PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Just picked up an estate Peterson from an antique store here in town. I've only been into this for a few months and this is my first "real" pipe. With a bit of stain and a stem polish I think it'll clean up pretty good. Not a perfect 10 but I like it, and hey, the price was right! I was trying to figure out the age of it using some of the Peterson collecting websites. Not quite sure if I'm getting anywhere though. I think it's a system pipe judging by the second hole you see when looking down the stem hole. I find it curious that there isn't a model number stamped on the bowl.

Question - Is it common for there to be no model number?
If some of you guys could enlighten me a bit that would be great!

Side note - I've really enjoyed this website and have learned a ton. I appreciate how everyone conducts themselves in such a civil manner. Some true gentlemen here!
estate-peterson-006-rs-150x112.jpg

estate-peterson-003-rs-150x112.jpg

estate-peterson-002-rs-150x112.jpg
estate-peterson-004-rs-150x112.jpg

Hope I posted everything proper.

Thanks for your time fella's!

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Hmm, doesn't seem to have worked. I'll have to investigate here.

sal57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2012
I'll be waiting for those bigger pics, but i'm sure it's nice.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I don't know anything about Peterson's, never had one. But, that is a nice looking pipe. Welcome to the forum.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
From what I've seen in the past, Peterson 'names' their pipes as opposed to giving a model number. Like Silver

Spigot, or Silver Mount Supreme. Your pipe looks like it's close to these categories.... I'd guess it's a military mount stem.

(An Excellent Pipe.... Good Snag!)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Looks like a Premier System Pipe 313 model or simular. They have the sterling silver band and look identical to that pipe. If it has the extra hole (trap) when you remove the stem and look inside, then that is exactly what it is. Here's a link to the website I used to help me come to this conclusion: http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/premier-quality.html
They are $150 brand new, a step up from the $80-100 version called system standard.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Top is my System Standard 307XL, its similar

2012-07-16180127.jpg

BTW the model # on this one is stamped on the underside of the bowl

colesradioactive

Might Stick Around
Apr 3, 2012
Nice score! And you're right, one of the main things that led me to join this forum and continue to post here is the way the members conduct themselves. True class acts here!

Aug 1, 2012
By the way, click on the pics in your profile before copying the URL, that will show the large pictures so you can copy the URL for the larger pics instead of the thumbnails.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Awesome Captain Sousie! I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out the pic thing. I don't think it's a meer due to the weight of it. Also, my poking around in the bowl and stem hole hasn't revealed any white base material. If it is, it's quite gunked up. The stain has worn of the high points of the rustification giving it a lighter look than that nice dark briar tone. That might make it look a bit more "meery". Anyways, I've got it in the oven doing the activated charcoal purification process per G.L. Pease. I'll take a closer look when I get it out.
estate-peterson-006-rs2-600x450.jpg

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Meer would also explain the odd wearing. I've never seen briar wear down to white like that. But hey, that's just my two cents.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Well I just got done looking at it a bit closer even though I'm not sure what I'm looking at or for. Maybe I'll get in touch with this Dave Wolff and see what he has to say. What does a service like his usually cost? This may be a stupid question but here we go, is it worth it to have this thing looked at and restored?

Status
Not open for further replies.