Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have an easy solution for you @JOHN72 - go lowbrow. Of course I do enjoy finer whiskies and bourbons, but I’ll NEVER buy them. Why, the cost of diminishing returns. Woodford Reserve is about as highbrow as I’ll go in turns of bourbon. The other reason I don’t buy expensive bourbons is because with a little exploration I can find less expensive bourbons that have a very pleasant taste and are only a notch down from the more expensive bourbons. I say all this because as I’ve gotten older I do appreciate quality, but I resent being ripped off.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have an easy solution for you @JOHN72 - go lowbrow. Of course I do enjoy finer whiskies and bourbons, but I’ll NEVER buy them. Why, the cost of diminishing returns. Woodford Reserve is about as highbrow as I’ll go in turns of bourbon. The other reason I don’t buy expensive bourbons is because with a little exploration I can find less expensive bourbons that have a very pleasant taste and are only a notch down from the more expensive bourbons. I say all this because as I’ve gotten older I do appreciate quality, but I resent being ripped off.
Dear friend telescopes. I like your approach. This is an affordable "cheap" bourbon. I would kill for an Old Forester, but at the moment it is not available here in Spain. I'm not a connoisseur of it, but what the hell, my damn tongue loves it. I agree with you.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
@JOHN72

Robert Frost wrote a poem about two roads diverging in the forest and taking the one less traveled. Most people view life as being a choice between two options for almost every decision. For example, you can buy expensive tobacco and bourbon or you can buy less expensive bourbon and tobacco. But I suggest something different. Make your own road. Buy what YOU think tastes great, even if it is looked down as being cheap. Dress the way YOU WANT and live in a way that expresses your own inner joy. Make your own road and no matter where it leads, you will never be lost.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
What's up with the "No Fat Chicks" logo? I find that to be very offensive and alarmingly inappropriate.
Gender assumption, fat shaming and use of the prohibited term "chicks" all in one short post.

This three strike social credit violation earns you a taxpayer-funded 12 month stay at Reeducation Acres.

The People's Bus will arrive at 5am tomorrow morning...please be ready and waiting at the curb...do not bring any luggage.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Gender assumption, fat shaming and use of the prohibited term "chicks" all in one short post.

This three strike social credit violation earns you a taxpayer-funded 12 month stay at Reeducation Acres.

The People's Bus will arrive at 5am tomorrow morning...please be ready and waiting at the curb...do not bring any luggage.

• Haha
Reactions: brian64 and JOHN72

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

Bourbon whiskey is really a generic commodity. If there’s bourbon on the label it must meet government specs.

Not one trace of coloring or favorings can be added.

It must be over 50% corn in the mash bill.

It must be aged at lest two years in new white oak barrels made with staves from the only trusted source in the world, Independent Stave in Lebanon Missouri.

If it says straight bourbon it’s all bourbon, no other whiskeys added.

And all you ever need to know about bourbon is buy the bottle that says

BOTTLED IN BOND

IMG_4683.jpeg

At the bonded level, it’s at least four years old and 100 proof.

Above that you’ll pay a frightful amount more for fractionally better bourbon.

The better stuff has a better taster at the distillery

This year, I’ve been exploring bourbons, Scotch, and the various whiskeys I joined a club here to explore and taste them. And, after trying +$100 bottles, down to cheap Jack Daniels… I’ve found that the more expensive it is, the more it tries to burn my esophagus out. Funny, when I got around to Evan Williams and Jack Daniels, I found that the cheaper it is, the easier it is on my throat. Funny how that works.
But, Bulleit Bourbon has some nuances that I don’t find in cheaper bottles and is also smooth enough to not burn. Their Rye Whiskey is also one worthy if trying.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I had severe sinus problems some years ago which resulted in a loss of senses of smell and taste and ended with sinus surgery
I went to a tasting of Suntory whisky and could not distinguish between a cheap blended whisky at AUD$30 and an uber rare sherry cask Yamazaki at AUD$1000 plus, IF you could find a bottle for sale.
My very unsympathetic friend (seated next to me) said "Ray, think of all the money you can save drinking $30 whisky" 🤔

PS my taste buds and smell apparatus are firing on all cylinders now, following the surgery