PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I can't get it, so I couldn't care more or less for it. Or actually I do care but I try to mask it with saying "I don't care".

What I think is peculiar is that these small badges pop up now every 2/3/4 months. I do understand this is from a marketing standpoint very smart as the talk on socials about Folklore hasn't died down yet and therefore the brand stays relevant in social feeds. You could say this is a small release & therefore a "small badge". But I honestly think it's to much releasing a "small badge" every 2/3/4 months. But that's maybe why I'm not in marketing ?‍♂️.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Without going back to far is this basically a 2022 version? Or will it be a re release of the original leaf/recipe

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I probably won't buy unless it's significantly changed.

Otherwise, I bought a large amount of the first release.

I don't find it like the other burley blends I've tried. Closest is probably Pegasus? Dunno, but with the dash of vanilla and Orientals, it's a whole different beast. Also the red VA has a small contribution, but it's noticeable in its juxtaposition against bright VA.

I've tried adding to the blend with all kinds of premium components - McClelland and other aged Va's, different varieties of Orientals or Burleys, burleys, OTCs too. I find the blend best as-is.

To say I'm a fan is an understatement.
FWIW, blend genres I like include Va, VaPers, oriental blends (hold the latakia please), burley blends, and OTCs.

I've smoked through a couple tins of the original release, and have jarred a tin as well. The initial aromatic nature of the blend, which was strongly present, subsides pretty quickly over time. The most recent tin opening had much less of a vanilla presence then when the blend was first released.

I've yet to see any appreciable benefit of the little age (not quite a year) it has developed. Time will tell.

I don't find it like the other burley blends I've tried. Closest is probably Pegasus? Dunno, but with the dash of vanilla and Orientals, it's a whole different beast. Also the red VA has a small contribution, but it's noticeable in its juxtaposition against bright VA.
Sure, sure, if I smoke it fresh and focus really hard, I can pull those subtle flavors that make it unique, and for that it is a one of a kind. But, I find that after drying the hell out of it and smoking it on the go, it is pretty much just like the rest of the VaBurs like Golden Extra and PS Cube Cut, same basic tastes that I love these for. I can barely even taste the orientals anyways.

But Pegasus? Pegasus is more of a powerhouse blend, not quite Kellys Coin or Burley Flake #1, but it has a wallop that 8 State doesn't, and it is way more of an acrid taste, which I like about Pegasus, but I don't find it anything like 8 State, IMO. 8 State is more smooth, IMO. But, it's interesting how people's tastes work differently like this.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
I think the line that pissed me off was The Beast. I really wanted to try that blend, I stayed up till midnight, and it was sold out. Maybe a timezone thing, but it rubbed me wrong.

Anyway, I have my Indian. Just another excuse to go riding when not smoking.
Shoot, I only had 1 tin of the Beast...If it makes a comeback again I'd seriously consider creating multiple accounts like a scummy dirtbag...it's that good. I have enough Redburn to fill that 8 State Burley itch

Reactions: telescopes

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I think we're all on the same page of there being many C&D blends that can scratch the itch, or surpass 8SB (preferences depending), without all that comes with small batch release.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I see where this is going. They will just keep rereleasing small batches, so that they can keep those pipesmokers that are willing and able to stay up till midnight can stay supplied. puffy
One can only hope
It's a nice Burley blend. I picked up a few tins of the first release but I prefer Haunted Bookshop.

Now, in my head this is in Hank Hill's dangit Bobby voice, dang it C&D where's my From Beyond?