PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Please Rule 9 for titles' rules.

Should I be worried? I am not an expert in distillates. A few months ago I returned a bottle of bourbon to the distilled spirits specialty store. A well-known brand of bourbon. I had it stored like gold. I decided one special day, to open this bottle, it tasted like cologne. There was no problem, I handed it in and got my money back. My question is: Is it normal that depending on the importer, the labels are different, for example as these that I expose here? In one it specifies its original origin from the factory, in the one from the French importer, it doesn't say where it comes from originally. Is this normal? Besides, one is fuller than the other. Thanks for your wise advice.IMG_6322[9341].jpgIMG_6320[9339].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
While forgeries have become a growing problem, it’s usually higher ticket brands in the aftermarket from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (i.e., Pappy Van Winkle, George T. Stagg, etc.—whskies that are under $100.00 at normal retail prices, but are unfortunately commanding thousands of dollars because of small supply and high demand). Woodford Reserve did expand their distillery to add new pots in 2021—it’s possible there was variance in the batches you own. Your photos are too low resolution to make out details, but you might consider contacting the distillery and provide the batch numbers from the bad bottle you got that tasted like cologne. It’s always possible something went wrong and they might even be aware of the problem.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I wouldn't be surprised at different labels, those seem to change all the time. The fullness of the bottle is strange though.
Yes, the filling clearly shows the difference. What puzzles me is why the French importer does not indicate the origin of the product, as it is clearly indicated on the label on the right.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
While forgeries have become a growing problem, it’s usually higher ticket brands in the aftermarket from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (i.e., Pappy Van Winkle, George T. Stagg, etc.—whskies that are under $100.00 at normal retail prices, but are unfortunately commanding thousands of dollars because of small supply and high demand). Woodford Reserve did expand their distillery to add new pots in 2021—it’s possible there was variance in the batches you own. Your photos are too low resolution to make out details, but you might consider contacting the distillery and provide the batch numbers from the bad bottle you got that tasted like cologne. It’s always possible something went wrong and they might even be aware of the problem.
IMG_6320[9339].jpgIMG_6320[9347].jpg

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
In regards to the importers sticker, I wouldn't be concerned. Probably just a label change. The fill levels being different is strange. @TheIronMonkey gave the best suggestion to contact the manufacturer and reference the batch number

Reactions: JOHN72

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't see anything wrong with the labels. Larger producers create labels specifically for the destination.

I'm not sure what is meant by a cologne taste. Do you mean a perfume-y chemical note or perhaps a soapy flavor?

The only real flaw I can think of that might possibly happen after the bottling process would be oxidation which could cause the above flavors if the oxidation is extreme enough.

Here's an American label for comparison:

1000007227.jpg

1000007228.jpg

Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I don't see anything wrong with the labels. Larger producers create labels specifically for the destination.

I'm not sure what is meant by a cologne taste. Do you mean a perfume-y chemical note or perhaps a soapy flavor?

The only real flaw I can think of that might possibly happen after the bottling process would be oxidation which could cause the above flavors if the oxidation is extreme enough.

Here's an American label for comparison:

View attachment 239792

View attachment 239793
Very appreciated for the information and photos, friend Shanez. Yes, the taste I mentioned, the aftertaste of cologne, very alcoholic, is from a bottle I returned months ago. But not from this brand. Of course I do not say that this variation is a reason for counterfeiting. Today I will taste the bottle from the French importer, to see what sensations it gives me on the nose and palate.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I opened the bottle, did a quiet tasting. In the glass, you can slowly see the tears as they go down, you can appreciate a certain density. The "characteristic" smell of a bourbon. On the nose, I get these notes of wood, glue, or cherry, fruity, sugary notes, caramel. And on the palate a sensation of cherries, or that typical glue or resin, sweetness. Certainly the same aftertaste as some bottles already consumed of this brand. Although I am very suspicious in the world of buying these wonders. A good whiskey. I also finished a couple of bottles of double oak. The only thing I miss about this brand is that the aftertaste is short, not long. But I am happy with this whiskey.

Reactions: kcghost