etc. The coupons are for a 1 dollar pouch-- and they usually send them in pairs, so maybe folks would be interested in signing up for the coupons, getting a pouch for themselves and sending a pouch out for redistribution to new smokers? Captain Black Royal & Sir Walter Raleigh, just to name two, are classics that I think would be a great thing for a new pipe smoker to try to orient themselves a bit.
Here's direct links to where you can sign up for the coupon mailings.
http://captainblackpipe.com/ (link to captain black)
http://www.borkumriffusa.com/? (link to borkum riff)
http://stglanepipe.com/ageGate.aspx?redirect=http%3a%2f%2fstglanepipe.com%2fdefault.aspx (link to general coupon applicable to SWR/SWRA, CB, BR, H&H, Paladin, velvet)
Do what you will with em, charitable or to start up a bit of a collection!
Thanks for doing this, wish I was in a better position to help out with it!

slickbrabec

Lurker
May 9, 2014
Virginia
hey my good friend (sailorjeremy) pointed me towards you, I've been getting into pipe smoking while on deployment but other than that, I'm pretty much a novice. I have one pipe, it's a stanwell, not too sure what kind but it's a good pipe. I'm hooked on this frog Morton stuff, any pointers for a new guy on pipe designs or what smokes best with certain blends? thanks!

cigarsmker

Might Stick Around
Jul 16, 2014
Riverview, FL
After a few years absence from smoking my pipes, I am enjoying smoking them again, it is nice to see a group that is helping spread the wonderful joys of pipe smoking. I lost a great collection and am slowing rebuilding at this time, have truly missed it. It's nice to see the generosity and comradely attitude hasn't changed.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Just checking in and reading about how well this project is going I want to tip my hat to everyone involved. I'm sure Shaintiques has some very good kharma coming his way and I am always amazed at how generous and personable the people at Sutliff are. I love how they stay in touch with their customers through resources like these forums and do the right thing to help our hobby expand (and gain themselves some loyal customers, myself included). Cheers to all.

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
I would like to participate in the new pipe smoker starter project. I don't know if I qualify because I bought 2 Stanwell pipes in May when I started. On the other hand, if qualification is knowledge based, then I feel pretty confident in my lack there of.
I think this is a great thing that y'all are doing and it is something like I haven't seen in other online forums.
Also, early in the thread there was some talk about mentors on the site. I would like to know how to get involved the that. It would be great to be able to get in touch with someone and tell them what happened on a particular smoke and hear their opinions on what I need to do to fix things without having to show the whole community that I am a fool!

goinslow

Lurker
Jul 19, 2014
Well I have been lurking for the last two weeks or so... I guess this would be a good forum to introduce myself!
I have always wanted to take up pipe smoking since working with a person who made a very strong impression on me. He helped mentor me as I was growing in my career and we had many wisdom sharing sessions while he smoked his pipe in front of me. I remeber the scent and the way he would punctuate what he was saying and giving me time to think while he sipped from his pipe. Fast forward 20 years work has me stressed the heck out, life is going by too fast, and my two daughters (loves of my life) 6 and 8 are going to give me a heart attack! :) I know I need to slow down and chill out.
I have a friend who called me over one day and he pulled out a box. Inside that box was 30 old stinky pipe bowls stems missing, broken, or chipped. His Unlce had been a pipe smoker for many years and now was unable to enjoy his hobby any longer. My friend told me to pick out a couple and thought it would be an appropriate tribute to his Uncle (his time is close) that we all have a smoke to sit back and reminisce.
I pick out two interesting bowls one is a "Brakner Antique 100" and the other is a "Preben Holm 300". For different reasons they "called out to me" and I made them mine. I then (in my ignorance) began hitting every toabacco shop I could find in the city I reside, looking for someone that sold stems to no avail. After starting my research online I found www.briarville.com I heard such great things on youtube I contacted Ric and we Skyped and he told me he could fix my pipes... off they went. (about two weeks ago).
In the two weeks since they went off I have been researching, learning, watching everything I can to learn and embrace this new hobby that FINALLY I am starting after wanting to for so many years.
I found this website and joined..... have had several people contact me in PM's answering questions and introducing themselves to me... what wonderfully friendly and helpful community you all are! I cant wait to become a part of it.
SO that is where I am at... no pipes yet. But several things coming together have put me ready to start this new hobby. I am doing my research on what kinds of tobacco to buy, just bought a zippo (very hard decision WHAT to go with there) and a couple pipe cleaners.
Thank you all for making me feel welcome.
Sorry for the wall of text... hope it wasnt too much!
Kevin

kdubk

Lurker
Jul 25, 2014
I bought a Missouri Meershaum corcob pipe about two weeks ago to try getting into the hobby, Tobacco out here in Canada is outrageously expensive due to taxes. I spent $45 dollars for a pouch of captain blacks and $55 for a tin of petersons sherlock holmes blend. I tried smoking and the bowl would completely finish within 5 minutes or so giving me an extremely unpleasant smoke. and earlier today I tried smoking it again and when I placed my finger under the bowl where the sticker was it felt a little hollow so i peeled it off. There's a hole the diameter of the sticker on the exterior of the bowl it isn't charred and it doesn't go all the way through. The hole appears to be about a centimeter deep, and when i feel inside of the hole the cob has a really soft texture in comparison to the rest of the bow. I'll have to upload pics later in a new thread so you guys can get an idea of what I'm talking about. Another member recently told me there was a free pipe project on the forum, and perhaps one of the members would donate me a proper pipe, seeing how good pipes are hard to find in my city. Most of the pipes I've seen are from China and are well over one hundred dollars. I was hoping that I would be a good candidate for this program. Perhaps someone could P.M me as soon as possible to notify me.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok I've got about 20 pipes restored and ready to send out. I also have 42 pipes still needing restored so if I miss you this go around you will probably score on the next one. I also have tons of Sutliff and other blends donated by Sutliff and the fine fellows on here. So you will get a few blends to try and a pipe or two depending on need. Check your pm boxes this week for details.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok pms are out. I have 18 pipes to send out and a butt load of tobacco to share. Remember you guys that are on the receiving end to post pics of what you got. Some of you guys from the last batch never posted up pics. This is a part of the deal.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Some of you guys from the last batch never posted up pics. This is a part of the deal.
Getting free pipes and tobacco and can't even post a freaking pic??
zKHyMHV.gif

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
The FPP is setup to ideally find newer or returning pipers who genuinely could use some pipes and tobacco, not really for the newbie who has the means, but is just looking to expand his rotation for free. Saying thank you and posting pics is just common courtesy; also it kinda hurts if you send someone a nice CARE pack when you don't have much yourself, and they just take it and never post again.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
That is true and though I don't have a number of posts rule, I tend to choose guys who are currently active members of the forum to get contacted. I don't just choose names randomly, there is a system. And part of that is based on post count and recent activity.

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
Stumbled upon this thread. What great idea!

I've been reading tons of forums over the past couple weeks. I became a member two days ago.

Which is also when I made my first pipe and bacci purchase, Dr Grabow Freehand and CBW.

Any way keep up the good work!
With all the knowledge from the friendly peers my first two smokes have been enjoyable! I'm ALL-IN

for this new hobby and community at PM. Thank all you members that give your wisdom and time to us greenhorns! It was not wasted!
This the first time I've ever been part of any Forum. Still have more learning in this area too.

I was looking at my Account and noticed under "activity" that it stated I've not done anything? How can this be? I've made at least 4 posts already. Whats considered as "activity"?

How do I post pics? Add a profile pic? Ect ect!
Looks like I'm Forum bound again! Sure wish I had another pipe in rotation as I go straining my eyes on the Forums. See what I did there?

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
Guys, I am floored by the FPP, I received my shippment today and all I can say is "WOW". Seriously, I am totally speachless but I want everyone to know that I am deeply greatful, thank you very much. As others have said, I would love to know more about my new pipes if you are willing to share and recognize them from my pictures. Also a note on the blends that I received, out of the 11 I was gifted I have only ever tried one which is Golden Age.
OK, here is a list of tobaccos I recieved:

5, Thats right, FIVE tins of Sutliff blends.

-Molto Dolce

-Great Outdoors

-County Cork

-Bosphorus Cruise

-Golden Age
6 Blends in ziplock bags

-Mac Baren Navy Flake

-Mac Baren 7 Seas Red

-Lane LL-7

-Lane Very Cherry

-McClelland Burley by the Slice

-Comoys Cask #4
Pipes:

-The Sherlock Holmes looking pipe is stamped "Imported Briar". Super neat looking pipe, makes me think I need to go buy a deer hunter and start soving mysteries.

-The short fat pipe really interests me, there are no markings and the body almost looks like mahogany and the stem like ebony, I have no idea what to call the shape.

I really hope that the previous onwners are still following the thread and could tell me a little more about these great new pipes.
Pictures:

I don't have a good camera and I am no photographer, I hope they are at least acceptable.

Tins

image1-600x448.jpg

image2-600x448.jpg

image3-600x448.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.