PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
The difference is because GLP and C&D do not share leaf, recipes, or blending philosophies. They are, essentially, two unique and independent blenders who share warehouse space and a tinning line.

That's interesting. Since C&D does the manufacturing for GLP blends, I just assumed they have some arrangement to use C&D-sourced leaf when it makes sense. When a GLP description says "vintage Basma", I think, oh, C&D has Basma from 2014 or whatever; maybe Greg chose that for the blend.

I'd be happy to be corrected -- I definitely don't have a horse in this race.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Mainly Chealsea Morning, which I have every morning with my coffee. But several times a week I'll smoke a bowl of Sparkplug or Quiet Nights in the evening.

Reactions: badbriar

tirefire

Starting to Get Obsessed
As a three-month-long pipe smoker, the only GLP blends I've tried are Chelsea Morning, Quiet Nights, and The Virginia Cream. Quiet Nights is at the top of my list currently. The Virginia Cream was the tobacco that told me that I was not yet ready to smoke Virginia or aromatics.

Reactions: coys

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I just remembered Embarcadero. That was a good one.

And concerning Union Square, I liked it bur I have to point out it was VERY underwhelming and subtle. Pleasant though. I have only had one tin of it, and it had 10 years age on it.

Reactions: renfield

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
Filmore is an underrated VA/Per. I really enjoy quiet nights after about 2 years. It rounds off and gets this natural sweetness. Montgomery is another blend I find interesting. Admittedly, I still have a lot of the GLP English blends to try.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Tough question. I don't smoke latakia, so toss those blends out to begin with.
Fresh from the factory I think Cairo does it for me the best. I like it new and it gets fantastic with some age.

Regents Flake is a very close second for me. It's a legit blend fresh but I've never had it with substantial age. It hasn't been around that long really- what, 5 or 6 years? Temple Bar too, but I may actually prefer the flake.

I'm hoping the forthcoming Geometrie fits in with the Cairo/Regents/Temple Bar family. It's a genuinely exciting happening when a new blend can stand out to me.
So you like the Orientals eh? I still gotta track down some Cairo with age on it, have you tried Rajah's Court?
I'm with you on Gemoetrie, don't usually get too excited about a new blend but I'm hoping for some magic with this one.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Maltese Falcon.
I really like this stuff because...............I really like this stuff. puffy

Gaslight, for when I feel the need for a bit of a nic hit.

Reactions: Elric

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
My selections are limited by my dislike of latakia. I would go for Union Square and Virginia Cream.

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
My selections are limited by my dislike of latakia. I would go for Union Square and Virginia Cream.
There are roughly 20 in-production GLP blends that do not have Latakia in them. You might find some hidden gems!

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
It's just got to be Windjammer for me. Excellent VaPer that is robust and slightly boozy, but never harsh. Great out of tin, and benefits from age enough to make it jarring it for a length of time worthwhile.

But I would say that Barbary Coast is a close second for me. I'm a burley guy through and through, and BC scratches an itch that, for me at least, is fairly unique to it. I wish Gl Pease had more burley-centric blends, because the ones they do have tend to be quite good.

I'd also like to say that Stratford is a very underrated blend. Another great VaPer.