PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
wallace, that is indeed an African Meer Peterson. Yours has a sterling band, mine is just plain nickel.
Looking at pic #2 where the hallmarks are, and looking at this chart HERE I am extremely envious. The hallmarks are indicating 1977 which would make it a birth year pipe for me :worship:
I believe Peterson quit making African Meer pipes in the late 70s / early 80s .....
+1 to the advice that rothnh provided. Every now and again ( after about a dozen bowls ) I wipe the inside of the bowl carefully with a piece of rag that is ever so damp with alcohol, making sure that it doesn't go anywhere else. Of course, I didn't make sure a few times and now my bowl is a few shades lighter in the rim area 8O
African Meer is much much heavier than Turkish Meer and briar as well. My pipe weighs approx 53.3 grams or 1.88 ounces. A similar sized briar Pete ( System 314 ) only weighs about 42 grams or 1.5 ounces .

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
That"s what I thought Roth when I saw it African Meer, you can sand the inside of the bowl lightly, then with a rag dipped in everclear, not soaking wipe the inside of the bowl, be careful and protect the outside so you don"t screw the finish up, shank clean with bristle pipe cleaner dipped in everclear and dry it up and smoke the sucker. The old cajun

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
you can match the hallmarks with this table to get information.

Peterson

you could post your pictures in their forum it's a nice place to visit if you're into Pete's.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
That's great guys! Sounds like I got a better deal than I originally thought. I'm going to send it off to Walker Briar Works for a restore. Looks like he only charges $35 for a restoration. That, including the price of the pipe, and I'm still well under $100 into this thing.

What are the smoking characteristics of African meerschaum supposed to be compared to Turkish meerschaum?

Status
Not open for further replies.