PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
All good points, but I take it you don't like the taste of cologne?
I had that problem with another brand of American bourbon from Kentucky. I have two hypotheses, but I think I would say it was a counterfeit, even the Spanish tax label, when I ran it through the QR scanner, gave me negative information. Then it was when I took a small sip, it tasted like lightning, chemical, ethanol, something like cologne. I returned the bottle to the online store, and explained the problem. Regarding Woodford, I was intrigued that it was less full than the companion on the right. I decided to try it, and apparently, since I am no expert on bourbons, its taste seemed normal. It's amazing that you decide to consume a bottle that has been saved for years, and it turns out that you were saving a fake product for a special occasion. I want to put it as an example. Since I have been keeping distillates at home for a short time. I started somewhat evening.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a restaurant new Woodford Reserve and visited the distillery. Great people.

NO ONE is knocking off bottles of Woodford Reserve, at least not the batch you have shown. ($25/bottle here in the US)

I'd email the distillery, I'm sure they will answer. These storied Kentucky distilleries are very proud of their history and reputation.

Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have a restaurant new Woodford Reserve and visited the distillery. Great people.

NO ONE is knocking off bottles of Woodford Reserve, at least not the batch you have shown. ($25/bottle here in the US)

I'd email the distillery, I'm sure they will answer. These storied Kentucky distilleries are very proud of their history and reputation.
I do not question this beautiful and reputable distillery. I love their bourbons. I appreciate the information my friend. I love US whiskey distilleries. I will send my questions and concerns to this magnificent distillery. Thank you my friend.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I do not question this beautiful and reputable distillery. I love their bourbons. I appreciate the information my friend. I love US whiskey distilleries. I will send my questions and concerns to this magnificent distillery. Thank you my friend.
I'm certain they will respond! The Bourbon Trail in Kentucky is great. Interestingly, Buffalo Trace is NOT part of the trail organization. On my last trip, I missed out on $30 bottles of Eagle Rare, they ran out near my spot in line.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I'm certain they will respond! The Bourbon Trail in Kentucky is great. Interestingly, Buffalo Trace is NOT part of the trail organization. On my last trip, I missed out on $30 bottles of Eagle Rare, they ran out near my spot in line.
I am fascinated by the whiskey distilleries of the USA, especially those in Kentucky and Tennessee. I love these beautiful traditions. I hope one day to be able to visit these mythical distilleries. And of course I wish that these stinking mafias that counterfeit and endanger the health of the consumer are condemned with the utmost rigor and harshness. Thanks for the information my friend.

Reactions: blackpowderpiper

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
In regards to the importers sticker, I wouldn't be concerned. Probably just a label change. The fill levels being different is strange. @TheIronMonkey gave the best suggestion to contact the manufacturer and reference the batch number
This label corresponds to the bottle that is less full, from an importer in France.IMG_6333[9359].jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
In Kentucky if they don't put that disclaimer on, after a little consumption, siblings often end up in a familial way. And, after a vigorous session with a loved one, who doesn't crave a cigarette?
Hey, eait!
Maybe I don’t have to be moderate to be a moderator!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would kill for an Old Forester
John, can you not get your bourbon or other spirits from Amazon in Spain?

That's where I buy the bulk of my spirits. Only last week Jim Beam Black Label was on special offer (£19) so I bought six.

Give it a try.

BTW, congrats on your ladies winning the World Cup, they were by far the better team this morning.

Regards,

Jay

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I can thankfully say I have never had this experience. Probably because I crack every bottle of whiskey I purchase shortly after purchase for the “quality control” department to work their magic.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
John, can you not get your bourbon or other spirits from Amazon in Spain?

That's where I buy the bulk of my spirits. Only last week Jim Beam Black Label was on special offer (£19) so I bought six.

Give it a try.

BTW, congrats on your ladies winning the World Cup, they were by far the better team this morning.

Regards,

Jay
Thank you Jay for the congratulations from the team of players. Yes, I have bought bottles on amazon, I think most of them. Also some of them are from a specialized store in Spain, I mean the seller who sells them on amazon. I had to return a bottle of rye whiskey, it came with the labels badly glued, and did not give me confidence. I have to say that in amazon I never have problems in terms of returns. A couple of weeks ago I bought some bottles of bourbon, and everything is perfect, so far. I hope that in January new batches of whiskey will come out, and I will be able to continue making a modest distilled spirits cellar. I think that in UK you have more variety than here in Spain. Although here, the prices are moderately high. So we still have the same problem as with the damn tobacco, buy and keep. Thanks for the advice my friend Jay. best regards. John.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I can thankfully say I have never had this experience. Probably because I crack every bottle of whiskey I purchase shortly after purchase for the “quality control” department to work their magic.
That would be great, to be able to have the peace of mind to buy some fresh tobacco and favorite bottles. But in Europe they are determined to turn us into automatons. Forcing us to drink distilled water on weekends, or in our moments of relaxation and peace, and to feed on the atoms of the sun. Greetings friend from Spain.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
That would be great, to be able to have the peace of mind to buy some fresh tobacco and favorite bottles. But in Europe they are determined to turn us into automatons. Forcing us to drink distilled water on weekends, or in our moments of relaxation and peace, and to feed on the atoms of the sun. Greetings friend from Spain.
I understand my friend, in the province I live we can only have 1000 g of processed tobacco in our possession at any time and of course price is unreasonable. My cellar is mostly unprocessed whole leaf. With regards to whiskey, my practice results in a number of open bottles that might not age as well as your sealed ones. I just don’t have the discipline to age a sealed bottle.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I'm going to return three bottles of bourbon to the online store in Madrid. It's a bit frustrating, since here in Spain, there is a sticker or tax stamp, with a QR code, that tells you if the reference and lot is correct. Three bottles that I get in negative. So I will not trust this online store again. The brand is a mythical and reputable distillery, which I will not say, out of respect for this fantastic manufacturer. Here I put an example of this tax sticker, which guarantees its authenticity, as long as it appears in green, in the QR code. I want to make it clear that I am talking about counterfeiting by criminal mafias. And that I defend and admire the reputation of US bourbon, whiskey, or scotch whisky distilleries. They do a fantastic job. IMG_6350[10034].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
@JOHN72 if only you were able to come over here for a few weeks.

Of all the places to have a good drink, poured correctly, and with intent to please and lay waste to the drinker, Palm Springs holds its own with any other place in the world. Surrounded by gigantic mountains, the famous Palm Springs pour can easily measure at 4 oz of Alcohol. Two of our drinks from most any of the better bars will lay waste to your knees. We have perhaps some of the finest bars and bartenders who know a thing about cocktails in such a small area. Bootlegger, The Reef Bar, and Tonga Hut are some of my favorites, but so is Trio, Las Casuelas Nuevas, and any number of other great bars and restaurants, to numerous to name. Plus, the bars and restaurants are surrounded by beautiful courtyards, pools, fountains, palm trees, and the ever present bougainvillea and every tropical flower imaginable.

My point is all the world is a desert in terms of any locale being short on providing something. But when it comes to good bars, generous pours, and raw beautiful sexy nights... come visit Palm Springs.

• Love

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
@JOHN72 if only you were able to come over here for a few weeks.

Of all the places to have a good drink, poured correctly, and with intent to please and lay waste to the drinker, Palm Springs holds its own with any other place in the world. Surrounded by gigantic mountains, the famous Palm Springs pour can easily measure at 4 oz of Alcohol. Two of our drinks from most any of the better bars will lay waste to your knees. We have perhaps some of the finest bars and bartenders who know a thing about cocktails in such a small area. Bootlegger, The Reef Bar, and Tonga Hut are some of my favorites, but so is Trio, Las Casuelas Nuevas, and any number of other great bars and restaurants, to numerous to name. Plus, the bars and restaurants are surrounded by beautiful courtyards, pools, fountains, palm trees, and the ever present bougainvillea and every tropical flower imaginable.

My point is all the world is a desert in terms of any locale being short on providing something. But when it comes to good bars, generous pours, and raw beautiful sexy nights... come visit Palm Springs.
Dear friend. That sounds fantastic. I have to visit the U.S. before I quit smoking and drinking whiskey. Here in Spain there is no whiskey culture, but wine, brandy. But, I dream of being in one of those bars in your country, full of bourbons, those bars with that wooden decoration, table of villar, and those cowboy dances. Maybe I'd walk out the door of the bar, like a bullfighter, hahahahahahahahah. I hope it comes true someday. Although I hate long plane rides, I'll bring a flask of bourbon, I guess you can't drink alcohol on airplanes anymore?

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Dear friend. That sounds fantastic. I have to visit the U.S. before I quit smoking and drinking whiskey. Here in Spain there is no whiskey culture, but wine, brandy. But, I dream of being in one of those bars in your country, full of bourbons, those bars with that wooden decoration, table of villar, and those cowboy dances. Maybe I'd walk out the door of the bar, like a bullfighter, hahahahahahahahah. I hope it comes true someday. Although I hate long plane rides, I'll bring a flask of bourbon, I guess you can't drink alcohol on airplanes anymore?
Yes, the drinks on international flights are free.

Cowboy bars, we have them as well. And as a bonus, you can speak to most of the workers in your native language.

But we have a drink here that even in America, most places are fairly naive about the various brands. And that is Tequila. Being so close to Mexico, some of our bars have well over 100 different makes of Tequila.

And our take on Spanish food..., well, my friend, I think overall, we win here as well. Yes, you have magnificent cuisines where you live. But... we have some magical foods here that will leave you with lasting memories of Mexican meals and Margaritas galore. And I am not talking about just tacos, beans, and rice. There is so much more to the cuisine of Mexico. But...I think our Latinas will make your wife jealous. They are hot, sweaty, and full of desire, so much so that they can not keep their hands to themselves. They want only to wrap their lips, legs, and arms around you tightly so that they can feel you and you can feel their warm open breasts pressed against your thighs. If you try to break their hold, they will rip your clothes off you and make uninhibited love to you right their on the bar room floor. If you wife tries to stop them, they will love her as well.

Are you sure you want to wait?

• Love