Favorite GLP

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

So many, it would actually be easier to just write about the ones I don't like. But...

Laurel Heights and Lombard, because they have just the slightest hint of latakia. It is just enough to give these a slight leathery flavor. I probably smoke Laurel Heights more than Lombard lately, as I am losing my taste for perique these days.

Ashbury, because the Orientals all come together to give this one the slightest ever changing incense like flavors. It really is a kaleidoscope of flavors ever changing as you smoke it.

Virginia Cream is really nice. It took me a while to realize that the flavors that I liked in this were coming from the tobaccos. It does have an ever so slight bourbon topping, but that dissipates quickly. It's almost fizzy on the tongue.

Haddos Delight. I really liked this one a lot a few years ago. I actually couldn't control myself when I would pop a tin. I would just smoke it all down in a few days. I am not sure if it is me, or if perique has changed. I am starting to get sick of it. I am starting suspect that something is going on with perique. YMMV

I could go on and on, but these I keep the most cellared of GLP's.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I like a number of GLP blends but Stonehenge Flake is/was my favorite. It was the blend that made me a VaPer smoker. When I first tried it a number of years ago, it had a delicate but noticeable Lakeland essence—pleasantly floral, not chocolate, to my palate. I'm not sure whether the recent iteration of Stonehenge was manufactured by Gawith or C&D but the Lakeland essence seemed less pronounced towards the end of its run. I hope GLP decides to resurrect this collaboration with John Gawith because Stonehenge was a unique and delicious blend, and I only have a half dozen tins left!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Tough question. I don't smoke latakia, so toss those blends out to begin with.
Fresh from the factory I think Cairo does it for me the best. I like it new and it gets fantastic with some age.

Regents Flake is a very close second for me. It's a legit blend fresh but I've never had it with substantial age. It hasn't been around that long really- what, 5 or 6 years? Temple Bar too, but I may actually prefer the flake.

Stonehenge is a fun change-up blend for me, but I'm kinda hoarding the last 3 or 4 tins I have.

Embarcadero and Union Square are both very good but I think they taste substantially better after 6-8 years.

Haddos Delight is overbearing to my palette BUT I've smoked it from a 20ish year old tin and it was so enjoyable.

I'm hoping the forthcoming Geometrie fits in with the Cairo/Regents/Temple Bar family. It's a genuinely exciting happening when a new blend can stand out to me.

BCF

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
I've been smoking a good bit of Windjammer lately, and Westminster scratches my English itch. But my favorite is his resurrection of the Drucquer & Sons blend Blairgowrie. I never had the original to make any comparison, but I sure like this a lot. It hits on all cylinders for me.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Telegraph Hill. A VaPer that comes in a soft ribbon cut and is less harsh and less bitter than Elizabethan. This is one of the real underrated blends in the GLP range. Have 10 tins aging.
Noted and added to my list. Thank you for the recommendation!!

Reactions: dunnyboy and BCF

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Windjammer and Westminster are my favorites. Chelsea Morning is good if I'm in the mood for it. I've got 3 or 4 other GL Pease blends open, but I haven't smoked enough of them to have an opinion. The only blend that I don't particularly care for is Gaslight, but I think that's probably just user error on my part.